Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

For NIL company Montlake Futures, the goal is to help Washington win without selling its soul

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,658 Founders Club
By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Montlake Futures is chasing more than just money.

Which, in itself, is noteworthy — considering the for-profit corporation was founded by UW donors and supporters in November explicitly to develop name, image and likeness deals for Husky athletes. That could encompass autograph sales, personal merchandising, endorsement deals, sponsored social media posts or ads, YouTube/Twitch streaming channels, training lessons/camps, speaking engagements and more.

But the greater goal, according to Montlake Futures executive director and general manager Emmy Armintrout, is to provide opportunities that extend beyond a lucrative bottom line.

“The new goal for us is really creating opportunities that create value for all the participants beyond just the monetary compensation,” Armintrout told The Times in a phone interview Tuesday. “So for the student-athlete, it’s the fact that the engagement is actually enjoyable and fun and authentic to them, or building a skill, making connections, whatever it is. However we can amplify that, that’s what we are working on.”

And though Montlake Futures — which is technically unaffiliated with the university — is less than four months old, Armintrout’s work extends even further. A Seattle native and Stanford graduate, Armintrout co-founded Rivall, a management and marketplace platform for adult sports that was sold in 2019. Then, while earning her MBA from UW’s Foster School of Business in 2020, she inquired about the athletic department’s embryonic name, image and likeness operation.

“Back in 2019, 2020, there were all these committees and the NCAA was proposing all these fairly complex rules around how NIL was going to look,” Armintrout recalled. “I reached out to the athletic department and just asked, ‘Hey, do you have anyone thinking about this?’ Because it was mid-pandemic, they just didn’t have the bandwidth.

“So they brought me on to do basically research and strategy work for them, which I did for a little under a year. Fast-forward, and when (UW donors) were putting Montlake Futures together, my name came up as someone who might be able to run it.”

To read the rest of the article...

https://seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/for-nil-company-montlake-futures-the-goal-is-to-help-washington-win-without-selling-its-soul/

Comments