Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Justin Wilcox turned down the Oregon Ducks

Comments

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,108
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2021

dtd said:

ntxduck said:

dtd said:

Phil Nike is a megalomaniac. Can't blame Wilcox for choosing not to go there.

Phil is 83 years old... plenty of time for Wilcox to go to Oregon after Phil is gone.

Yeah, I'm sure he would love to HC for his school. However, having to ultimately answer to a senile 80 year old man who sits in the coaches booth, wears a headset and pretends he's one of the coaches is a bridge too far for a guy like Wilcox.

Also, this has now been confirmed by 3 or 4 different sources. He really turned down the offer
    You don't really believe this shit do you?
    The original source is all the same—wilcox’s agent

You got turned down. Deal with it
    You? hired a guy who lost to Hawai'i.

Twice.

Deal with it.

Also, lol, holy fuck are you not an insider detty boy, if you believe that.
    I think I hurt someone's feelings.
    I already admitted I care. You also hired a guy who lost to Hawai'i.

Twice.

But let's pretend you have no feelings either, doog.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It just dawned on my why Wilcox said 'no' to Oregon.

It was to prove his faithfulness to Washington, which is his secret dream job.

He knows -- like any thinking person -- that Oregon's days are numbered. Once uncle Phil is gone nobody will be propping up their shitty cow town mushroom school in Eugene Oregon.

The future doesn't include Oregon after 83 year old Phil is gone, and Wilcox knows that Washington will be more likely to hire him in the future if he proves his loyalty to us by telling Oregon to fuck off. Which he did.

In conclusion, I was right.

Unfortunately, I suspect Uncle Phil will bequeef a large some of dough to the Oregon AD upon his exit from this world.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,952
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

What in the world...

“This feeling comes not from wins and losses, but rather, the idea that in the attempt to chase a national championship, we are losing what made us great in the first place,” the players wrote in the letter. “This is not a Blue Blood program. Our success was built on the continuity and hard work of the players and coaches in the 30 years prior to 2016 and we, as players, feel we are dangerously close to losing our identity.”

Something is up under the hood down there. Weird as they've seemingly had their shit together for years.
    I'm surprised Masoli didn't chime in.
    When Dino Philyaw speaks, people listen.

who?.gif
  • Options
    MobeyB4AssholesMobeyB4Assholes Member Posts: 878
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2021
    I don't get this. After Saban, Myers, Swinney, Carroll all begged for the Phuck job, only to be turned down, and since we know Crystalballs was horrible...

https://si.com/college/oregon/football/analyzing-the-timing-and-importance-of-oregons-search-for-a-head-coach

A deep dive into why the timing of Mario Cristobal's departure could be critically damaging to the Oregon football program
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    AEB said:

He knows -- like any thinking person -- that Oregon's days are numbered. Once uncle Phil is gone nobody will be propping up their shitty cow town mushroom school in Eugene Oregon.

The future doesn't include Oregon after 83 year old Phil is gone, and Wilcox knows that Washington will be more likely to hire him in the future if he proves his loyalty to us by telling Oregon to fuck off. Which he did.

Unfortunately, I suspect Uncle Phil will bequeef a large some of dough to the Oregon AD upon his exit from this world.
    Chinned for “bequeef”
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

What in the world...

“This feeling comes not from wins and losses, but rather, the idea that in the attempt to chase a national championship, we are losing what made us great in the first place,” the players wrote in the letter. “This is not a Blue Blood program. Our success was built on the continuity and hard work of the players and coaches in the 30 years prior to 2016 and we, as players, feel we are dangerously close to losing our identity.”

Something is up under the hood down there. Weird as they've seemingly had their shit together for years.
    Nothing is up. Joey has always been a complete dork since washing out in the nfl. He was saying similar shit right before we fired helf, about how it wasn’t fair to him and was a betrayal of our values and some other shit. He spearheaded this entire thing because he’s a loser

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

ntxduck said:

Gladstone said:

What in the world...

Nothing is up. Joey has always been a complete dork since washing out in the nfl. He was saying similar shit right before we fired helf, about how it wasn’t fair to him and was a betrayal of our values and some other shit. He spearheaded this entire thing because he’s a loser

The only thing less successful was his upscale sports bar in the Pearl that tanked after 1 1/2 years.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dtd said:

Phil is 83 years old... plenty of time for Wilcox to go to Oregon after Phil is gone.

Yeah, I'm sure he would love to HC for his school. However, having to ultimately answer to a senile 80 year old man who sits in the coaches booth, wears a headset and pretends he's one of the coaches is a bridge too far for a guy like Wilcox.

Also, this has now been confirmed by 3 or 4 different sources. He really turned down the offer
    If it leaves you butthurt and crying, yes.

Even if it isn't true.
  • Options
    MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dtd said:

dtd said:

ntxduck said:

dtd said:

The original source is all the same—wilcox’s agent

You got turned down. Deal with it
    You? hired a guy who lost to Hawai'i.

Twice.

Deal with it.

Also, lol, holy fuck are you not an insider detty boy, if you believe that.
    I think I hurt someone's feelings.
    I already admitted I care. You also hired a guy who lost to Hawai'i.

Twice.

But let's pretend you have no feelings either, doog.

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Gladstone said:

What in the world...

I'm surprised Masoli didn't chime in.
    When Dino Philyaw speaks, people listen.

who?.gif
    BBQ King of Eugene, that's who, fella!
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Wilcox was never offered hth
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Wilcox was never offered hth

Source?
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    even quook twitter is outplaying dtd right now, rather easily
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Imagine a world where Pulitzer Prize winning journalists are called liars by users named Duck69
  • Options
    HairyBallsDawgHairyBallsDawg Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2021
    AEB said:

I actually doubt it. Phil isn't propping up Oregon out of his love for the school or their sports. He is only doing it to the extent that Nike can get marketing benefits from being associated with brand name program. Phil treats Oregon like a division of Nike which is why he gets them new uniform designs for every game... Marketing. Phil knows he won't care about this stuff after he's dead. It would make about as much sense for him to leave money to Oregon as would for him to leave money to Nike.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

AEB said:

I actually doubt it. Phil isn't propping up Oregon out of his love for the school or their sports. He is only doing it to the extent that Nike can get marketing benefits from being associated with brand name program. Phil treats Oregon like a division of Nike which is why he gets them new uniform designs for every game... Marketing. Phil knows he won't care about this stuff after he's dead. It would make about as much sense for him to leave money to Oregon as would for him to leave money to Nike.
    This is 100% bullshit. It's almost a comical misunderstanding of the Nike-Oregon relationship.

For starters, Knight hasn't even been the Chairman of Nike for over five years now. Not sure how long it's been since he was last actually part of Nike management, but I'm guessing it's been even longer than that. But irregardless, Nike doesn't make any material amount of money from Oregon (they probably lose money TBH, but you're never going to find selected financial information that specific and immaterial in any of their filings).

To the extent that Nike actually does anything for Oregon that's outside of their normal course of business, it's always immaterial to the company itself and is only done as a favor to Knight. You really think a handful of uniform designs and a friendly apparel contract for a single school actually moves any needles for a company that does $40B in revenue? Phil has donated (I think) well over $1 billion in liftetime personal funds to Oregon, and is 100% propping them up out of his love for the school and sports program. To suggest that he's donated 10 figures of his wealth to Oregon in some futile attempt to increase his Nike holdings value is one of the goofiest and most ass backwards investment strategy ever uttered on a message board. It's actually too stupid for me to fully comprehend.

Now as for the question of will Uncle Phil continue to donate to Oregon after his death? I suppose you could go open a thread to discuss the specifics in the Bitcoin Beer Garden/Creep's casting couch/Baseman's billionaire boys club or whatever the fuck it's called now about the thousand different arrangements he's likely made that will allow his estate to continue donating to the school in perpetuity. But thinking (hoping) that the Oregon money trough will stop once he dies seems pretty damn naive.
    Oregon is going to continue to get Phil's money long after he's gone. This was set up awhile ago.