Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some perspective on this hire and The Real Problem

2»

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Said it in another thread, but USC is vulnerable for one year because of the talent void from their bad 2019/2020 classes. Riley will recruit and have them elite soon enough… but the Pac12 can prevent a landslide if we collectively keep them at 8-4 or 9-3 next season
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021
    Riley wants to coach at the highest level. If he’s as good as he should be at USC, he’ll be gone in less than five years and be in the NFL.

There are no Sabans who stay at one place for 10-20 years anymore. If Saban wasn’t 106 years old, he’d move on, too.

Not sure what this has to do with UW, but we will all still be bitching and moaning about our? coach this year, next year and fucking forever. It’s what we do.
  • Options
    ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Does this extend to the fan bases as well? Because some people seriously need it especially up in here...
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

digits said:

And USC's defense needs MAJOR work.

Indeed. That defense is a dumpster fire and there's nothing that indicates Riley and Grinch can fix it. Look at Oklahoma's D every year under Riley/Grinch. It's moldy rotten shit. I don't get it.
    Maybe he’s banking on the Pac-12 QB situation remaining the same as all the top rated ones leave the region other than who he brings to USC?
    I'm sure he will get top QB talent just like he has at Oklahoma. That hasn't kept him from having unspeakable losses every year and numerous one-score victories in a shitty conference. He's barely beaten juggernauts like Army, Tulane, and Kansas and he's been repeatedly beaten by Kansas State, Iowa State, and Baylor despite talent advantages ... He's a very good coach but I wouldn't call him great yet until he fields a top 50 defense.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Problem I have with the hire is USC and LSU swung for the fences and nailed it. Did UW even try? Did UW try to lure a lateral hire from a power 5? Going after a coach that would make WSU and Arizona excited just doesn’t make a lot of sense unless you tried and struck out everywhere else. I am hopeful this guy and his staff kill it, but very pessimistic at the lazy ass approach and failure to even try.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Does this extend to the fan bases as well? Because some people seriously need it especially up in here...

You should PM @IrishDawg22, he has this place dialed in.

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,304
    Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

Problem I have with the hire is USC and LSU swung for the fences and nailed it. Did UW even try? Did UW try to lure a lateral hire from a power 5? Going after a coach that would make WSU and Arizona excited just doesn’t make a lot of sense unless you tried and struck out everywhere else. I am hopeful this guy and his staff kill it, but very pessimistic at the lazy ass approach and failure to even try.

Ironic.

• Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2021
    Clevdawg said:

Congratulations to Jen Cohen for hiring the best high school football coach west of Minneapolis. Reportedly Jen Pushed Hard For Chuck Tarbox of Juanita, Dee Hawkes from Bothell, Monte Kohler, O’Dea, Bill Beattie, Tumwater all quoted family concerns and a lack of commitment from upper campus in declining Jen’s overtures.

Lame take. “Warren Winlock Miller Race Race Bannon Duckfighter Illustrated Bill Moos Olympia High School” trash Bill Beattie doesn’t deserve mention. Everyone knows Tumwater = Sid Otton. His grandsons, Cade and Ryan, should beat you. Repeatedly.

#HotSouthSoundHighSchoolFootballTakes

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,554
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

When Mel Tucker got 9 million after going 8-1 the market changed

7 million is chump change

8-1 with a big dick win is far beyond 7 - 5 with a horrible conference record.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    LawDawg1 said:

You're asking questions that have very well documented answers. That UW made a huge pitch to Campbell and was turned down is pretty common knowledge at this point.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jen made overtures to Aranda and Stoops too, and they just told her to fuck off from the get go.

Jen should be fired irregardless, but you're a fucking idiot if you thought we had a shot at any of those guys in the first place (though I doogishly dreamed of Campbell), especially given the competition of open jobs. Cohen or no Cohen, we're not a fucking blue blood. You're a bit late to the party if you're just now bitching about an administration that decided to stop running with the big boys 25 years ago. So know your place and enjoy your moderately encouraging G5 hire and hope for the stars to align just like every other school that isn't a perennial top 10 has to.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

TheHB said:

Campbell isn’t worth $7 million a year. I’m glad UW didn’t go higher than that with him. He’s done nothing to deserve that kind of payday.

Couldn't agree more. Campbell at 7 million wasn't a big dick move at all. I think it was conservative and safe, but still overpaying for someone with no record of being elite.

I think what people are mostly pissed about is that UW didn't go 8 figures per year and snag a coach from a playoff contender. I get it but I can't be too pissed about that when I never thought it was in the picture.
    First, you need a dick to make a big dick hire. UW has no dick, let alone a big one.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,066
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Clevdawg said:

Swaye, you think Tarbox and Dee wouldn’t do as well as this guy? Ha.. Dude put down the Rose Colored glasses. Riley is going to own this conference along with Super Mario for the next 8 years. Jen didn’t open up the check book. USC finally said fuck it. That’s a problem. Curious as to why you think Riley won’t dominate.

I said I disagreed with MOST of your post. In another thread I said I could see Riley making it USC and the 11 dwarves again. High probability Riley kills it at USC.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,945
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

TheHB said:

Campbell isn’t worth $7 million a year. I’m glad UW didn’t go higher than that with him. He’s done nothing to deserve that kind of payday.

Couldn't agree more. Campbell at 7 million wasn't a big dick move at all. I think it was conservative and safe, but still overpaying for someone with no record of being elite.

I think what people are mostly pissed about is that UW didn't go 8 figures per year and snag a coach from a playoff contender. I get it but I can't be too pissed about that when I never thought it was in the picture.
    Here’s the thing, Jen doesn’t have that kinda attitude. She probably thought to herself, I’d love to offer a Riley or similar but he’d never Oklahoma.
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    All the Lincoln Riley hype is so overblown. The guy did jack shit at Oklahoma. He took over a ready made Stoops machine and never won a big game. In fact, the wheels were starting to come off. Now he is taking over a dumpster fire. I think Lincoln has a date with Ford's Theater in about 3 years.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756

LawDawg1 said:

Ironic.

Sorry but I don’t see Campbell as a huge win over DeBoer. I also don’t see Iowa State as a lateral move, though maybe I should. Campbell is nowhere near the same sizzle as Riley, Kelly, etc. it would be the same as Kansas State stealing Wilcox from Cal.