Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wilcox turned down Ducks

Comments

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

How can this be? I hear Crystalballs was a terrible coach, and after the Oregon rejected Saban's, Myer's, Swinney's begging to get the Duck job they selected the real best coach in the country.

https://si.com/college/oregon/football/analyzing-the-timing-and-importance-of-oregons-search-for-a-head-coach

16-4. Are we finished?
  • Options
    247 polled 30+ coaches across the country asking which assistants were ready for the next level.

Lanning #1.

He probably should have took a MWC job. Test out the training wheels first.

• Options
    After much thought and prayer with the family and a good night of deep sleep, I have informed AD Mullens that I would be passing on the Oregon job offer.

Said No One.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    46XiJCAB said:

247 polled 30+ coaches across the country asking which assistants were ready for the next level.

Lanning #1.

Relax, nobody thinks this is a bad hire. 95% of this board would have rather seen Wilcox be Oregon's coach next year hands down.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

46XiJCAB said:

Lanning #1.

Relax, nobody thinks this is a bad hire. 95% of this board would have rather seen Wilcox be Oregon's coach next year hands down.
    UW fans would've been happier if Oregon had tied itself to a known anchor rather than a likely one. Thsts for sure. Lanning makes me a little nervous, but also raises the possibility of a bigger collapse. Either way he's more interesting and that's also why I favored Wilcox.
  • Options
    MobeyB4AssholesMobeyB4Assholes Member Posts: 878
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

46XiJCAB said:

Lanning #1.

True - but it was only due to you getting cuk blocked by Tongue Wilcox and probably Toad Kelly.
  • Options

46XiJCAB said:

Lanning #1.

True - but it was only due to you getting cuk blocked by Tongue Wilcox and probably Toad Kelly.
    Cool story bro. Sources?
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,339
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Chip was never offered and Wilcox wad only offered with conditions it was known would be turned down as he doesn't put in the effort that is required to be a top guy.
  • Options
    Also the lane train blew up before leaving the station as Phil didn't want him and you have to trust a billionaire on that one.but lane did want the job.
  • Options
    Goduckies said:

Also the lane train blew up before leaving the station as Phil didn't want him and you have to trust a billionaire on that one.but lane did want the job.

That’s a mistake. Going to kick themselves over that.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2021

Goduckies said:

I was full on Kiffen but that’s a guy that could leave in the middle of the night. I can understand not wanting to go there when you have to make the real life decision.

Still holding my breath on Lanning. I think it’s a very dangerous hire.

It’s great he’s a people person and everyone wants to run through a brick wall for him on a Tuesday afternoon… But this guy has never had to call a timeout at the right time let alone have 5 voices coming through his headset all at once on 2nd and 8 from his own 16, down 10 points in the third.

I think it’s far more likely this isn’t going to work out, than it is.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Goduckies said:

I was full on Kiffen but that’s a guy that could leave in the middle of the night. I can understand not wanting to go there when you have to make the real life decision.

It’s great he’s a people person and everyone wants to run through a brick wall for him on a Tuesday afternoon… But this guy has never had to call a timeout at the right time let alone have 5 voices coming through his headset all at once on 2nd and 8 from his own 16, down 10 points in the third.

So, you were team Wilcox?

I'd rather shoot for potential and crash and burn, than hire what a know, which is mediocre.
  • Options
    MobeyB4AssholesMobeyB4Assholes Member Posts: 878
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Goduckies said:

Chip was never offered and Wilcox wad only offered with conditions it was known would be turned down as he doesn't put in the effort that is required to be a top guy.

Cool story bro. Sources?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Goduckies said:

I'd rather shoot for potential and crash and burn, than hire what a know, which is mediocre.
    Literally said team Kiffen in the post.

Didn’t realize Wilcox and Lanning were our only options.
  • Options

Goduckies said:

Literally said team Kiffen in the post.

Didn’t realize Wilcox and Lanning were our only options.
    Apparently Kiffin was an option. But Oregon can’t handle the heat.
  • Options

Goduckies said:

I felt the same way after CK’s first game at Boise. There are successful OC’s to HC examples across CFB. By year 3 the verdict will be in.

He’s hired a couple highly regarded young coordinators. They can also recruit. Especially OC Dillingham. Seven announced he was going to portal. One meeting with DL and DJ and he reversed course.

I’m guessing he was told of Dillingham coming aboard. Seven is an electric player. I’m guessing they’re not going to waste his talents.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB said:

Goduckies said:

I felt the same way after CK’s first game at Boise. There are successful OC’s to HC examples across CFB. By year 3 the verdict will be in.

He’s hired a couple highly regarded young coordinators. They can also recruit. Especially OC Dillingham. Seven announced he was going to portal. One meeting with DL and DJ and he reversed course.

I’m guessing he was told of Dillingham coming aboard. Seven is an electric player. I’m guessing they’re not going to waste his talents.
    It shouldn’t take 3 years with this roster. 3 years is when a guy comes it to fix a program. We knew CK was good after about 6-7 games.

We’ll know by mid season or we’ll blame the quarterback.

• Options
    By year three clarification. Before not during or after. He gets two years to mold his roster. He will win with what’s there. I’m expecting a serious playoff contender after two. I’m trying to be realistic here.

We will see how “talented” this roster really is over the next two years. Either it was vastly overrated or MC and staff were that bad.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    46XiJCAB said:

By year three clarification. Before not during or after. He gets two years to mold his roster. He will win with what’s there. I’m expecting a serious playoff contender after two. I’m trying to be realistic here.

We will see how “talented” this roster really is over the next two years. Either it was vastly overrated or MC and staff were that bad.

I suppose that’s your opinion. I will known in year one as I always do and let you all know as I always do.
  • Options

Goduckies said:

Cool story bro. Sources?
    Yes this is sourced