Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why do most of my fellow economic libertarians hate economic liberty?

You've embarrassed yourselves when it comes to arguing against college players getting paid.

Fucking Dreckfest.

Comments

• It's fucking capitalism people.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Libertarian Economy = Liberty to be Fucked by Capitalism
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,564 Founders Club
    Tailgater said:

Libertarian Economy = Liberty to be Fucked by Capitalism

This
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Look at me, I like to create hybrid threads based on another poster's original thread.

I get paid (Libertarian Economy) to drive clicks around here, and if the Minister of DisInformation continues to impact my revenue streams he will be hearing the Vanilla lawyers once they are finished with the site transition.

You have been warned.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    I like to be in favor of all sorts of shit and just ignore the reasons why it will never happen. Gotta go feed my unicorn and jump over a rainbow now.

The intellectually lazy argument is - the players need to be paid!!!111!!

OK, I'm in. Now what?
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    In the spirit of liberty and human rights, we can decide now to pay collegiate football playing athletes enough so that they're free to own wheels, dress cool, and take themselves (and a girlfriend) out for a movie and cheeseburger-milkshake date once a week. Or we can wait for the Libertarians to suck(capitalize) the life out of our favorite Game. I don't know what I'd do with all my unused entertainment money if that happened. Give it away for public education of the 1% elites I suppose.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Because it currently in equilibrium. Your advocating forced wage levels when the current wage is attracting a qualified and eager labor pool.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    Two competing thoughts; second one wins.

1. In a free market society, it makes perfect intellectual sense to pay players in a sport that generates 100s of millions of dollars in revenue in large measure because of the players.

2. In this free market society, we have multiple exceptions to the free market default rule that makes life better, and keeping college football amateur-based is but one of them.

On second thought, they are not competing thoughts at all.

1. In a free market society, it makes perfect intellectual sense to pay players in a sport that generates 100s of millions of dollars in revenue in large measure because of the players.

2. In this free market society, we have multiple exceptions to the free market default rule that makes life better, and keeping college football amateur-based is but one of them.

If the current pay is inadequate, why would someone choose to participate? Answer: the current compensation is adequate to maintain a qualify labor pool.

Why are coaches paid so much? Answer: same as above.
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,051

I think college football players should get health coverage from their schools at minimum and get some additional $. More than $2000 IMO. Giving them too much tho will lead to other various problems.

Also, we need more steel for our stadiums.
    edited January 2014
    priapism said:

I think college football players should get health coverage from their schools at minimum and get some additional $. More than $2000 IMO. Giving them too much tho will lead to other various problems.

Also, we need more steel for our stadiums.

They do get health coverage.

I think $2250 would be more appropriate than $2000.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    I hear they may want feces as well. Can we make that happen?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Look at me, I like to create hybrid threads based on another poster's original thread.

I get paid (Libertarian Economy) to drive clicks around here, and if the Minister of DisInformation continues to impact my revenue streams he will be hearing the Vanilla lawyers once they are finished with the site transition.

You have been warned.

If you can't see that this thread is another opportunity for you to drive clicks, not even Adam Smith himself can help you.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Because it currently in equilibrium. Your advocating forced wage levels when the current wage is attracting a qualified and eager labor pool.

I like to be MikeDamoneFuckingStupid and claim the current wage levels are not forced.

I do that.
    edited January 2014

I like to be MikeDamoneFuckingStupid and claim the current wage levels are not forced.

I do that.
    I like to be svenfuckingstupid and act like there is a labor shortage at the current wage and that people aren't entering into the labor market voluntarily at the current wage.

Now, if you want to talk about the prohibition on selling their name or the fact that the NFL lowers their business costs on the taxpayers funding of many football programs, then we could have a better economic discussion.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000
    edited January 2014

If the current pay is inadequate, why would someone choose to participate? Answer: the current compensation is adequate to maintain a qualify labor pool.

Womp. Don't feel compelled to rationalize it in yet another "you see? the market works" apology.

The current pay is adequate only in that it is part of a monopoly that would otherwise violate the anti-trust rules. All participants in this monopoly collude, by definition, by agreeing to offer the same deal. It's price fixing. It's collusion. If it weren't exempted from the anti-trust laws, the FTC and DOJ would break it up and fine the living shit out of everybody. There is nothing free market about NCAA membership and cfb. Not even fucking close.

As such, the participants, many, many, many of which are black, relatively poor and stupid, have no other choice. This is the NFL farm system. Period.

You don't have to do all that. It's an exception to free market principles. Just like public school and welfare. Don't over think it. Have another one of your faggy glasses of whine instead.
    edited January 2014

Womp. Don't feel compelled to rationalize it in yet another "you see? the market works" apology.

The current pay is adequate only in that it is part of a monopoly that would otherwise violate the anti-trust rules. All participants in this monopoly collude, by definition, by agreeing to offer the same deal. It's price fixing. It's collusion. If it weren't exempted from the anti-trust laws, the FTC and DOJ would break it up and fine the living shit out of everybody. There is nothing free market about NCAA membership and cfb. Not even fucking close.

As such, the participants, many, many, many of which are black, relatively poor and stupid, have no other choice. This is the NFL farm system. Period.

You don't have to do all that. It's an exception to free market principles. Just like public school and welfare. Don't over think it. Have another one of your faggy glasses of whine instead.
    No other choice? Lol ok. So now it's poor stupid black people not having a choice and being ripped off? Is that why smart not poor white kids also play?

The NCAA isn't exempt from anti trust laws. Check the facts. They aren't shielded from anti trust lawsuits or government action. Dumb fuck.

What else you got since that was the basis for your fucktarded post.

Players are being willing to start telling the NCAA no, we won't play for what your giving us would be the first step in getting more. That's what it's going to take. But if kids are lined up to take what is being offered, then no..it won't change.

If players are paid as employees, would it be OK to pay star players more? Absolutely it should be.

And I do have an issue with the NFL reducing their business costs at the expense of taxpayer funded institutions. Fuck them, they need to pay full freight for their farm system and for their stadiums.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    Shit. Unleashed. Belongs.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

You've embarrassed yourselves when it comes to arguing against college players getting paid.

Fucking Dreckfest.

It's fucking capitalism people.

College football trumps capitalism.