Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    There are networks of cattle ranchers that are preparing for tough times. They are/will be selling beef for Bitcoin when the shit hits the fan. I don't know if this is related or not, but the government wants to stop them.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811
    It's not the heat killing the cattle. Don't believe that for a second.

Ranchers probably killing them off for insurance. Or something nefarious by the gubmint/Bill Gates.

98 degrees doesn't cause that kind of loss. It's that fucking hot every day of July/August in Ellensburg.

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Ranchers probably killing them off for insurance. Or something nefarious by the gubmint/Bill Gates.

98 degrees doesn't cause that kind of loss. It's that fucking hot every day of July/August in Ellensburg.

I wonder if a lot of the fire in the food industry plants aren't insurance related...they look at operating cost (energy and labor), input costs, and such and realize they are going to be losing money...why not have an incident and cash out while you can.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,898
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

I wonder if a lot of the fire in the food industry plants aren't insurance related...they look at operating cost (energy and labor), input costs, and such and realize they are going to be losing money...why not have an incident and cash out while you can.
    There’s probably something to that. Kind of goes against the narrative of price gouging. If price gouging was happening everywhere there would never be a better time to be in business. @robertreichdawg
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The CEO of Exxon put the red hot poker to the Joey claim that O & G's are just price gouging and won't pump enough oil to refine. Well when you tell refineries that you're going to put them out of business like Joey did on the campaign trail they pivot or get out. He went on to say the he doesn't expect to ever see another new refinery built in the USA.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811

I'm not entirely conversant in the insurance policy game - but I have to think structural insurance policies are for replacement cost/has to be tied to rebuilding.

Cattle and crops are a different matter. The sodbusting wheat farmers in the 509 pay big bucks to insure they don't get fucked in the off-years. They also give up some upside on the banner crops. It's probably way easier to cash in on Ag commodities than on a building or plant and blame it on Act of God.