Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

USC's reasons for leaving the Conference of Champions aren't complicated

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,801
    not defending Larry Scott, I just wouldn’t. But I recall a time everyone praised him for having the largest media contract in college football. And aren’t we about to renegotiate the contract? Seems to me the new price is going to be low because the Pac 12 networks suck, sure, and no Direct TV, sure, but also the product on the field and lacking fan support too.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,670 Founders Club
    Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't understand why USC and UCLA couldn't have at least shown some loyalty by giving the other schools a head's up on what they were planning. I don't think public sentiment would have stopped them from leaving. Unless they were afraid of some congressman trying to make a name for themselves by passing some retarded bill to force them to stay.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,598 Founders Club
    UCLA needed the money. Their rival took pity on them.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,620 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022
    1. P12N the worst business idea in history of sport.
    2. Presidents (beavlet and demonlet) kept Scott for a decade.
    3. SC was mediocre except for 2 seasons. Stanford and Oregon the two best teams ngafa.
    4. SC/UCLA/UW/0 getting equal share if revenue with the little cuoglets if the poor.
    5. Covid decisions.

In that order of biggest factors.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,061 Founders Club
    haie said:

3. SC was mediocre except for 2 seasons. Stanford and Oregon the two best teams ngafa.
    4. SC/UCLA/UW/0 getting equal share if revenue with the little cuoglets if the poor.
    5. Covid decisions.

It’s not just that Stanford & Oregon we’re the best 2 teams, other than Oregon losing in the CFB playoff, neither team threatened to win it all and cause enough people to pay attention to the PAC.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,735 Swaye's Wigwam

Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't understand why USC and UCLA couldn't have at least shown some loyalty by giving the other schools a head's up on what they were planning. I don't think public sentiment would have stopped them from leaving. Unless they were afraid of some congressman trying to make a name for themselves by passing some retarded bill to force them to stay.

I would suspect you nailed it... too much risk there, especially the buffoonery running many of the other schools involved (cough Jen) so much money on the line couldn't trust they wouldn't find a way to fuck it up like they do just about everything else they touch.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited July 2022
    LawDawg1 said:

not defending Larry Scott, I just wouldn’t. But I recall a time everyone praised him for having the largest media contract in college football. And aren’t we about to renegotiate the contract? Seems to me the new price is going to be low because the Pac 12 networks suck, sure, and no Direct TV, sure, but also the product on the field and lacking fan support too.

We?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,022

haie said:

5. Covid decisions.

It’s not just that Stanford & Oregon we’re the best 2 teams, other than Oregon losing in the CFB playoff, neither team threatened to win it all and cause enough people to pay attention to the PAC.
    There have been some games of note for both Washington and Oregon, but you're right, it's been a while since the Pac has gotten over the hump.
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 829 Founders Club
    If you want to know why something is happening in college football these days, just remember…

• HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,966
    TLDR but if they are blaming Scott for leaving they truly suck at life...USC's AD was a huge Larry Scott defender and rumor has it helped to keep him in place well after he should have been fired. Why does everything related to California just suck at life?