Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Recruiting Update

sonics1993sonics1993 Member Posts: 1,460
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
QB: They want to take two as they only have three on the roster and expect one of the QBs to leave after the season. They would prefer two high school recruits if they can manage it, but if they can't, then it will be one high school and one transfer. I expect them to land Gabarri Johnson as his other options (Utah and Arkansas) have either already taken a QB or are about to take one. Getting him should help a little with in-state recruiting.

RB: They already have one in Tybo, which is a solid pickup. They would like to take two backs, but the only RBs they have offered they are in contention for is Sergio Snider, who is going to be hard to get him out of Texas as I have heard he would like to say close, and Dijon Stanley who should schedule an official with Washington. I expect more offers for this position if they can't close Stanley in the summer.

WR: They got one WR commit in Keith Reynolds and would like to take 1-2 more. The three four-star they are in contention for is Jeremiah Mclure, Rashid Williams, and Malachi Riley. I expect Washington to get an official visit from all three, and I would say they are in serious contention for Mclure and Williams. Other WRs they are in contention for are Jacob Page and Taeshaun Lyons.

TE: They want one TE and might take a second depending on attrition from the position group. The only highly rated TE they are in contention for is Bowers, but the feeling is BYU leads for him. They were hoping to get him to visit for spring practice but couldn't get him on campus. They are trying to get him to schedule an official visit as that is the only chance they will have with him. Other TEs they are in contention with are Collins Acheampong and Spencer Shannon, and they are doing well with both of them.

OL: They want to take at least three and might take four depending on how many guys transfer out. Huff is struggling right now as the word is out that he can't develop. The two OL who are doing well and are rated highly are Hatchett and Micah. I would hope that he can close both of them. Tackle-wise, he's struggling, so you are seeing more offers going out. They were doing well with Elishah Jackett at one point, but they have fallen behind to some more prominent schools. There is still time to recover with him, so hopefully, they can catch back up. Zachary Henning, who has already taken an unofficial, is the only tackle they are in contention for, but Utah is right there for him as well.

DL: They want to take 2-3 DL. The issue is that Inoke is struggling, which is no surprise. He is known as an average recruiter at best, and it's showing. They are not in contention for any highly rated DL at all. The only DL's I would say they have a shot with is Amos Talalele, Gavin Geweniger, and maybe Martin Owusu, who they just offered. Expect more offers to go out.

Edge: They want one guy currently. They are doing well with Blake Purchase and will get an official from him in June. They are also doing well with Jaeden Moore, and there has been talk about scheduling an official visit for him in June. Those two are the main focus.

ILB: Want 2-3. They are doing well with Leviticus Su’a, who is believed to be favoring Stanford, Blake Nichelson though they have fallen behind and are struggling to get him on campus, Jordan Whitney, Victory Johnson, Deven Bryant, Michael Montgomery, and Jerry Mixon. I expect them to land Michael Montgomery soon because he doesn't have any other options. The other guy I expect them to land Jordan Whitney, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him locked down in the summer.

DB: Want 3-4. They are in contention for Jasiah Wagoner, and I expect them to get an official from him in June. They are doing well with Maliki Crawford and should get an official from him in the fall, Leroy Bryant, who just visited, and Christian Pierce, who the staff thinks they are close to closing.

Overall: Not doing well with too many highly rated recruits, and I expect this class to struggle to get inside the top 25. Right now, I would put the over/under at 3.5 for 4/5 star recruits landed in this class and expect a lot of low to mid-three-star recruits.

Comments

• Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    From what you've seen and heard thus far, how would you rank the coaches' recruiting abilities? Who needs to go ASAP?
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    What happened with Jayden Limar?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

From what you've seen and heard thus far, how would you rank the coaches' recruiting abilities? Who needs to go ASAP?

Have to let the cycle play out first but Inoke and Huff are really struggling which is why you are seeing more OL and DL offers going out lately.
  • Options

What happened with Jayden Limar?

Like the other in-state recruits, they were slow to make contact and even reoffer, while other schools with the new coaching staff (USC and Oregon) contacted in-state recruits right away. It was not a good look, and it got things off to a bad start with most in-state recruits including Limar.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,900
    Standard Supporter

Have to let the cycle play out first but Inoke and Huff are really struggling which is why you are seeing more OL and DL offers going out lately.
    You had mentioned awhile back that DeBoor tried to replace Huff but everybody turned him down. Are you able to tell us who was pursued?
  • Options
    HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 497
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Well FYFMFEFTFTFYA and TYFYS
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Do you still have 500k to fire the entire AD?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

QB: They want to take two as they only have three on the roster and expect one of the QBs to leave after the season. They would prefer two high school recruits if they can manage it, but if they can't, then it will be one high school and one transfer. I expect them to land Gabarri Johnson as his other options (Utah and Arkansas) have either already taken a QB or are about to take one. Getting him should help a little with in-state recruiting.

RB: They already have one in Tybo, which is a solid pickup. They would like to take two backs, but the only RBs they have offered they are in contention for is Sergio Snider, who is going to be hard to get him out of Texas as I have heard he would like to say close, and Dijon Stanley who should schedule an official with Washington. I expect more offers for this position if they can't close Stanley in the summer.

WR: They got one WR commit in Keith Reynolds and would like to take 1-2 more. The three four-star they are in contention for is Jeremiah Mclure, Rashid Williams, and Malachi Riley. I expect Washington to get an official visit from all three, and I would say they are in serious contention for Mclure and Williams. Other WRs they are in contention for are Jacob Page and Taeshaun Lyons.

TE: They want one TE and might take a second depending on attrition from the position group. The only highly rated TE they are in contention for is Bowers, but the feeling is BYU leads for him. They were hoping to get him to visit for spring practice but couldn't get him on campus. They are trying to get him to schedule an official visit as that is the only chance they will have with him. Other TEs they are in contention with are Collins Acheampong and Spencer Shannon, and they are doing well with both of them.

OL: They want to take at least three and might take four depending on how many guys transfer out. Huff is struggling right now as the word is out that he can't develop. The two OL who are doing well and are rated highly are Hatchett and Micah. I would hope that he can close both of them. Tackle-wise, he's struggling, so you are seeing more offers going out. They were doing well with Elishah Jackett at one point, but they have fallen behind to some more prominent schools. There is still time to recover with him, so hopefully, they can catch back up. Zachary Henning, who has already taken an unofficial, is the only tackle they are in contention for, but Utah is right there for him as well.

DL: They want to take 2-3 DL. The issue is that Inoke is struggling, which is no surprise. He is known as an average recruiter at best, and it's showing. They are not in contention for any highly rated DL at all. The only DL's I would say they have a shot with is Amos Talalele, Gavin Geweniger, and maybe Martin Owusu, who they just offered. Expect more offers to go out.

Edge: They want one guy currently. They are doing well with Blake Purchase and will get an official from him in June. They are also doing well with Jaeden Moore, and there has been talk about scheduling an official visit for him in June. Those two are the main focus.

ILB: Want 2-3. They are doing well with Leviticus Su’a, who is believed to be favoring Stanford, Blake Nichelson though they have fallen behind and are struggling to get him on campus, Jordan Whitney, Victory Johnson, Deven Bryant, Michael Montgomery, and Jerry Mixon. I expect them to land Michael Montgomery soon because he doesn't have any other options. The other guy I expect them to land Jordan Whitney, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him locked down in the summer.

DB: Want 3-4. They are in contention for Jasiah Wagoner, and I expect them to get an official from him in June. They are doing well with Maliki Crawford and should get an official from him in the fall, Leroy Bryant, who just visited, and Christian Pierce, who the staff thinks they are close to closing.

Overall: Not doing well with too many highly rated recruits, and I expect this class to struggle to get inside the top 25. Right now, I would put the over/under at 3.5 for 4/5 star recruits landed in this class and expect a lot of low to mid-three-star recruits.

GRIM
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2022
    Don't worry, Karen Ramming is cooking up something nice. Although, it's probably just a batch of double fudge brownies.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

This list seems consistent with the established strategy that is emerging

Can’t expect to land 4 and 5 stars if you aren’t going to play the NIL game for higher end recruits

I’m shocked that a G5 staff is struggling to recruit at the P5 level when they just thought they could show up with their resume and impress people

Huff being retained was a massive fuck up

Jimmy Lake had 3 coaches out of 10 who could recruit (and shockingly, you might want to sit down for this - recruiting classes 10000% reflected this)

The one I would have said could both recruit(ish) and develop (or at least given the benefit of the doubt to) and wanted to say in Malloe went to UCLA

Kalen decided to keep the two who could recuit(ish) but not develop

One bolted for Oregon and Huff is dead man walking on this staff and everyone knows it.

As Teq said, I am also beyond stunned Deboer kept him. I have absolutely no idea why.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    Swaye's Wigwam

You had mentioned awhile back that DeBoor tried to replace Huff but everybody turned him down. Are you able to tell us who was pursued?
    I can not believe he couldn't find someone to come here even if he had to overpay like he did for Shepherd.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Mission accomplished?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2022

Huff is probably a shitey coach, but he looked especially bad because our brilliant OC decided to call runs up the middle 75% of the time. Add to that our award-winning S&C coach checked out when Peterman retired and there was no chance any OL was going to be even average and any OL coach was going to look anything but god-awful. Biggest indictment against Huff is that he didn't flee like Pete Kwiatkowski did when he saw how big of a train-wreck Jimmy was going to be.

Grubb's supposed to be a decent to good OL coach...if he is and helps Huff and they call a halfway decent game the line will look amazingly better and Huff can get back to being an average OL coach and hopefully better recruiter.

This. I expect he's pretty average all else being equal.