Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

California vs USC Game Cancelled-Rescheduled Due To COVID...

ESPN (click for full article) https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32593272/usc-cal-football-game-postponed-due-covid-19-cases-golden-bears

The USC-California football game scheduled for Saturday has been postponed, Cal announced Tuesday.

"It was a difficult decision to postpone this Saturday's game against USC," Cal athletic director Jim Knowlton said in a statement. "We know how important every one of our games is to our student-athletes, especially our seniors who have been incredible representatives of the program, but it was the right thing to do.

"Due to additional impact on specific position groups, we have decided to postpone Saturday's game. We have had multiple COVID-19 positives within our program, and we are taking every step we can to mitigate the spread and protect the greater community."

The schools later agreed, and received Pac-12 approval, to reschedule the game for Dec. 4 -- a day after the conference title game. That follows the precedent set when the Big Game between Cal and Stanford was postponed in 2018, due to poor air quality.

Cal was undermanned for its game at Arizona on Saturday, with approximately 42 scholarship players in uniform after roughly two dozen tested positive during the week. The team, which has a 99% vaccination rate among players, experienced additional positive cases after the Arizona game, the school said.

Comments

• JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,059
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Why Cal? And not any other school? I thought we? here on the west coast had better science.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Garbers put out a statement. He’s pretty pissed at the medical head honchos at Cal and the local government. Lots of double speak pressure and ultimatums put on the players to TEST, TEST, TEST or they wouldn’t be able to play until the testing determined they couldn’t play anymore. Madness. Cal might be the only place in the conference harder to recruit to than UW right now. As my friend said, What’s their pitch like? “We won’t hit you but we won’t let you play.” Wilcox should resign and move on.
  • OneNippleOneNipple Member Posts: 178
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Why Cal? And not any other school? I thought we? here on the west coast had better science.

And Cal has a 99% vaccination rate for its roster...I guess vaccinated people can still catch COVID at high enough rates to postpone a college football game.
    Curious if the 1 or 2 players that didnt get vaxxed are giggling inside!!
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We don’t they take covid seriously and get vaccinated