Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

BREAKING: BO NIX is GOING to SAVE OREGON FOOTBALL... How?

Comments

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You don’t get to wear 10 at Oregon Bo. You just don’t. 9.5 or 10.5.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    46XiJCAB said:

Justin Herbert's Oregon career was not that special
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2021
    dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

True, but as we have now seen, it definitely wasn't his fault. Herbert's been spectacular in the NFL since day one.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Save Oregon football? What does "save" mean? They have had a decent run recently. I hate clickbait YT titles. Propel or sink them might be the better terms.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Save Oregon football? What does "save" mean? They have had a decent run recently. I hate clickbait YT titles. Propel or sink them might be the better terms.

90% of college programs would give their left nut to have the success Oregon football has had the last 10 years. So I don't know what Bo is saving either.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bo is saving the Rich Brooks era
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    dnc said:

46XiJCAB said:

Special enough that some overrated scrub doesn’t get his number.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,491
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Serious non-trolling question. Has it ever been speculated that Herbert and his camp said he would come back for his senior session but only if he didn't have to run almost ever? Then in the Rose Bowl he was opened up because it was his last game and he needed to show something on that stage instead of barely throwing for 100 yards with an int?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Serious non-trolling question. Has it ever been speculated that Herbert and his camp said he would come back for his senior session but only if he didn't have to run almost ever? Then in the Rose Bowl he was opened up because it was his last game and he needed to show something on that stage instead of barely throwing for 100 yards with an int?

I posted about this in another "2019 was only special because they finally woke up and started running Herbert" thread. My recollection was that they didn't want to run him that often because of what happened at ASU when he broke his collarbone running.

They opened it up in the P12CG and used it to beat Utah and then again in the RB.

My impression was that it was purposeful. Whether it was stipulated or not I don't know, but it's certainly plausible.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

I posted about this in another "2019 was only special because they finally woke up and started running Herbert" thread. My recollection was that they didn't want to run him that often because of what happened at ASU when he broke his collarbone running.

They opened it up in the P12CG and used it to beat Utah and then again in the RB.

My impression was that it was purposeful. Whether it was stipulated or not I don't know, but it's certainly plausible.
    I think it was definitely to protect him all season. There was nothing behind him.
  • Options

JH broke his collarbone bone against Cal on a QB sneak for a TD.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Herbert is good for one or two big runs a game with the Chargers
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2021

Seriously doubt whether Herbert ever had a “camp” telling the coach how to use kid. I don’t recall any discussion of Herbert going out early.

Outstanding 3 sport athlete at Sheldon HS, Eugene, OR and a serious student. He lettered in football, basketball and baseball and competed in all three sports his senior year. He did not graduate early.

He was rated a 3* QB with offers from FCS schools (Portland State, Montana State, Nevada et al) coming out of high school.

He never did the football camp circuit or 7 on 7 competitions.

Herbert was recruited and signed by Helfrich as an afterthought. Don’t think he was the highest rated Oregon QB signed that year.

Ended up starting as a true frosh when the newest grad transfer bombed out, i.e., Dakota Prukop, Montana State.

Although on a terrible team, Herbert knew the playbook and it was noticeable he made good decisions, e.g., running out of bounds to avoid big hits, getting rid of the ball to avoid sacks, displayed a good arm and accuracy. Believe Helfrich was running a version of Chip Kelly’s spread option. Helfrich and many LONG-TIME assistants canned.

Year 2 - HC Willie Taggart with Cristobal and Arroyo as co-offensive coordinators running the Pistol. Got injured at ASU - broken collarbone and missed some games, including game at UW.

Years 3 and 4 - Head Coach Cristobal & OC Arroyo. Ran the fucking Pistol and it was obvious he was not being used as an option to run the ball until the Rose Bowl in 2019.

Kid was as close to a true student-athlete as they come in this day and age.

He graduated from UO with a 4.0 in General Science (Pre-Med the first couple of years).

His older brother played WR at Montana State and I believe is now a doctor.

Younger brother (bigger than Justin) is a TE on the Ducks. Younger brother was a freshman when Justin was a senior.

His grandfather was a Duck football player and Justin grew up going to Duck games.

The Herbert family and Wilcox families are close. Apparently, he was named Justin after Justin Wilcox.

He ended up with 95 TDs and 23 interceptions at Oregon.

Doubt his family or “camp” was calling any shots.

Herbert wasn’t totally hanging his hat on football at a young age. He had a lot of options. He has said he didn’t focus on football because he thought his upside in baseball was greater.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    BTW: Herbert was out for two months his sophomore year after getting injured vs. ASU on 09/23/2017.

https://goducks.com/sports/football/roster/justin-herbert/8471
  • Options
    The highest rated QB in Class of 2016 for Oregon was Terry Wilson, a dual threat QB out of Oklahoma City, OK. He enrolled early and played spring ball at Oregon while Herbert was playing baseball at Sheldon HS.

Wilson transferred to Kentucky and had some success there.

Wilson is currently listed on the New Mexico Lobos at QB.
  • Options
    Jdawg1991Jdawg1991 Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    trublue said:

The highest rated QB in Class of 2016 for Oregon was Terry Wilson, a dual threat QB out of Oklahoma City, OK. He enrolled early and played spring ball at Oregon while Herbert was playing baseball at Sheldon HS.

Wilson transferred to Kentucky and had some success there.

Wilson is currently listed on the New Mexico Lobos at QB.

Trolley, you hack. you should take the rest of the year to lurk around a bit and get a feel for the boards. If you have any questions feel free to shoot @IrishDawg22 a pm because he has this place dialed in.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB said:

JH broke his collarbone bone against Cal on a QB sneak for a TD.
    I stand corrected.
  • Options
    trublue said:

Seriously doubt whether Herbert ever had a “camp” telling the coach how to use kid. I don’t recall any discussion of Herbert going out early.

Outstanding 3 sport athlete at Sheldon HS, Eugene, OR and a serious student. He lettered in football, basketball and baseball and competed in all three sports his senior year. He did not graduate early.

He was rated a 3* QB with offers from FCS schools (Portland State, Montana State, Nevada et al) coming out of high school.

He never did the football camp circuit or 7 on 7 competitions.

Herbert was recruited and signed by Helfrich as an afterthought. Don’t think he was the highest rated Oregon QB signed that year.

Ended up starting as a true frosh when the newest grad transfer bombed out, i.e., Dakota Prukop, Montana State.

Although on a terrible team, Herbert knew the playbook and it was noticeable he made good decisions, e.g., running out of bounds to avoid big hits, getting rid of the ball to avoid sacks, displayed a good arm and accuracy. Believe Helfrich was running a version of Chip Kelly’s spread option. Helfrich and many LONG-TIME assistants canned.

Year 2 - HC Willie Taggart with Cristobal and Arroyo as co-offensive coordinators running the Pistol. Got injured at ASU - broken collarbone and missed some games, including game at UW.

Years 3 and 4 - Head Coach Cristobal & OC Arroyo. Ran the fucking Pistol and it was obvious he was not being used as an option to run the ball until the Rose Bowl in 2019.

Kid was as close to a true student-athlete as they come in this day and age.

He graduated from UO with a 4.0 in General Science (Pre-Med the first couple of years).

His older brother played WR at Montana State and I believe is now a doctor.

Younger brother (bigger than Justin) is a TE on the Ducks. Younger brother was a freshman when Justin was a senior.

His grandfather was a Duck football player and Justin grew up going to Duck games.

The Herbert family and Wilcox families are close. Apparently, he was named Justin after Justin Wilcox.

He ended up with 95 TDs and 23 interceptions at Oregon.

Doubt his family or “camp” was calling any shots.

Herbert wasn’t totally hanging his hat on football at a young age. He had a lot of options. He has said he didn’t focus on football because he thought his upside in baseball was greater.

One thing is for sure: it was obvious from the get go that he is a physical phenom. The pass in the Auburn game into the zone on a rope while he’s falling backward with a defender in his knees. Literally no step at all … all arm.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2021

Bo is saving the Rich Brooks era

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

AKA Mario is a fucking coward.