Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How many coaches have left Washington for better jobs? How many have left Oregon

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    With the way it works now, you almost hope that there is a good amount of turnover.

"Stability on the coaching staff" has become the most overrated piece. Miami won NCs with 4 different coaches. I'm don't fall in love with coaches unless a Nick Saban comes along, then all bets are off.

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,104
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

With the way it works now, you almost hope that there is a good amount of turnover.

"Stability on the coaching staff" has become the most overrated piece. Miami won NCs with 4 different coaches. I'm don't fall in love with coaches unless a Nick Saban comes along, then all bets are off.

The continuity narrative is what got UW Owen and Oregon Mark Helfrich. It's only good if it's good.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

ntxduck said:

This is some pretty serious coping

Not really. FSU and Miami poaching your coaches in less than a five year span is a serious black eye for Oregon. And despite his in-game coaching flaws, Mario was 3-0 against us and whooped our asses on the recruiting trail. So him getting poached is a fucking delight on both levels.
    Taggart was for sure. A guy bouncing after one year with no connections to the school (fsu). Mario was always leaving Oregon for Miami. He’d have left Usc or Texas for Miami. This was known when he was hired. Hope he can make it work at Miami.
  • Options

As long as Husky fans understand that Kellen Deboner has no long lost love for Washington and if he starts out three and 0 next year UW will need to tear up the bargain contract and pay him 100 million for the final 9 games plus the post season

Its always about the money. Even Bama had to give Nick the ultimate escalation clause because Texas was SERIOUS about taking him

Are you trying to tell me that these guys don't really, really like us? ?
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Sark and Royal are the obvious ones, although Sark was very close to being fired and was going to be had he lost the 2013 AC. As always, Saint Haden did indeed work miracles.

James and Pete both got burned out and quit football instead of hopping. I'm not sure if that reflects better on UW honestly lol

There are few things that annoy me more than the fact that he slithered out of here like a victorious Roman general and that 99% of the country saw it that way. When I was at the RR Shootout this year, Sark came up and a much of Sooners (with whom I was at that game) said, "Hey, Creep, you? guys had Sark, what do you think." When I got to the part of "he was door ass out just before Pat Haden FS threw our? hail mary for us?" they all chuckled and clearly thought it was sour grapes.

It's just about the best escape job I've ever seen. Even now ... I know 3 or 4 of his former players, and they are loyal to him beyond belief. You'd be surprised how many Huskies from that era credit him for bringing Washington back damnit!
  • Options
    MotownMotown Member Posts: 145
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    So are we making an argument for why oregon is the better job? You are telling me you can be a mediocre coach and get paid because of the Oregon brand and the leverage that job to get your actual dream job and get paid again ?
    Vs washington is so prestigious that it very may be the very last place you coach because the job is too stressful (Peterman), or the athletic department is so incompetent that guys like ty willingham and Jimmy lake were hired and were proven so bad they will never head coach ever again!

Washington should be a desired destination job. But your hires might very well stay content that they've made it and stop you know , actually doing the job that got them there ..like recruiting.
  • Options
    Motown said:

So are we making an argument for why oregon is the better job? You are telling me you can be a mediocre coach and get paid because of the Oregon brand and the leverage that job to get your actual dream job and get paid again ?
    Vs washington is so prestigious that it very may be the very last place you coach because the job is too stressful (Peterman), or the athletic department is so incompetent that guys like ty willingham and Jimmy lake were hired and were proven so bad they will never head coach ever again!

Washington should be a desired destination job. But your hires might very well stay content that they've made it and stop you know , actually doing the job that got them there ..like recruiting.

Not sure I've seen anyone doog that far. Try www.dogman.com.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

This is a false equivalency - UW hasn’t had a coach perform well enough other than Pete to be wanted, and Pete quit on UW. Sark dipped on UW first chance he had. Would anyone really be surprised if Kalen performs well here, and in a few years if one of the better Big 10 jobs opens up he leaves?

If he performs well I'd be surprised if he left. I think DeBoer wants to win championships and if he is capable of that he is capable of doing that at UW. If he shows that potential then his road to a championship is probably easier here at that point than whoever his suitors are. Sure, maybe he is clearly really good next year and Ryan Day is in a plane crash and there is a risk to us. Otherwise if he is the guy he can set himself up here and achieve his goals.

Also 81% chance Jen disappears his wife and steps in to fill the void, thus locking him in.
    that's next level recruiting right there. "Let's go get a hubby".
  • Options
    MotownMotown Member Posts: 145
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Motown said:

Sorry the sarcasm font wasn't working, but then again context might have informed you that dawgs aren't getting the best coaches
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405

ntxduck said:

Not really. FSU and Miami poaching your coaches in less than a five year span is a serious black eye for Oregon. And despite his in-game coaching flaws, Mario was 3-0 against us and whooped our asses on the recruiting trail. So him getting poached is a fucking delight on both levels.
    How is it a black eye? Two Florida guys left for Florida. Nobody outside of Oregon, Florida and Washington even knows this is happening.

• Options
    Motown said:

Motown said:

Sorry the sarcasm font wasn't working, but then again context might have informed you that dawgs aren't getting the best coaches
    It's not the first one I've missed; it won't be the last.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

ntxduck said:

I don’t know. This last hire from Grocery Outlet I don’t think is going to work out for you. But good luck the rest of the way.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,845
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Washington:

Gil Dobie to Navy
    Darrell Royal to Texas
    Seven to USC

I thought Suzzzalo fired Gloomy Gil?
    I can't find it now (actually I'm not going to look) but I know I read in the last month an account that he quit as a protest a la James. Suzzallo suspended one of his players for a championship game.

Suzzallo didn't get along to be sure, but he left on his own accord. He didn't tell anyone until the last game.

I'm sure I'm sure I'm butchering the details.

I seem to recall it was a Royal Brougham article?

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,845
    Founders Club

As long as Husky fans understand that Kellen Deboner has no long lost love for Washington and if he starts out three and 0 next year UW will need to tear up the bargain contract and pay him 100 million for the final 9 games plus the post season

Its always about the money. Even Bama had to give Nick the ultimate escalation clause because Texas was SERIOUS about taking him

If DeBoner wins the Pac in Year 1 you double his salary at a minimum.

We're getting the 1.5 years of MWC head coach experience, dealing in hypotheticals discounts.

If he proves his worth, pay the man his monies no questions asked.
    BUT HE HAS A CONTRACT!!! 1!!

@MikeDamone

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

dnc said:

Washington:

Gil Dobie to Navy
    Darrell Royal to Texas
    Seven to USC

I thought Suzzzalo fired Gloomy Gil?
    I can't find it now (actually I'm not going to look) but I know I read in the last month an account that he quit as a protest a la James. Suzzallo suspended one of his players for a championship game.

Suzzallo didn't get along to be sure, but he left on his own accord. He didn't tell anyone until the last game.

I'm sure I'm sure I'm butchering the details.

I seem to recall it was a Royal Brougham article?

Suzzallo forced him out IIRC. I have the book somewhere around here. Went onto continue to be a juggernaut coach even afterwards. Dumbest shit ever.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Gladstone said:

Sark and Royal are the obvious ones, although Sark was very close to being fired and was going to be had he lost the 2013 AC. As always, Saint Haden did indeed work miracles.

James and Pete both got burned out and quit football instead of hopping. I'm not sure if that reflects better on UW honestly lol

There are few things that annoy me more than the fact that he slithered out of here like a victorious Roman general and that 99% of the country saw it that way. When I was at the RR Shootout this year, Sark came up and a much of Sooners (with whom I was at that game) said, "Hey, Creep, you? guys had Sark, what do you think." When I got to the part of "he was door ass out just before Pat Haden FS threw our? hail mary for us?" they all chuckled and clearly thought it was sour grapes.

It's just about the best escape job I've ever seen. Even now ... I know 3 or 4 of his former players, and they are loyal to him beyond belief. You'd be surprised how many Huskies from that era credit him for bringing Washington back damnit!
    Shaq Thompson and Danny Shelton commented on Twitter after Sark was fired at USC for his alcohol issues words to the effect. “ Some things haven’t changed.”