Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite Gin Based Cocktail?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2019
    Negroni

I wonder if any of you know what a Dry Martini is...

1 to 1 Gin and Vermouth. Bitters. Lemon twist.

But damn it, DDY, chilled, shaken gin with just a little dry vermouth and an olive is damn good. It's event better with cocktail onions.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,206
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Martini

Your favorite vermouth rant is part of why I order my martinis extra dry.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,206
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Martini

But damn it, DDY, chilled, shaken gin with just a little dry vermouth and an olive is damn good. It's event better with cocktail onions.
    Gin, "'Glance at the vermouth bottle briefly while pouring the juniper distillate freely'", stirred(but shaken is fine too), extra olives to the point of making it dirty or if it's cheap gin a splash of olive juice is fine.

Bombay sapphire or Hendrick's is my typical go to.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni
    BearsWiin said:

Many years ago I was good friends (still am) with local milf who got left by her schmuck husband. My middle son was besties with her son in kindergarten, so we had a lot of opportunities to chat. Then husband leaves her, and our chats became more about her venting about her asshat ex and figuring out how to manage the transition from stay-at-home wife to single divorced mom. So after a few years she was finally ready to get out there and date, and one of the activities that she did to get herself out there was take a local salsa dancing class. Turns out all the guys in the class were late-20's South American expatriates, many of whom seemed to (understandably) want to get in her pants. So this one guy named Sergio finally convinced her to come back to his place after class one evening, was a perfect gentleman, very formal and nervous (maybe because she was probably 14 years older than he was). Only thing he has to drink is blackberry Manischewitz in the fridge, so he brings it out. She held it together while she was there, but afterward was absolutely cackling to me about this poor Chilean kid offering her Jewish berry wine. I kinda felt bad for the kid, he's just doing the best he can, and she's laughing about it behind his back (no real malice, just the absurdity of it). So next time she's over for wine and cheese I whip out a bottle of blackberry Manischewitz, and she loses it in front of wife and me. We all have a good laugh, then decide to experiment with the berry wine to see if there's anything we can make of it. Turns out that three parts Manischewitz, one part gin, and a splash of lemon juice makes for a refreshing beverage in a wine glass, three ice cubes. We named it the Sergio.

Otherwise, I can't stand gin

I don’t flag people for no pics. But still...
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    Tom Collins

As far as I can

Gin, "'Glance at the vermouth bottle briefly while pouring the juniper distillate freely'", stirred(but shaken is fine too), extra olives to the point of making it dirty or if it's cheap gin a splash of olive juice is fine.

Bombay sapphire or Hendrick's is my typical go to.
    There's really no reason to overthink it

Sapphire is solid
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Martini

Some of us have been drinking longer than you, believe it or not.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    Martini
    BearsWiin said:

Many years ago I was good friends (still am) with local milf who got left by her schmuck husband. My middle son was besties with her son in kindergarten, so we had a lot of opportunities to chat. Then husband leaves her, and our chats became more about her venting about her asshat ex and figuring out how to manage the transition from stay-at-home wife to single divorced mom. So after a few years she was finally ready to get out there and date, and one of the activities that she did to get herself out there was take a local salsa dancing class. Turns out all the guys in the class were late-20's South American expatriates, many of whom seemed to (understandably) want to get in her pants. So this one guy named Sergio finally convinced her to come back to his place after class one evening, was a perfect gentleman, very formal and nervous (maybe because she was probably 14 years older than he was). Only thing he has to drink is blackberry Manischewitz in the fridge, so he brings it out. She held it together while she was there, but afterward was absolutely cackling to me about this poor Chilean kid offering her Jewish berry wine. I kinda felt bad for the kid, he's just doing the best he can, and she's laughing about it behind his back (no real malice, just the absurdity of it). So next time she's over for wine and cheese I whip out a bottle of blackberry Manischewitz, and she loses it in front of wife and me. We all have a good laugh, then decide to experiment with the berry wine to see if there's anything we can make of it. Turns out that three parts Manischewitz, one part gin, and a splash of lemon juice makes for a refreshing beverage in a wine glass, three ice cubes. We named it the Sergio.

Did you bake her some cookies?
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

She's been getting my cookies for ten years now. She'll get some more Saturday evening
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    Martini
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

She's been getting my cookies for ten years now. She'll get some more Saturday evening
    Shhhhhwing
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Tom Collins
    BearsWiin said:

These are the kind of stories that make these kinds of threads ... awesome

What’s her # ???
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Singapore Sling
    The Dry in 'Dry Martini' just refers to dry vermouth.

A lot of these things are hard to nail down, but it does seem that the Martini came from a drink called the Martinez, which was gin, SWEET vermouth, curacao and bitters.

Then the DRY martini had dry vermouth. A 'Perfect' Martini has both dry and sweet.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gin Fizz
    True story. The one and only time I tried a negroni was after hearing @Dennis_DeYoung say he was drinking one while doing the podcast. Never again.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Singapore Sling

True story. The one and only time I tried a negroni was after hearing @Dennis_DeYoung say he was drinking one while doing the podcast. Never again.

They are weird. It's one of those things that when you develop a taste for them, you can want them all the time, but if you don't... it's not good at all. First time I had one I thought I was going to die.

My only comment is - did you have fresh vermouth?

Campari is a weird taste.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gin Fizz

They are weird. It's one of those things that when you develop a taste for them, you can want them all the time, but if you don't... it's not good at all. First time I had one I thought I was going to die.

My only comment is - did you have fresh vermouth?

Campari is a weird taste.
    I didn't make it myself with fresh vermouth, so I'm going to assume that no, it was not fresh.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni

The Dry in 'Dry Martini' just refers to dry vermouth.

A lot of these things are hard to nail down, but it does seem that the Martini came from a drink called the Martinez, which was gin, SWEET vermouth, curacao and bitters.

Then the DRY martini had dry vermouth. A 'Perfect' Martini has both dry and sweet.

That's what I just said Professor!! I am going to make myself one of these "Dry" martinis this weekend with some fresh Dolin and see how I like it. A little bitters and lemon twist right?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni
    Tequilla said:

BearsWiin said:

These are the kind of stories that make these kinds of threads ... awesome

What’s her # ???
    @BearsWiin is alwasy good for a story. But this is to be expected as row boaters are the most cerebral of all student athletes. Golf is prolly second.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think this has a name. Gin buck would be the closest but this is made with lime, not lemon. It's just gin and ginger ale with fresh lime. I squeeze half a lime and then leave a wedge in the drink.

https://beehivedistilling.com/spirits/jack-rabbit
    best gin I've ever had, if you like gin, find it, drink it ... can't stop.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Negroni
    89ute said:

I don't think this has a name. Gin buck would be the closest but this is made with lime, not lemon. It's just gin and ginger ale with fresh lime. I squeeze half a lime and then leave a wedge in the drink.

I met a gin soaked barroom queen once in Memphis.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

I met a gin soaked barroom queen once in Memphis.
    Me too, and I actually accepted the ride upstairs.