Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Venables?

Seriously? Not to say he won't/can't be good but I figured Oklahoma would have swung harder.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,467 Founders Club
    Great assistant who has always been an assistant and is great at it. Perfect with Dabo at Clemson

I wonder why he thinks he can be the head guy now when he never was before. It's a big step

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

Great assistant who has always been an assistant and is great at it. Perfect with Dabo at Clemson

I wonder why he thinks he can be the head guy now when he never was before. It's a big step

Oklahoma is going for that old Bob Stoops "hire an elite DC win a natty" approach I suppose.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,090 Swaye's Wigwam
    UW went limp dick hire though.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter

Oklahoma is going for that old Bob Stoops "hire an elite DC win a natty" approach I suppose.
    We only get the downtrodden coordinators at uw.
  • ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83BuiqeQcys
    KOTV 6 News: Full Intro Presser. OU Welcomes Brent Venables As New Head Coach Of Sooner Football. The University of Oklahoma is holding a press conference to officially introduce Brent Venables as the new leader of Sooner football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doIUMYwmLEw
    News 9: News 9 was at Max Westheimer Airfield Sunday night as new Oklahoma Sooners football coach Brent Venables' plane touched down. Venables is returning to Oklahoma after almost a decade in Clemson.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I think this is a good hire.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,942

You just never know. It was when OU took Stoops away from his DC job at Florida. More often than not, it doesn't work out.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

You just never know. It was when OU took Stoops away from his DC job at Florida. More often than not, it doesn't work out.
    Big difference is Stoops was 39 when he took the OU job. Venables turns 51 next week. He's not too old to succeed but other than Bruce Arians how many coaches had to wait longer to become HCs and were any good? Doesn't seem like many.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,942
    dnc said:

Big difference is Stoops was 39 when he took the OU job. Venables turns 51 next week. He's not too old to succeed but other than Bruce Arians how many coaches had to wait longer to become HCs and were any good? Doesn't seem like many.
    True. I wonder what kind of recruiting chops he has? I assume Dabo was the lead recruiter at Clemson.

dnc said:

True. I wonder what kind of recruiting chops he has? I assume Dabo was the lead recruiter at Clemson.
    Oklahoma can afford to staff recruiters and he should have enough contacts from his days at OU and Clemson to pull in some talented people.

Big question is can he lead an organization? As Race said, it's a big step.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

51 is the new 29

Or, in the case of @RaceBannon, 5100 is the new 2900.

• dtddtd Member Posts: 4,486 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2021
    dnc said:

Sure but Venables could have had any number of big time HC jobs the last few years. Dude was hot shit at OU, and didn't Clempson make him the first million/yr coordinator in the nation, back when that was absolutely batshit insane money? /shrug
    dtd said:

dnc said:

Sure but Venables could have had any number of big time HC jobs the last few years. Dude was hot shit at OU, and didn't Clempson make him the first million/yr coordinator in the nation, back when that was absolutely batshit insane money? /shrug
    All true.

Will be interesting to see how he does. The fact he looks like death chincarnate adds to the chintrigue.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,486 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

dtd said:

dnc said:

All true.

Will be interesting to see how he does. The fact he looks like death chincarnate adds to the chintrigue.
    I had it out with one of my dads one time and told him he always looks angry and he said "I KNOW" and like teared up a little.

But yeah, Brent has strangled someone to death before.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,151
    dnc said:

Calling my shot. This is their Mike Hopkins hire.

dnc said:

Calling my shot. This is their Mike Hopkins hire.
    At 10x the pay rate

So should have gone into coaching for this insane money grab. These fucking idiots would get sent to the basement in the corporate world.

Don’t even get me started on saggy titted ADs who couldn’t manage a P&L if her bra strap depended on it.

• DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    I'm waiting for the first 10yr contract where the school wants out after 2 and they're fucked so the market starts correcting to the norm.

I'm waiting for the first 10yr contract where the school wants out after 2 and they're fucked so the market starts correcting to the norm.

The norm should be about $300k or GTFO. There are, quite literally, tens of thousands of qualified managers with football experience.