Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We are nowhere near the bottom yet...

HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
edited June 2022 in Tug Tavern
https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/crypto/visiting-the-worlds-biggest-nft-convention-amid-a-crypto-crash/
Once everyone's inside, Doodles' CEO announces Pharrell Williams as Doodles' new Chief Brand Ambassador, before treating the crowd to a surprise performance by The Chainsmokers. No expense was spared.

Just one hour earlier, I was in a hotel lobby chatting with an NFT trader. He'd gotten into nonfungible tokens a few months ago. He'd already lost about $100,000.
Take the most salient example, Yuga Labs, creator of Bored Ape Yacht Club. Yuga has raised hundreds of millions of dollars by selling Bored Ape NFTs, and it's using that cash to create a big-budget video game. The goal is to bring in players who've never uttered the words "nonfungible token." The plan is clear: If the Bored Ape Yacht Club brand converts enough new hearts and minds, the value of the NFTs that inspired it will skyrocket in response. (people fell for this shite???)

Interesting and pretty comical read...to me it sounds like all the Beto furries of the world are trying to monetize their kink but maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure @HHusky is buying NFTs along with stocks today on yet another "dip"...

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Still think crypto is the longest running pump and dump in history.

Can’t decide whether a three letter agency is behind it.

The blockchain technology is cool and has useful application but the fact that just anyone can gin up a currency makes no sense to me.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,974
    Founders Club

The blockchain technology is cool and has useful application but the fact that just anyone can gin up a currency makes no sense to me.

You are correct but don't conflate cryptos with Bitcoin
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,909
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Can you elaborate on that?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

I have in other threads and I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,909
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

Bob_C said:

Not joking, more high level curious. I have roughly the same opinion as Throbber on this stuff I think. Trying to understand why BTC or any cryptos are more than just pure speculation. All other investments are too to obviously to some extent, but there is at least a cash flow and/or intangibles sitting behind there.
  • Options
    Bitcoin is just the tallest midget in the crypto pump and dump.

Until I can hustle down to Albertsons and buy some pepperoni sticks with it, BTC is tulip futures.

I fucking love block chain technology. Would literally change so many industries - title insurance would become obsolete with a perfect chain of title on a piece of real estate. I’ve seen it used in real estate deals to track investors who subsequently sell their stake. Shares of stock via block chain would put a hurt on brokers and the corrupt maze of intermediaries with DTCC

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Until I can hustle down to Albertsons and buy some pepperoni sticks with it, BTC is tulip futures.

I fucking love block chain technology. Would literally change so many industries - title insurance would become obsolete with a perfect chain of title on a piece of real estate. I’ve seen it used in real estate deals to track investors who subsequently sell their stake. Shares of stock via block chain would put a hurt on brokers and the corrupt maze of intermediaries with DTCC

It could also be used for voting.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

RACIST!!!!!1!11
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,224
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

RoadTrip said:

RACIST!!!!!1!11
    My bad. I forgot the imagry of chains is hurtful. Please turn me in and lower my social credit score.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,896
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Pretty good article on the current market environment.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/2022-market-disaster-more-pain-come

Don’t Be (or buy) a Dip
    As indicated above, trying to combat inflation with rate hikes is not only a joke, it creates a market disaster when a nation’s debt to GDP is at 120%.

To fight inflation, rates need be at a “neutral level,” (i.e., above inflation), and folks, that would mean 9% rates at the current 8%+ CPI level.

That ain't gonna happen…

At $30T+ of government debt and rising, the Fed can NEVER use rising rates to fight inflation. End of story. The days of Volcker rate hikes (when public debt was $900B not $30T) are gone.

But the fickle Fed can raise rates high enough to kill a securities bubble and create “asset-bubble deflation,” which is precisely what we are seeing in real time, and this market disaster is only going to get worse.

In short, if you are buying this “dip,” you may want to think again.

As June trade tapes remind, the Dow dipped below 30000, and the S&P 500 reported an ominous 3666, already losing more than 20% despite remaining grossly over-valued as it slides officially into bear territory.
  • Options
    RoadTrip said:

Well, now that's just crazy white supremacy talk.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Dazzler is still buying though! Bought more today!
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

Bob_C said:

Not joking, more high level curious. I have roughly the same opinion as Throbber on this stuff I think. Trying to understand why BTC or any cryptos are more than just pure speculation. All other investments are too to obviously to some extent, but there is at least a cash flow and/or intangibles sitting behind there.
    Cryptos are classified as securities, and as of yet are unregulated by the SEC. They are managed by people who can manipulate them and influence outcomes. They can be leveraged by 10x, 20x, 100x and then when they get caught with their pants down, like so many are now, they end up insolvent.

Bitcoin is classified by the IRS as property. It is a commodity. It has no central group or person managing it and determining outcomes, like increasing the number of coins and distributing to friends, etc. It is digitally engineered and designed to forever have a limited number of coins available. With hundreds of thousands of nodes (computers) around the world working to defend it 24/7, there have been countless attempts to hack BTC but it has never been successful. At the heart of so many human miseries has been broken currencies manipulated by greedy humans. But Bitcoin can't be manipulated and greedy humans can't compromise it even if they wanted to.

The Bitcoin NETWORK will also be very useful in the coming years as the foundation for innovations like the Lightning Network.

it is becoming increasingly clear that the US Treasury views Bitcoin as a threat. Many people hope that BTC becomes the official currency of the USA when the dollar finally goes to zero in 10-25 years. But it is my hope that BTC remains classified as property and that the US dollar gets pegged to it so BTC becomes the backing to the US dollar as gold used to be before Nixon took us off the gold standard in 1971. Yes, the spending power of the US dollar will get weaker and weaker, but the day could come where I swipe my card to purchase something and I'll have a LOC tied to my Bitcoin that will use the Lightning network to move that money from my LOC to US dollars and then sent to the merchant from whom I bought. It will be done at the speed of light and with instant finalization, unlike our current credit card systems that need a day or more to finalize the transaction.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Especially when you don't know from one day to the next if you can buy .95 cents worth of pepperoni or $1.05 depending on booger eating millenials pushing it around after hours and weekends.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I want crypto to crash and burn because I pretty much missed the boat on it and didn't pay attention and know nothing about it.

Only people I ever met who were into it were the crypto bro dbags