Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Terrell Brown Jr Emerging As The Next Great UW MBB Guard?

ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
Terrell Brown Jr https://gohuskies.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/terrell-brown-jr-/13745 may be having a great individual season, so far, but the team results will decide if he can even be called one of the great UW MBB program guards. Even then only playing one season for the Huskies is a knock against that all time great measuring stick. I don't think he will even be top 10 all time with Brandon Roy, Eldridge Recasner, Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, Matisse Thybulle, CJ Wilcox, Jaylen Nowell, Andrew Andrews, Justin Dentmon, Will Conroy plus more multi-year UW guards listed ahead of him. Even one year wonder Tony Wroten Jr led the UW to a Pac-12 regular season conference title in his only season at Montlake. I don't foresee Terrell Brown Jr having that type of affect in his one season at Washington. Time will tell...

Seattle Times (click for full article) https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/terrell-brown-jr-is-emerging-as-the-next-great-uw-mens-basketball-guard-and-former-stars-are-taking-notice/
The Husky legends are watching and taking notice of Terrell Brown Jr., the latest applicant vying for membership into their hallowed hoops fraternity.

The 23-year-old Seattle native and fifth-year senior who starred at Garfield High is an amalgamation of many of the Washington men’s basketball greats who preceded him.

Brown, who is listed generously at 6-foot-3, uses guile, ingenuity and an assortment of herky-jerky moves, spins and quick bursts that keep opponents off balance, which is reminiscent of former Husky star Isaiah Thomas.

Washington’s newest sensation is adept at scoring inside and shoots an array of efficient midrange jumpers and high-arching floaters like Brandon Roy, whose retired No. 2 jersey hangs in Alaska Airlines Arena.

And coach Mike Hopkins has unofficially made Brown the Husky closer who takes over in the final minutes much like Jaylen Nowell, the 2019 Pac-12 Player of the Year.

“With Terrell, it’s all about mindset and hard work,” Hopkins said. “He’s so determined on being the best he can be and he’s willing to put in the work. That’s why he’s gone from where he started to being one of the elite guards not only in our league but in the country.”

Still, it’s far too early to draw anything more than cursory comparisons between Brown and Roy, Thomas or Nowell, all of whom led their respective teams to regular-season or conference-tournament titles.

Heck, Brown has yet to encroach into territory occupied by past UW standouts Dejounte Murray, Terrence Ross or Tony Wroten Jr.

However, after just 10 games, Brown, who leads the Pac-12 in scoring and ranks seventh nationally at 21.4 points per game, is emerging as the next great UW guard in a pantheon that includes Andrew Andrews, CJ Wilcox and Markelle Fultz.

“I can’t even think about stuff like that now or even try to compare myself with those guys,” Brown said at the start of the season. “Of course, growing up in Seattle, I know what IT and B-Roy and many of those guys did at U-Dub.

“I mean, you let yourself dream as a kid and maybe that dream might help you get to where you want to be. … But once you’re there, it’s about going out every day and letting your work speak for you.”

Brown, who starred for two years (2018-20) at Seattle University, where he averaged 17.2 points, tallied career-lows in points (7.3), assists (3.5), steals (0.9), minutes (25.7) and field goal percentage (39%) while starting 10 of 26 games for the Wildcats last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ0s3NCC-e0
Terrell Brown Jr vs Wyoming 30 PTS (11/18/21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbF3SIseIe4
Washington's Terrell Brown Jr Named Pac-12 Player Of The Week (Nov 29)