Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Slightly old news now but...

The men's BB team may be even more of a train wreck next year. NWG is considering entering the draft per CSNNW and confirmed by the Fat One's twitter (Softy not F3).

Just got a text from Nigel Williams-Goss: "Yes I'm definitely considering that possibility (entering draft) and exploring my options."

— Dave Softy Mahler (@Softykjr) April 9, 2014

Heres the original story saying NWG is considering leaving: http://t.co/GeN1AySGNx

— Dave Softy Mahler (@Softykjr) April 9, 2014

Our basketball program right now...

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hope he goes. If he gone, net season with be a disaster, and it might be bad enough to push Romar out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Be a big mistake for him to go. He showed promise but still has a long ways to go.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2014

Be a big mistake for him to go. He showed promise but still has a long ways to go.

I actually disagree. He was one of the best freshmen in the country. There are no more than 10 guys ready for the NBA. Scouts know what he can do from playing on the U-19 team. He played well for them too. He's as good as Ennis from Syracuse, but he played for shitty UW. Abandon the sinking ship and get paid. NWG can scratch out a career in the NBA.

• Options

I actually disagree. He was one of the best freshmen in the country. There are no more than 10 guys ready for the NBA. Scouts know what he can do from playing on the U-19 team. He

There was plenty of games he was a non factor. Gotta improve shooting.

Leave too early you are in danger becoming Tony Wroten who is currently a negative 1.8 wins share which is the worst in his draft class along with Austin Rivers.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The question NWG has to answer is whether or not he'll be better in the long run by receiving better coaching at the NBA level and not playing compared to what he was getting at the college level while playing 30+ minutes a night.

If the answer is the NBA, then if you're Scott Woodward, that tells you all you need to know.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I actually disagree. He was one of the best freshmen in the country. There are no more than 10 guys ready for the NBA. Scouts know what he can do from playing on the U-19 team. He

Leave too early you are in danger becoming Tony Wroten who is currently a negative 1.8 wins share which is the worst in his draft class along with Austin Rivers.
    That's a fair point, but NWG strikes me as different than those guys. Rivers could never do anything but score, and even then, he wasn't particularly efficient. He jacks up a lot of shots and doesn't get to the line very often. Wroten plays no defense and can't shoot, yet still jacks up 3-4 three's a game. The only reason Wroten can't play defense is because he is lazy. A guy with his size and quickness should at least be an above average defender.

NWG will work hard to get better and won't try and be a star like Wroten and Rivers do. He will play his role better than those guys, and that's half the battle in the NBA unless you are actually a star.
  • Options

That's a fair point, but NWG strikes me as different than those guys. Rivers could never do anything but score, and even then, he wasn't particularly efficient. He jacks up a lot of shots and doesn't get to the line very often. Wroten plays no defense and can't shoot, yet still jacks up 3-4 three's a game. The only reason Wroten can't play defense is because he is lazy. A guy with his size and quickness should at least be an above average defender.

NWG will work hard to get better and won't try and be a star like Wroten and Rivers do. He will play his role better than those guys, and that's half the battle in the NBA unless you are actually a star.
    Wroten is averaging 11.4 FGA attempts in only 24.7 minutes per game shooting 42.0%. He still sucks at FT's and awful at three's yet jacks up 2.7 a game. Also averages 2.8 turnovers a game.

He's the only player to have left UW early where I was actually upset. I knew he had a lot of work to do. It's not about that first NBA contract it's about the second. Wroten will be in the D-League here in a year or two.

Just hope NWG comes back a year if not two, get better at his game like Isaiah did since when he goes to the NBA he's read.

Isaiah was the last pick in his draft but is 3rd in his class in win shares behind only Kennieth Farried and Kawai Leonard. Even ahead of Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson.

*Edit saw he's actually slightly 4th behind another second round pick Chandler Parsons.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I agree that NWG isn't anywhere near ready. Without him though, Romar's changes of getting fired are a lot better. 17-14 might not get Romar fired. 10-20 will. UW might be the worst team in the Pac 12 without NWG, who will be a top 10 player next year.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I agree that NWG isn't anywhere near ready. Without him though, Romar's changes of getting fired are a lot better. 17-14 might not get Romar fired. 10-20 will. UW might be the worst team in the Pac 12 without NWG, who will be a top 10 player next year.

Top 10 in the conference, right?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Top 10 in the conference, right?
    Yes.

• Options
    SarkinghamSarkingham Member Posts: 285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2014
    More evidence of what an outstanding job Percy Allen does with the ST men's BB blog, we're now about 20 hours since this news came out on Twitter. Not a peep from Percy. Keeping up the great work as always.
  • Options

More evidence of what an outstanding job Percy Allen does with the ST men's BB blog, we're now about 20 hours since this news came out on Twitter. Not a peep from Percy. Keeping up the great work as always.

Even Adam Jude thinks he is lazy.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I actually disagree. He was one of the best freshmen in the country. There are no more than 10 guys ready for the NBA. Scouts know what he can do from playing on the U-19 team. He played well for them too. He's as good as Ennis from Syracuse, but he played for shitty UW. Abandon the sinking ship and get paid. NWG can scratch out a career in the NBA.

This. NWG is a stud. Clearly not NBA-ready yet, but doesn't stop tons of guys from jumping early.

Look at the shitshow that will surround him next year. In his shoes, I think I'd rather spend a couple years in the D-League than continue circling Romar's drain.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Sitting on the bench in the NBA will develop your game more than being a star that carries your team to the Final Four. Always.
  • Options

Sitting on the bench in the NBA will develop your game more than being a star that carries your team to the CBI Final Four. Always.

Fixed
  • Options
    chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    I'll admit I thought it was strange that no one was talking about NWG entering the draft. He was in contention for pac-12 freshmen of the year.

I think he stays tho. Unless, and big caveat, he really thinks the team is a dumpster fire. If he leaves that is... Scary.