Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is Paul Wulff our new recruiting coordinator?

Looks a lot like the classes signed by Mr. 4-32 during four-year run on the Idaho border.

Give KD credit for keeping the roster mostly intact (so far), but jeezus he and his hand-picked staff have a lot to learn about recruiting.

Didn't beat out any heavyweights for these portal transfers or HS seniors Eklund and Fetters told us were preferred walk-ons (until they weren't).

Gonna need more than Courtney Morgan's phone and text game game to get close to some kind of Top 25 class.

Anybody know how Jen and Karen's NIL:plans are progressing?

Comments

• CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Im hearing cinnamon buns are in the oven as we speak
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We will know how bad or good this class is in a few years. I’m not sure anything can compete with Sarks free pub class though. An epic stinker.
  • DawgtillDeathDawgtillDeath Member Posts: 147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I'm putting 90% of the blame for this class on that lazyass lake. He did shit... The first time a number of these local recruits were contacted by udub was boner and his crew. He needs to put an exciting competitive team on the field and we'll see what his recruiting chops are with next years class.
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Best story of Paul Wulffffffff’s recruiting was when he went to do an in home with a kid from somewhere in the south and he took a shit after dinner and the kid told Cougfan “when another man takes a dump in your house he becomes family.” Paraphrased likely but the gist is accurate

He was visiting Spencer Waseem in Florida. His mom made gumbo and Wulff ate so much of it he had to take a dump. It ended up that the bathroom door was near the kitchen and he apparently blew it up pretty good. Weird way to earn respect but that 2 star committed the next day.
    I have personal history with Paul Wulff and always loved that story
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Wishful thinking.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,061
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Best story of Paul Wulffffffff’s recruiting was when he went to do an in home with a kid from somewhere in the south and he took a shit after dinner and the kid told Cougfan “when another man takes a dump in your house he becomes family.” Paraphrased likely but the gist is accurate

He was visiting Spencer Waseem in Florida. His mom made gumbo and Wulff ate so much of it he had to take a dump. It ended up that the bathroom door was near the kitchen and he apparently blew it up pretty good. Weird way to earn respect but that 2 star committed the next day.
    Why didn’t we make him our OL coach? Those Twitter flex dump pics would >>> the green egg.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm putting 90% of the blame for this class on that lazyass lake. He did shit... The first time a number of these local recruits were contacted by udub was boner and his crew. He needs to put an exciting competitive team on the field and we'll see what his recruiting chops are with next years class.

I know were on like the 12th class that's a mulligan for a Husky staff in the past 18 years but I guess let this one play out.
    The twins are probably better than any other DL on the roster other than Voi. Dating back to the 2001 class with Rick, highly touted classes have never worked out at UW. Give me a glory days K State type of teamwork with a couple actually productive 4 and 5 stars. Give me the good Boise State teams with Budda, John Ross, and Vea added in. Those would be good teams.

It makes me irrationally mad to see how shitty our “blue chips” are. Go look at the thread on the main bored of the roster breakdown by class. Every upperclassmen blue chip on defense fucking sucks. They aren’t just bad, they don’t belong playing PAC 12 football.
    I'm ready to go fully "we only want guys who want to be Dawgs" doog for a while after this abysmal run of "four stars" at UW. After the top 20-30 recruits it really feels like it's a crapshoot after which is why unless you're Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma who can stack those mostly sure thing guys over Classes and fill the gaps with four stars that work out, you might as well just focus on guys that work for you. That, and get the best guys you can in-state.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Looks a lot like the classes signed by Mr. 4-32 during four-year run on the Idaho border.

Give KD credit for keeping the roster mostly intact (so far), but jeezus he and his hand-picked staff have a lot to learn about recruiting.

Didn't beat out any heavyweights for these portal transfers or HS seniors Eklund and Fetters told us were preferred walk-ons (until they weren't).

Gonna need more than Courtney Morgan's phone and text game game to get close to some kind of Top 25 class.

Anybody know how Jen and Karen's NIL:plans are progressing?

Yes! This!

Thank God He was able to keep the core of a 4-8 team moving forward.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,398
    Swaye's Wigwam

I know were on like the 12th class that's a mulligan for a Husky staff in the past 18 years but I guess let this one play out.
    The twins are probably better than any other DL on the roster other than Voi. Dating back to the 2001 class with Rick, highly touted classes have never worked out at UW. Give me a glory days K State type of teamwork with a couple actually productive 4 and 5 stars. Give me the good Boise State teams with Budda, John Ross, and Vea added in. Those would be good teams.

It makes me irrationally mad to see how shitty our “blue chips” are. Go look at the thread on the main bored of the roster breakdown by class. Every upperclassmen blue chip on defense fucking sucks. They aren’t just bad, they don’t belong playing PAC 12 football.
    I'm ready to go fully "we only want guys who want to be Dawgs" doog for a while after this abysmal run of "four stars" at UW. After the top 20-30 recruits it really feels like it's a crapshoot after which is why unless you're Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma who can stack those mostly sure thing guys over Classes and fill the gaps with four stars that work out, you might as well just focus on guys that work for you. That, and get the best guys you can in-state.
    I’m not dumb enough to say we don’t want 4 star guys. Missing out on JT and Egbuka was bad. We really need those type of guys to hell us get where we want.

Evaluate and pick better players. There are plenty out there. I like the idea of Morgan being basically a gm and being the evaluation guy. More colleges should do that. Pay a guy good money that is a great scout and can evaluate. Evaluate better. I keep hearing that it’s impossible but it’s not at all. Lots of schools have evaluated and developed at a higher level than most.

You are spot on about the “stars matter” bullshit. When Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, etc offer kids any shmuck can stamp a 4 or 5 star rating on them. There are seemingly 3,000 3 star players. Of course the percentages of four and five star players going to the NFL will be greater.

Those schools have no reason to look far and wide for prospects because they don’t have to. We do. Steal the best fucking guys from schools “shittier” (but recently better) than us. Of course we will still have some busts, but the amount we have right now onto the highly ranked guys is fucking insane.
    I'm not saying I don't want four star guys. I think UW should sign just about any four star guy in-state that they can even if they are questionable like guys like Iuli and Agbo to me. JT and Emeka were high-five star guys - totally different.

I just think you have to be more selective with which four stars you are taking and not just take guys who are four star guys because. I have no idea if this is something UW has ever done.

One of the reasons Oregon has had success is that they are able to sign a legit five star every other year or so because of the Nike clout/bags who they can build around with try hard three star guys - Ngata, Stewart, De'Anthony, Armstead, Thibodeaux, Sewell. Unless Washington can somehow start closing all the legit five stars from in-state (and they haven't signed a legit in-state 5 star since Reggie Williams sadly), there's no way that happens. Getting someone like Shaq Thompson took like four big breaks to happen and even then I'm still shocked it did.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,061
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

The TSIO guys would just say that all of our busts simply mean we need to recruit more highly touted guys to cover the busts. They would never simply admit that there were plenty of signs that Sirmon and Smalls were tremendously overrated. Questioning either was met with a smug attitude about their traits and why they were special.

I always thought they judged coaches based on closing or not closing their first offers, not necessarily whether kids were “highly touted.”