Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

1961 Impala SS 409

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,220 Founders Club

1961 Impala SS 409 in the waning days of the "two tone" paint job in an era where colorful cars reflected the culture. Compare to the dull "modern" vehicles in the background.

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,330 Founders Club
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,079
    $150k for a 283 car is insane.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,867 Swaye's Wigwam
    She’s real fine my 409.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,492 Swaye's Wigwam

1961 Impala SS 409 in the waning days of the "two tone" paint job in an era where colorful cars reflected the culture. Compare to the dull "modern" vehicles in the background.

What does this even mean?

Cars in the early sixties could be colorful or dull depending on what paint was used, just like today. Their design largely reflected the state of manufacturing technology at the time. They predate lighter/stronger unit-body construction, lighter/more durable plastic components, the necessary mounting locations for suspension that actually works...
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2021
    That's stunning. I hate Chevy and GM so that's hard to say.

I have to admit the Chev is prettier, but this one looks good in a convertible and the 409 couldn't hang with a 413 max wedge. Nothing could.

This is a 62 Dart, btw.

My first car was a 62 Lancer, somewhat similar in body style but with a slant six and push button automatic. My dad actually put a 318 with a 4 barrel and 4 speed manual transmission in it for me. Similar to this one but the lower body was black.
    chuck said:

I have to admit the Chev is prettier, but this one looks good in a convertible and the 409 couldn't hang with a 413 max wedge. Nothing could.

This is a 62 Dart, btw.

My first car was a 62 Lancer, somewhat similar in body style but with a slant six and push button automatic. My dad actually put a 318 with a 4 barrel and 4 speed manual transmission in it for me. Similar to this one but the lower body was black.

Everyone from my Great Grand Dad to my dad was a Chevy Dealer. GM is king of the 60s. Ford and Chrysler can fuck off.

I would not. touch a Chevy or Dodge with a 10ft pole right now.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,675 Founders Club
    edited December 2021

chuck said:

This is a 62 Dart, btw.

Everyone from my Great Grand Dad to my dad was a Chevy Dealer. GM is king of the 60s. Ford and Chrysler can fuck off.

Yep, that was true and then Delorean challenged the GM dominance and introduced the muscle car craze and changed the world

Suggested fabulous read “on a clear day you can see GM”
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,922 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

This is a 62 Dart, btw.

Nah me either.

I did just come back to this thread to see the car pictures again, especially that Dart. Man that's sweet.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,492 Swaye's Wigwam
    Said it before, say it again: Don't get the appeal. I guess I'm just not a person affected by nostalgia. Multiple times in my life, I've had a poster or a computer wallpaper or whatever of what I thought at the time was the most beautiful machine that would ever be built. Sometimes car, sometimes motorcycle, whatever.

There's not a single one I look at now and don't think, "Huh, that's kind of dated now."

Said it before, say it again: Don't get the appeal. I guess I'm just not a person affected by nostalgia. Multiple times in my life, I've had a poster or a computer wallpaper or whatever of what I thought at the time was the most beautiful machine that would ever be built. Sometimes car, sometimes motorcycle, whatever.

There's not a single one I look at now and don't think, "Huh, that's kind of dated now."

Things mini van drivers say.
    Other things mini van drivers say: "This is AWESOME!"

God they are so practical. Spacious. Great fuel economy. Good ride.

We just bought a 2022 Sequoia TRD Pro. It’s an ecological disaster.
    For what it's worth, my current most beautiful machine in existence has been holding steady for a few years now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NggiPwges

I parted ways with Honda in a "FUCK YOU, HONDA, I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER THING WITH YOUR FUCKING LOGO ON IT AGAIN*" way over what went down with our Odyssey. Was so pissed off that I made an "emotional decision" and traded it in at a huge loss on a Pacifica Hybrid.

Best. Decision. Ever. Gets infinity MPG around town, unless you stomp on it, then it pulls nearly 300 hp with a shitload of torque (and a surprisingly mean growl). When the battery runs out, still gets well over 30 mpg. That beats the Honda's lifetim score of 18. Seats fold down in two seconds flat: I've had 10' sticks of lumber, PVC pipe, conduit, unistrut, etc. in there, hundreds of pounds of concrete or mortar, multiple motorcycles, a week's worth of luggage plus the dog kennel. Whatever. Stuff it all in! And even with 300 pounds of concrete in the back and a pile of lumber running down the middle, it still handles better than the Impala in the OP...

I work at a very roughneck place, yet I know so many guys who either have minivans or their wives have shortdick syndrome and are blocking the purchase in spite of them wanting one badly. Someday, there's going to be historical case studies about how marketing convinced a whole generation of people to stigmatize and avoid the exact vehicle that met all of their needs. Congrats on making a rational choice.

*Can't part with the EU300is generator. It's just too fucking good.

Okay, now back to horseless carriages.

I parted ways with Honda in a "FUCK YOU, HONDA, I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER THING WITH YOUR FUCKING LOGO ON IT AGAIN*" way over what went down with our Odyssey. Was so pissed off that I made an "emotional decision" and traded it in at a huge loss on a Pacifica Hybrid.

Best. Decision. Ever. Gets infinity MPG around town, unless you stomp on it, then it pulls nearly 300 hp with a shitload of torque (and a surprisingly mean growl). When the battery runs out, still gets well over 30 mpg. That beats the Honda's lifetim score of 18. Seats fold down in two seconds flat: I've had 10' sticks of lumber, PVC pipe, conduit, unistrut, etc. in there, hundreds of pounds of concrete or mortar, multiple motorcycles, a week's worth of luggage plus the dog kennel. Whatever. Stuff it all in! And even with 300 pounds of concrete in the back and a pile of lumber running down the middle, it still handles better than the Impala in the OP...

I work at a very roughneck place, yet I know so many guys who either have minivans or their wives have shortdick syndrome and are blocking the purchase in spite of them wanting one badly. Someday, there's going to be historical case studies about how marketing convinced a whole generation of people to stigmatize and avoid the exact vehicle that met all of their needs. Congrats on making a rational choice.

*Can't part with the EU300is generator. It's just too fucking good.

Okay, now back to horseless carriages.
    Oh the Toyota Sequoia is not a rational choice, my fren. 12 mpg around town. 17 on the HWy if lucky. But the Toyota 5.7 L v-8 is a proven platform and we’ll have this beast for 20 years. Handles pretty nice for a full size SUV and the off road capability is solid for its class.

But yes an AWD Toyota Sienna would have been far more practical. Some people around here actually Jack them up a bit with bigger tires some how. Clearance can be an issue in the ski hill parking lot.

Alas Mrs Snow hates mini vans more than any shot dick syndrome man.
  • MobeyB4AssholesMobeyB4Assholes Member Posts: 907

Let me guess. You bought this new when you reitred.

What does this even mean?

Cars in the early sixties could be colorful or dull depending on what paint was used, just like today. Their design largely reflected the state of manufacturing technology at the time. They predate lighter/stronger unit-body construction, lighter/more durable plastic components, the necessary mounting locations for suspension that actually works...
    If you think a Honda Accord has as much style as that Impala I don't know what to say.

chuck said:

This is a 62 Dart, btw.

Chevy (GM) and Dodge make the coolest performance stuff right now, by far.