Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    ChillyDawgChillyDawg Member Posts: 1,469
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Paolo was only a passenger in the car yet he is being charged initially with aiding and abetting for riding along in the vehicle as a passenger in the back seat at that? The police are just trying to charge Paolo with something for whatever reason(s). How can they prove that he encouraged Michael to drive? He was just a passenger in the vehicle. How often do passengers get charged in this situation? Serious overcharge. I don't think that charge will hold up and will be dropped eventually.

I highly doubt that Paolo will be suspended from Duke as he did nothing wrong besides making a bad decision with riding with an impaired driver. Paolo played tonight for Duke while Michael did not suit up.

Freshman Paolo Banchero is starting for Duke in Tuesday night’s game with Gardner-Webb while junior Michael Savarino is not in uniform. The two were charged in a driving while impaired incident early Sunday morning.

The 6-foot-10, 250-pound Banchero was charged with aiding and abetting a DWI after he and Savarino were pulled over by state Highway Patrol officers around 1:10 a.m. Sunday. The 19-year-old Banchero was charged and released at the scene while Savarino, 20, was arrested and charged with DWI. His breathalyzer reading was 0.08.

Savarino, a former walk-on who was put on scholarship this season, is the grandson of Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. He is not on the bench with the team.

Banchero is a projected NBA Draft Lottery pick should he leave Duke following this season as expected. He has averaged 19.3 points and 8.7 rebounds this season for No. 7 Duke (3-0). Krzyzewski is expected to address the situation following Tuesday night’s game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMyUnoZeiWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqh-IIR6Lc
  • Options
    ESPN https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32643987/duke-basketball-player-michael-savarino-grandson-coach-mike-krzyzewski-face-dwi-charges-paolo-banchero

Duke guard Michael Savarino, grandson of coach Mike Krzyzewski, and star freshman Paolo Banchero face DWI-related charges after Savarino's arrest early Sunday morning.

According to court records obtained by The (Raleigh) News & Observer, Savarino, 20, was arrested on DWI charges and Banchero, 19, was charged with aiding and abetting DWI.

Savarino was pulled over early Sunday morning after a stop sign violation, and an ensuing breathalyzer test showed a blood alcohol content of 0.08. That's the legal limit in North Carolina. He is also accused of failure to yield at a stop sign and driving after consuming. His license was revoked for 30 days, as is standard under North Carolina law. He was taken into custody without incident, a police spokesman told WTVD television.

According to citations obtained from the Orange County District Court by the News & Observer, Savarino was driving a white 2017 Jeep SUV registered to Banchero, who was a passenger in the back seat.

Banchero was charged with aiding and abetting DWI and was cited and released.

"We are reviewing a legal matter involving two members of the men's basketball team," Krzyzewski said in a statement to the newspaper. "Any further actions as a result of this situation will ultimately be determined by the Vice President/Director of Athletics and University officials."

Savarino's court date is Dec. 9, according to the newspaper; Banchero's is Dec. 8.

No. 7 Duke beat visiting Gardner-Webb 92-52 on Tuesday night. Banchero got the start, finishing with 10 points. Savarino did not play.

"Two different situations," Krzyzewski said of the decision to start Banchero. "Two entirely different situations. Headlines might make it look like it's the same -- it's not. The decisions we made are in conjunction with our authorities, my superiors. We're taking action. We took action and we will continue to take action."

Of the incident as a whole, Krzyzewski said: "We had a violation of our standards, and we'll handle that internally. We've already handled -- are handling it. But, violation of our standards. And that's it."

Banchero is a potential No. 1 pick in the 2022 NBA draft and is averaging 19.3 points and 8.7 rebounds through three games. Savarino is a former walk-on who was put on scholarship last summer. His mother is Krzyzewski's oldest daughter. She is an assistant athletics director at Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dxz3B5AkMc
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I totally agree it doesn't seem that much, but I'm wondering if the laws are different for underage drivers. Both the driver and PB are underage, and any level of intoxication is a DWI. The fact it was PB's car would make me assume he was also intoxicated, and couldn't drive the car. Even being drunk in a car one can get a DWI. That being said the News Observer explains what Banchero is charged with doing:

WHAT IS AIDING AND ABETTING DWI?

Using the State v. Goode definition of aiding and abetting, a defendant aids and abets impaired driving when they:
    ▪ Knowingly advise, instigate, encourage or aid another person to drive while impaired and
    ▪ Their actions cause or contribute to the commission of the DWI crime.

WHEN CAN SOMEONE BE CHARGED WITH AIDING AND ABETTING DWI?

According to a UNC-Chapel Hill School of Government blog, a common scenario in which a person might be charged with aiding and abetting DWI is when a person knowingly gives control of their vehicle to an impaired driver and rides along with them.

▪ In 2003, the Georgia Court of Appeals concluded in Guzman v. State that the owner of a vehicle who was neither the driver nor a passenger in the car aided and abetted driving under the influence when he gave beer and his car keys to a 14-year-old driver. A person may not be charged with aiding and abetting DWI if they do nothing more than fail to stop or prevent a person from driving while impaired.

▪ In 1975, the N.C. Supreme Court stated in State v. Sanders that “the mere presence” of a person at the scene of the crime, even if they do nothing to prevent the crime, does not make the person guilty.

I'm guessing the scenario goes like this:

They are at a party and a bunch of EC football players are filming a sex act in a truck. PB and others are getting a good buzz and decide to head back to campus. PB probably goes I'm too drunk to drive, and asks if anyone is good driving home, and Lil MK says he's good and can handle the drive. PB hands over the keys and that makes him COMPLICIT!!!!111!! Lil MK does fine but blows a stop sign like a rich kid somehow on scholarship at Duke would. Have we mentioned almost everyone who goes to Duke is an asshole? Well they get pulled over, Lil MK and PB explain the situation, and to their surprise, both get busted.

And scene.

I'm guessing he gets a slap on the wrist, maybe has to attend a class, pay a fine, or something.
  • Options
    I can see the police trying to charge Paolo because it was his car but he wasn't arrested and booked like Michael was. No mention if Paolo was drunk by any news source. But if he was suspected of consuming alcohol I believe that the police and/or media would have made that known in the arrest or in the media articles-new stories since Paolo's name is the name being used to hype up the incident. Paolo wasn't charged for being underaged and drunk either so that could mean that he wasn't drunk or didn't have to take a breathalyzer test because he was a passenger in the vehicle.

I think Paolo's lawyer will be able to get him off easily with no record. Michael may have to take some alcohol classes and pay a fine but he will most likely not spend any time in jail...time will tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-5mUBQTGg4
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    .08 BAC is a fraction of what Mark Few got popped for.

Big difference between 0.08 and 0.12.

Drunk maff.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I can see the police trying to charge Paolo because it was his car but he wasn't arrested and booked like Michael was. No mention if Paolo was drunk by any news source. But if he was suspected of consuming alcohol I believe that the police and/or media would have made that known in the arrest or in the media articles-new stories since Paolo's name is the name being used to hype up the incident. Paolo wasn't charged for being underaged and drunk either so that could mean that he wasn't drunk or didn't have to take a breathalyzer test because he was a passenger in the vehicle.

I think Paolo's lawyer will be able to get him off easily with no record. Michael may have to take some alcohol classes and pay a fine but he will most likely not spend any time in jail...time will tell.

If Paolo wasn't drunk and let a drunk person drive his car then he is FS, and that's why he was charged.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

If Paolo wasn't drunk and let a drunk person drive his car then he is FS, and that's why he was charged.
    This is the weird situation an individual (in this case Paolo) will come off looking significantly worse if he wasn't drunk.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781

Just like other 17 year old white supremacists active shooters males, the brain isn't fully developed yet.

Less drunk guy driving > more drunk guy driving.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just like other 17 year old white supremacists active shooters males, the brain isn't fully developed yet.

Less drunk guy driving > more drunk guy driving.

See my scenario / re-enactment above.

Agreed.
  • Options
    The Raleigh News & Observer https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article255893746.html

SB Nation https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2021/11/18/22788888/michael-savarino-and-paolo-banchero-efland-nc-duke-basketball

The law of unintended consequences rears its ugly head

We’d just like to take up a couple of other points about the Savarino/Banchero incident.

We were listening to Jay Bilas on the podcast Bald Men On Campus and according to Bilas, Savarino and Banchero were in Efland to attend a party.

And that needs to be talked about.

We can certainly understand why Duke and other universities have banned drinking on campus. First, bad things happen when lots of people drink. And second, liability is liability.

But is the alternative any better?

Why on earth are Duke kids driving to Efland to go to a party? That’s beyond us. We understand they are renting places to have parties since they can’t do it on campus. The Duke lacrosse party was held off-campus. But Efland? That’s 25 miles out. The only thing that makes sense is that it’s way cheaper to rent a place in Efland than Durham and obviously people are going to have to drive to get there.

Whatever the reason, having college kids drive 25 miles to go to a party is not good. If bad things were happening with on-campus drinking it’s likely to be much worse in Efland. Savarino and Banchero were pulled over and taken off the road. How many other kids were at that party who had to get back to campus? How much did they have to drink?

Unintentionally, the prohibition of alcohol on campus has created a problem that may become a much worse issue than the one it sought to fix. We don’t know what it is, but there has to be a smarter way to deal with this.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHH5NepDGQk

Paolo Banchero Talks about his Experience dealing with Racial Profiling from the Seattle Police when leaving a Chris Brown Concert with a friends. Paolo says "I could have lost my life". He has a message for kids to listen to their parents when discussing how to act when dealing with the Police.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    247 Sports https://247sports.com/Article/Duke-basketball-Jay-Williams-comments-on-Michael-Savarino-Paolo-Banchero-incident-Coach-K-response-175623805/

Duke basketball: Jay Williams comments on Michael Savarino/Paolo Banchero incident, Coach K response

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski made the decision to play and start star freshman Paolo Banchero after after he and junior guard Michael Savarino were involved in an incident over the weekend, with court records obtained by the Raleigh News & Observer showing that Savarino was arrested for DWI while Banchero is charged with aiding and abetting DWI. Former Duke basketball player and top-5 NBA Draft pick Jay Williams says that how Krzyzewski handles the situation and any other off-the-court incidents in his final year as Duke's head coach may very well determine how close the team can get to achieving its goal of sending Krzyzewski out with a national championship.

"I understand that (Paolo Banchero) is a top player, but he is sitting in the back seat," Williams said on ESPN's KJM. "He is not a story here. He was released at the incident. The story was Michael Savarino, who, look, might be suspended indefinitely. I don't think there will be any repercussions for Paolo. From somebody who made a mistake that people still try to throw at my face to this day, these things do happen when people are young. They happen every single day. That does not excuse the action.

"But I think the biggest story here is that these are the challenges that Coach K is going to face in his last year of coaching, and how he ultimately handles these things will determine whether this team, who has a legit chance to win a national championship ... this team has a national championship team in them. These are the kinds of hiccups that will happen over the course of this season, and how Coach K manages these things will determine the altitude of this team."

Krzyzewski, who released a statement earlier Tuesday, was asked about the situation after the game and was pressed about starting Banchero.

“We had a violation of our standards and we’ll handle that internally,” Krzyzewski said. “We’re already handling it, but it’s a violation of our standards ... “It’s two entirely different situations (with Savarino and Banchero) Headlines might make it look like it’s the same, but it’s not. The decisions we made are in conjunction with our authorities and my superiors. We’re taking action and will continue to take action.”

The N.C. Highway Patrol made the arrests in Orange County, according to a report by the News & Observer. A conviction of aiding and abetting DWI is punished as a Level 5 DWI in North Carolina and could include a fine and up to two months in jail.

“We are reviewing a legal matter involving two members of the men’s basketball team,” Krzyzewski said in a statement released by Duke athletics to the N&O. “Any further actions as a result of this situation will ultimately be determined by the Vice President/Director of Athletics and University officials.”
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLW_5BXUWw

ESPN: Keyshawn Johnson, Jay Williams and Alan Hahn discuss the news that Duke Blue Devils guard Michael Savarino, grandson of head coach Mike Krzyzewski, and star freshman Paolo Banchero face DWI-related charges.
  • Options
    ESPN https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32695816/duke-blue-devils-paolo-banchero-addressing-dwi-related-charge-says-all-learned-have-moved-on

Duke Blue Devils' Paolo Banchero, addressing DWI-related charge, says 'we all learned from it' and have 'moved on'

Duke freshman forward Paolo Banchero, speaking for the first time since he was charged with aiding and abetting impaired driving during a Nov. 14 incident that involved teammate Michael Savarino, said Monday night that the Blue Devils "all learned from it" and have "moved on."

"My teammates had my back, so it wasn't too hard for me,'' Banchero said after scoring a career-high 28 points in Monday's 107-81 win over The Citadel. "I'm not going to say it wasn't on my mind the past two games. It was. I feel like today was a bounce-back game for me and I felt good out there.''

Banchero, a top NBA prospect, was in the starting lineup against Gardner-Webb on Nov. 16 for Duke's first game following the incident. He finished with 10 points in that game and 11 points in Friday's win over Lafayette, his lowest-scoring games of the season.

Savarino, who is head coach Mike Krzyzewski's grandson, was charged with driving while impaired and driving after consuming under the age of 21. He has been suspended from team activities.

"We all learned from it,'' Banchero said. "I can't really say much about it. We learned from it and we handled it as a team. We've moved on, though. We want to get on with our season.''

Asked at one point during his postgame session with reporters if he has "any regrets about what happened," Banchero replied, "No."

Banchero also said he did not address the team about the situation.

"They all know what happened. I know what happened. Coach knows what happened, so there was no need for me to [address them] because we all know what happened," Banchero said.