Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Courtney Morgan (future Doog Legend candidate) finally coming to terms with UW recruiting

Recent posts highlighting the "stars don't matter", "emptmann was a 2-star" and "we want guys we can develop" mentality is a little ominous

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,099
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I am on board with the mindset that it's what you do that matters, not the number of stars you come in with.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,817
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The irony is most of those guys were on shitty college teams
  • Options
    MotrboatnsobMotrboatnsob Member Posts: 424
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Basically preparing everyone for more 3 star development.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 757
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    He’s right. Let’s just recruit guys that will be NFL stars.
  • Options
    DougDoug Member Posts: 40
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

It’s all so simple? Nevermind The 100 3stars that did nothing for each of those guys. I’m sure he knows how to only get the 1% that pan out
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    look at the offers lmao. It's majority 4 and 5 stars.
  • Options
    Fear_BonerFear_Boner Member Posts: 757
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doug said:

It’s all so simple? Nevermind The 100 3stars that did nothing for each of those guys. I’m sure he knows how to only get the 1% that pan out
    Doug sees the light.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,646
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The whole you there's some 2 stars and shit that can be turned into NFL stars narrative is a dead Horse that's been picked away by vultures and is now a skeleton bleached in the sun. The majority of the guys in the NFL right now are a bunch of big time recruits who played at Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Georgia.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,922
    Standard Supporter

Mad_Son said:

I am on board with the mindset that it's what you do that matters, not the number of stars you come in with.

I was done with stars when after UW “leveled up” they won 8 and 4 games. The west coast is under evaluated. Find good players and plug them into a solid program that is built on development. Don Butler, Mason Foster, Kevin King, BBK, Azeem Victor, Greg Gaines, Jaylon Johnson. Find guys like this and go to war with them.
    We aren’t going to sign top 5-10 classes. It’s all about evaluating and developing. The coaches have to close the guys that they want. So far, our staff seems competent, organized, and gives effort on the trail.
    If we finish 15th every year in recruiting rankings but work really hard in development, that'd be fine with me
    I'd be fine with that too. Right now it looks like a major uphill battle to get there though. USC and Oregon are bringing in huge groups of top end talent this weekend and next for visits. UW is bringing in a small handful of "high upside" kids, some punters and kickers, and a few guys with PWO offers from other schools.
  • Options
    bluechipuwrecruitsbluechipuwrecruits Member Posts: 394
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Not getting visits from top end talent isn’t encouraging but it’s still early.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Mad_Son said:

I was done with stars when after UW “leveled up” they won 8 and 4 games. The west coast is under evaluated. Find good players and plug them into a solid program that is built on development. Don Butler, Mason Foster, Kevin King, BBK, Azeem Victor, Greg Gaines, Jaylon Johnson. Find guys like this and go to war with them.
    We aren’t going to sign top 5-10 classes. It’s all about evaluating and developing. The coaches have to close the guys that they want. So far, our staff seems competent, organized, and gives effort on the trail.
    If we finish 15th every year in recruiting rankings but work really harder than ever in development, that'd be fine with me
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

look at the offers lmao. It's majority 4 and 5 stars.

Yeah IDGAF about what they say, its about what they do. When Petersen was recruiting top 10 classes he was still saying he didn't care about stars.

90% of recruits aren't 4/5*s and probably want to hear that stars don't matter
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

The whole you there's some 2 stars and shit that can be turned into NFL stars narrative is a dead Horse that's been picked away by vultures and is now a skeleton bleached in the sun. The majority of the guys in the NFL right now are a bunch of big time recruits who played at Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and Georgia.

Some
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People jeep pointing at this collapse and the higher rated recruiting classes coinciding as though there is a cause and effect. There isn't. The 18-20 classes would be benefitting UW right now if they had been coached.

Coaches target the guys they want most first, and those are always going to be primarily 4* and 5* players at UW. Landing them doesn't drive the program off a cliff. Running it like UW does though.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,477
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Recent posts highlighting the "stars don't matter", "emptmann was a 2-star" and "we want guys we can develop" mentality is a little ominous

Stars are assigned when kids are 15 or 16, so there's plenty of time for kids to continue to grow, develop, learn, and appreciate the game as they get older.

To me, the most important thing is getting a full class every year and being able to trim the fat with kids that can portal to lower schools when they ride the bench. Getting as many opportunities to see who develops and who doesn't is probably the best way to build a team with depth.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,315
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Did any of those guys do anything significant in college (other than Burrow obviously). Axing seriously.

It’s cool they’re great NFL players. Morgan’s job is to find great college players.