Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pac-12 Presidents Propose Outline on Restructuring NCAA Model

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,445
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited May 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-pac-12-presidents-back-new-ncaa-model

Worth a read. Be interesting to see how the SEC and other conferences respond to this model, specifically these points:

— Decrease the demands placed on the athlete in-season, correspondingly increase the time available for studies and campus life, by preventing the abuse of organized "voluntary" practices to circumvent the limit of 20 hours per week and more realistically assess the time away from campus and other commitments during the season.

— Similarly decrease time demands out of season by reducing out-of-season competition and practices, and by considering shorter seasons in specific sports.

It looks like this is the path that will eventually be college football in a few years.

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Seems to me that the real point of the letter is to press for reforms so as to kill the CFB players' union in the womb. Pac-12 presidents are the smartest guys in the room, as always. What will be funny is when the SEC stonewalls this effort and finds themselves running a semi-pro league with unionized players.

Nice find. This is a big of news as you'll see in the CFB world between now and fall camp.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The best part of the whole document, IMO:

Address the "one and done" phenomenon in men's basketball. If the NBA and its Players Association are unable to agree to raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men's basketball.

Seriously, the Pac-12 is actually on point for once. Maybe Larry Scott can keep his job after all.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    interesting. I didn't see much mention of the stipend (?)... these guys are getting nervous.

My plan has no traction. Just treat it simply: split the gate money 50/50, players and university. You go to a game to see the players, right?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So every player won't be straying in seattle all summer to workout?
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You go to a game to see the players, right?

Nope. I don't. The players come and go; I go to the game to see the Huskies.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    One day, the SEC will realize you do not need the NCAA to have college football, and begin paying players without limits on time you can practice.

Is the freshman-ineligible policy to make sure the best players do not go to Pac 12 schools? And someone needs to remind the author that there is no age limit in the NBA.
  • Options

One day, the SEC will realize you do not need the NCAA to have college football, and begin paying players without limits on time you can practice.

Is the freshman-ineligible policy to make sure the best players do not go to Pac 12 schools? And someone needs to remind the author that there is no age limit in the NBA.

Huh?

The current eligibility rules were established under the NBA's 2005 collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which expired in 2011, resulting in a lockout. The new CBA, approved in December 2011, made no changes to the draft rules, but called for the NBA and its players union to form a committee to discuss draft-related issues.[8][9] The basic rules that started in the 2006 draft are:

All drafted players must be at least 19 years old during the calendar year of the draft.[10] To determine whether a player is eligible for a given year's draft, subtract 19 from the year of the draft. If the player was born during or before that year, he is eligible.
    Any player who is not an "international player", as defined in the CBA, must be at least one year removed from the graduation of his high school class.[10]
    The "one year out of high school" requirement is in addition to the age requirement. For example, although O. J. Mayo turned 19 in November 2006, six months before his high school graduation, he was not eligible until the 2008 draft, a year after his high school class graduated. Stern stated the rules were business-related and not a "social program", citing the need to see players perform against higher competition before they are evaluated for valuable draft picks.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_draft
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    TTJ said:

You go to a game to see the players, right?

Nope. I don't. The players come and go; I go to the game to see the Huskies.
    so, that's why my plan gives 50% of the gate to the university.

I think the genesis of this movement, and what people are so uncomfortable with, is the idea that there is all this excitement and interest in college football, but people are horrified with the idea of actually paying the people that are doing all the work.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Not to be semantic superiority guy, but it is an age floor, not an age limit.

Commercial pilots have an age limit. NBA players do not.

I learned Rule 7 from the master.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

BOOM ROASTED!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Age Limit superiority guy AND Rule 7 superiority guy.

Taco Del Mar abundance.
  • Options

Ho. Lee. Shit.

Well played sir.

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

So every player won't be straying in seattle all summer to workout?

well... If they do, it will be voluntary... and they'll have to rent Husky Stadium just like anybody else.