Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Just when we all wrote Netflix off

Peaky Fucking Blinders is back.

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Too much car stereo induced hearing damage in my youth to come close to understanding a word that's said in this show. Gave it a fair shot, but not into silent films.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Too much car stereo induced hearing damage in my youth to come close to understanding a word that's said in this show. Gave it a fair shot, but not into silent films.

I need the subtitles on. I liked it, but quit at some point in season 2. I haven’t felt the urge to jump back in.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Polly’s ded ? And she was married to Bobby Axlerod ? The fuck ?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

I don't think it's really a hearing problem anymore. For whatever reason, as time has gone on, they've decided to make movies and tv shows have larger audio ranges... AKA quiet as fuck in the quiet parts and then loud as shit in the loud parts.

I really don't understand why this is done, either. Almost everyone I know, including younger adults, even teenagers, use subtitles for that very reason. I don't like subtitles, so I'm constantly turning up and down the volume on my TV, based on the scene. The way I see it, if it were a problem with my hearing, then the loud scenes wouldn't be fucking deafening after turning it up to hear the quiet dialogue.

Hopefully producers decide to fix this at some point.

There's definitely something to this, also the music and FX being cranked up to 11 and the dialogue being regular volume. ATBSJBS, it's typical for hearing loss to first occur in the speech range. I have to do annual hearing tests, and I already qualify for hearing aids in my early 40s because of giant holes in my hearing range right where speech occurs. It's entirely possible to have my ears blasted by a loud movie but still have trouble hearing dialogue because of the way audio is mixed these days.

Pro tip: For years, I have had these Sennheiser RS 120 headphones (the RS 135 is the upgraded version, but they're compatible) plugged into the TV:

We got them a long time ago so we could watch TV without waking the kids. The base station plugs into the TV, and you can connect as many headsets to the base station as you want, so multiple people can watch at the same time without making noise. Our setup is the headphones plugged into the TV analog out and the sound bar to the optical out. Turn the sound bar off, and it's just headphones. Leave the sound bar on, and it's both. The headphones make it DRAMATICALLY easier to understand dialogue, so I wear them even when the sound bar is turned on when watching movies with the kids, who are always complaining that it's up too loud when I'm watching.

Peaky Blinders, though? Even the headphones don't get the jerb done.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think it's really a hearing problem anymore. For whatever reason, as time has gone on, they've decided to make movies and tv shows have larger audio ranges... AKA quiet as fuck in the quiet parts and then loud as shit in the loud parts.

I really don't understand why this is done, either. Almost everyone I know, including younger adults, even teenagers, use subtitles for that very reason. I don't like subtitles, so I'm constantly turning up and down the volume on my TV, based on the scene. The way I see it, if it were a problem with my hearing, then the loud scenes wouldn't be fucking deafening after turning it up to hear the quiet dialogue.

There's definitely something to this, also the music and FX being cranked up to 11 and the dialogue being regular volume. ATBSJBS, it's typical for hearing loss to first occur in the speech range. I have to do annual hearing tests, and I already qualify for hearing aids in my early 40s because of giant holes in my hearing range right where speech occurs. It's entirely possible to have my ears blasted by a loud movie but still have trouble hearing dialogue because of the way audio is mixed these days.

Pro tip: For years, I have had these Sennheiser RS 120 headphones (the RS 135 is the upgraded version, but they're compatible) plugged into the TV:

We got them a long time ago so we could watch TV without waking the kids. The base station plugs into the TV, and you can connect as many headsets to the base station as you want, so multiple people can watch at the same time without making noise. Our setup is the headphones plugged into the TV analog out and the sound bar to the optical out. Turn the sound bar off, and it's just headphones. Leave the sound bar on, and it's both. The headphones make it DRAMATICALLY easier to understand dialogue, so I wear them even when the sound bar is turned on when watching movies with the kids, who are always complaining that it's up too loud when I'm watching.

For a guy who has a very loud ass stereo and has fried my ears at a concert or two, my hearing remains remarkably sharp. We’ll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

For a guy who has a very loud ass stereo and has fried my ears at a concert or two, my hearing remains remarkably sharp. We’ll see how it goes.
    What nobody taught me--and I wish they had--is that hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. The tiny hairs in your ears that get damaged can't heal. My advice is to be careful with that loud ass stereo. It is already impossible for me to appreciate music like you do. Sounds like that would be a pretty big loss in your case.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,798
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Took one of those online hearing tests last week.

The Throbber has the ears of an 80 year old.

Can still decipher Peaky fucking Blinders dialogue though.

Tommy Shelby is going to fuck the gal from The Queens Gambit this season. Just wait.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

What nobody taught me--and I wish they had--is that hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. The tiny hairs in your ears that get damaged can't heal. My advice is to be careful with that loud ass stereo. It is already impossible for me to appreciate music like you do. Sounds like that would be a pretty big loss in your case.
    Fortunately I don’t turn the stereo up too loud. If I lose my hearing it’s over for Yella.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    yeah I cant understand a fuckin word
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

yeah I cant understand a fuckin word

That’s cause you’re a bad hombre, Messican
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,948
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022

I have some sort of hearing condition and the doctors don't know what it is. I struggle terribly in groups and with ambient noise around. My right ear is severely damaged. I'm still able to enjoy music with the left ear. I hope it never goes completely.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,948
    Founders Club

I need the subtitles on. I liked it, but quit at some point in season 2. I haven’t felt the urge to jump back in.
    I just watched a clip on YouTube to get a feel for the show. In the subtitled parts they were speaking in French, which surprised me.

Anyway, I need a new show to get into, so I'll give this one a go.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just watched a clip on YouTube to get a feel for the show. In the subtitled parts they were speaking in French, which surprised me.

The early seasons are quite good.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have some sort of hearing condition and the doctors don't know what it is. I struggle terribly in groups and with ambient noise around. My right ear is severely damaged. I'm still able to enjoy music with the left ear. I hope it never goes completely.
    I’m almost completely deaf in my left ear but have perfect hearing in my right. When there’s a lot of ambient noise I can’t make out what people are saying because their voice blends into the background noise. You lose the ability to triangulate and bring their voice to the front.
  • Options

The sex scene in season 1 or 2 with Annabelle Wallis is top notch

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Always about the sex scenes with you Throbber.
  • Options

Always about the sex scenes with you Throbber.
    And your point?