Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Deserves Owen: UW Pro Day

I know this has been followed all day in the Husky Jacks thread, but I found an interesting piece by Draft Analyst Rob Rang and it’s a lot to post.

It’s free so I’m going to copypasta all of it here.

Rapp:

In front of a crowd of NFL scouts and coaches that one long-time University of Washington employee characterized as the largest he had ever seen at a Huskies’ Pro Day, a bakers’ dozen of draftable ‘Dawgs worked out Monday.

I attended the event, as I have for the past several years and, honestly, I lost track after 60 different NFL personnel walked through the doors of the Dempsey Indoor practice facility, including multiple members of the Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, and Tennessee Titans and, of course, hometown Seahawks.

It wasn’t difficult to understand why. The consensus top three UW prospects – cornerback Byron Murphy, safety Taylor Rapp and offensive tackle Kaleb McGary still all had significant questions left to answer, despite each impressing at the NFL Scouting Combine a month ago.

Unfortunately for Rapp, a three-time all-Pac-12 pick, the answer he provided was more of a thud than an exclamation point, clocking a pair of mid 4.7 second 40-yard dash times that could leave his stock tumbling in a tightly packed safety class.

No word on whether the dinner he had Sunday night with the representatives of the Oakland Raiders (or the lunch earlier in the day with the New Orleans Saints, for that matter) contributed to Rapp’s disappointing time.

Savvy scouts won’t rely just on the 40-yard dash time with Rapp, who was the quickest of all the safeties tested in Indianapolis in the short shuttle (3.99 seconds) and third fastest in the 3-cone (6.82 seconds).

Straight-line speed was always the question with Rapp, a three-time All-Pac-12 pick who, in my opinion, is the most reliable open-field tackler in this draft class, regardless of position.

Teams won’t have to look far for a comparable player who struggled in the 40-yard dash only to prove a steady-eddy at safety. Current Seahawks’ starter Bradley McDougald was clocked at 4.74 seconds when he entered the NFL in 2013. Others successful safeties in the NFL with similar times included Kam Chancellor (4.69), Daniel Sorensen (4.67) and George Iloka (4.66).

I may not be the only one who feels that Rapp is on his way towards bucking the odds.

According to multiple sources close to him, Rapp has 11 visits and/or workouts planned in the coming weeks with trips to Detroit and Dallas this week.

While this video does not make it easy on those trying to time Rapp's 40-yard dash, it does illustrate the interest teams had in its result.

Comments

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Murphy was timed at 4.55 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the Combine and, frankly, surprised me a bit when he opted not to try to better his time. He did run the shuttle drills Monday, providing answers to boxes left unchecked in Indianapolis.

After measuring in at 5-11, 189 (one pound less that at the Combine), Murphy was clocked at 4.15 seconds in the short shuttle, 6.83 seconds in the 3-cone drill and 11.25 seconds in the 60-yard shuttle – each middle-of-the-pack times that, like Rapp, won’t mean much to scouts who watch the tape.

It appeared that a member of the Carolina Panthers was waiting for Murphy after Monday’s workout. He conduced a quick interview with Omar Ruiz of The NFL Network but turned down a few others as he hurried out the door. Along with the Panthers, the Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Rams, Saints, Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have all expressed significant interest in Murphy, I was told.

• Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    It was clear today who the scouts thought were UW’s “big three,” but two of the most prolific skill-position stars in Husky history also performed well with Jake Browning showing noticeably improved arm strength than from even the Combine and certainly from when I had watched him on the field at the Rose Bowl and Apple Cup. Clubs have taken notice. Browning has multiple clubs asking for a closer look, as well, according to multiple sources.

That’s a credit to work done by former BYU and NFL quarterback-turned QB guru John Beck, who I remember watching from the stands as one of the first members of the media allowed into the QB workouts at the Combine back in 2007.

Making Browning look that much better was a couple of sweet catches by running back Myles Gaskin and tight end Drew Sample.

Gaskin, in particular, had a grab down the right sideline on a deep wheel route that initially looked as if Browning had overthrown – but his star back found a second gear and pulled it in, just as he did earlier in the day when shaving a few precious hundredths of a second off of the 4.58 40-yard dash time recorded in Indianapolis.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Thanks for the copypasta.

Funny how this short term "fix" for Browning's arm is somehow going to bamboozle NFL types to ignore his college career.

But this is the NFL. Anything can happen.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,056
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

It was clear today who the scouts thought were UW’s “big three,” but two of the most prolific skill-position stars in Husky history also performed well with Jake Browning showing noticeably improved arm strength than from even the Combine and certainly from when I had watched him on the field at the Rose Bowl and Apple Cup. Clubs have taken notice. Browning has multiple clubs asking for a closer look, as well, according to multiple sources.

That’s a credit to work done by former BYU and NFL quarterback-turned QB guru John Beck, who I remember watching from the stands as one of the first members of the media allowed into the QB workouts at the Combine back in 2007.

Making Browning look that much better was a couple of sweet catches by running back Myles Gaskin and tight end Drew Sample.

Gaskin, in particular, had a grab down the right sideline on a deep wheel route that initially looked as if Browning had overthrown – but his star back found a second gear and pulled it in, just as he did earlier in the day when shaving a few precious hundredths of a second off of the 4.58 40-yard dash time recorded in Indianapolis.
    Overthrown.... shit britches... bull shit.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,983
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles said:

If such a huge improvement in arm strength can come in just a few weeks who dropped the ball the last 4 years? Browning or the coaching staff?

He has always been a 7 on 7 no defense warrior so I suspect he'll revert back to old ways under live fire.

Just bizarre his complete regression during his college career. Would be pretty hilarious if he ends up making a 53.

I want Browning to be an NFL star just so we can commit mass seppuku.
    Tom Brady 2.0
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    Swaye's Wigwam

If only their was a game at the end of the season where Rapp could have show cased his skills in a high stakes setting with a lot of people watching.

Against one of the top QBs and WRs in the country...
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

If only their was a game at the end of the season where Rapp could have show cased his skills in a high stakes setting with a lot of people watching.

Against one of the top QBs and WRs in the country...
    Never heard of him. Didn't see anybody playing for OSU at WR that was impressive versus UW. A couple guys wide open over the middle for touch downs and first downs because Rapp was out and Jojo sucks. Other than that, nothing. No fucking way he's a first rounder. Third round at best.

Yeah, never heard of any of them. Where are the first rounders? Ohio State has recruited top-5 classes. No first rounders? Who did they have this season that was nationally elite? Who the fuck is Parris Campbell? Never heard of him. First round my ass.

Never heard of him. He did nothing impressive in the Rose Bowl. Ohio State guys are always over hyped and do nothing in the NFL.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,397
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

If such a huge improvement in arm strength can come in just a few weeks who dropped the ball the last 4 years? Browning or the coaching staff?

He has always been a 7 on 7 no defense warrior so I suspect he'll revert back to old ways under live fire.

Just bizarre his complete regression during his college career. Would be pretty hilarious if he ends up making a 53.

I want Browning to be an NFL star just so we can commit mass seppuku.
    The doog narrative of GOAT Husky QB will never cease if he even ends up a career clipboard warrior.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Anyone wearing shorts and a hoody?