Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

People forget...

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
That Harry Reid was responsible for eliminating the 2/3rd senate majority for confirmation of federal judges. That means the last 3 justices would of required 10 Dems to go along with the nominees to be confirmed. People forget that.

Comments

• GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,301
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

That Harry Reid was responsible for eliminating the 2/3rd senate majority for confirmation of federal judges. That means the last 3 justices would of required 10 Dems to go along with the nominees to be confirmed. People forget that.

Yup, thanks harry
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Harry was warned. The actual amount of Senators to "approve" any nominee, judicial or other (like cabinet officers) was the 60 vote requirement to end the filibuster and bring the nominee to the floor for a vote. In 2013, Harry Reid by Senate vote invoked the "nuclear option" and eliminated the filibuster for all nominees, except the Supremes, and only a simple majority was now required for a confirmation.

In 2017, with control of the Senate, McConnell got the Senate to repeal the filibuster requirement for a Supreme Court nominee and went on to confirm Gorsuch.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,683
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People forget that Governor Reagan signed abortion into law 5 years before Roe

Roe gave both parties 50 years of fundraising and made us all intellectually lazy

I suspect a lot of the state "bans" I'm hearing about are restrictions not bans

Lipo
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Roe gave both parties 50 years of fundraising and made us all intellectually lazy

Lipo

After it all shakes out I suspect that many of these states with complete bans are going to reevaluate their positions. You're going to see more 12 and 15 week time periods.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    SFGbob said:

Lipo

After it all shakes out I suspect that many of these states with complete bans are going to reevaluate their positions. You're going to see more 12 and 15 week time periods.
    That's legit as it should be
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Lipo

This issue would have taken care of itself years ago if the Court would have never gotten involved with it.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,697
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Lipo

This issue would have taken care of itself years ago if the Court would have never gotten involved with it.
    The Euros took care of it and have a limited time period, usually three or four months.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Yep. It'll be an easy win to run on.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,301
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

Yup, thanks harry
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Lipo

Exactly