Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dom Hampton and Carson Bruener change everything for this defense

2»

Comments

• Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,281
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Voi got good push and is not huge but has lateral quickness, the rest of the interior is soft. Bookie was 30yrs off LOS and backpedaling on obvious run downs. We stacked more innthe box which was nice. Bruner has the physical abilities and IQ, Pops brought him up right.

Davis and McGrew are a nice combo.

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,325
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember a single Cam Davis run from this game. It was 3rd and 1, and the play was a dive to the right side. There was a hole--not a huge hole, but the kind of hole where, sitting on my couch, I just assumed he'd fall through it for an easy first down. Instead, he just... misses it. Like, not misses seeing it, just gets the approach wrong and runs right into his guard instead, bounces back, and by the time he can resume forward momentum, the hole has closed and he's brought down short of the line to gain. Failed 4th down sneak followed.

I sat there wondering what the fuck had even happened, it was so baffling.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I remember a single Cam Davis run from this game. It was 3rd and 1, and the play was a dive to the right side. There was a hole--not a huge hole, but the kind of hole where, sitting on my couch, I just assumed he'd fall through it for an easy first down. Instead, he just... misses it. Like, not misses seeing it, just gets the approach wrong and runs right into his guard instead, bounces back, and by the time he can resume forward momentum, the hole has closed and he's brought down short of the line to gain. Failed 4th down sneak followed.

And I was mad because the fucker finished with 99 yards. Now, its hey dumbass, he would've had 100 if he could have picked a first down there.

FY FM FE FCD
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Davis had some issues with running into the blockers. There was one downfield a bit where the blocker was trying to spring him for a bug Olay and had a chance, UT instead stumbled right into his path at the worst time and got run into.

He's limited but pretty good. He doesn't cut real well, at least at that stadium. Then he makes some nice moves to beat would be tacklers, but doesn't see well as he's doing it and usually goes left when he should go right (or vice versa) and doesn’t run into daylight when it's there.

He's also deceptively fast when he gets going upheld. He's way more explosive and has way more potential to outrun somebody and house one than McGrew. I'm a firm believer that you have to play the RBs who can house it. Long, running TDs are important and all the good teams get them.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,599
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2021
    So i remember Napoleon when he arrived as a freshman and the guy had no sense of play development timing... it was hilarious watching him literally bounce 5 yards backward after slamming into the asses of the offensive lineman prior to the expected hole opening... after the bounce the linemen would turn around and look at this young idiot and say JFC, WTF.

We had bigtime mean AF linemen at the time that really understood their assignments and it was amusing to watch the learning curve and the interaction with the linemen. This kid will figure it out ~ because we haven't had it since he has been here, he didn't get the benefit of watching the junior senior RB's that have mastered the art of following the blocks in the great tradition.

I'm not saying he is NIP, just that its one of the things kids have to learn, especially if take it to the house speed is what got them the scholi in the first place.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

So i remember Napoleon when he arrived as a freshman and the guy had no sense of play development timing... it was hilarious watching him literally bounce 5 yards backward after slamming into the asses of the offensive lineman prior to the expected hole opening... after the bounce the linemen would turn around and look at this young idiot and say JFC, WTF.

We had bigtime mean AF linemen at the time that really understood their assignments and it was hilarious to watch the learning curve and the interaction with the linemen. This kid will figure it out ~ because we haven't had it since he has been here, he didn't get the benefit of watching the junior senior RB's that have mastered the art of following the blocks in the great tradition.

I'm not saying he is NIP, just that its one of the things kids have to learn, especially if take it to the house speed is what got them the scholi in the first place.

He's in his third year in the program
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,599
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

We had bigtime mean AF linemen at the time that really understood their assignments and it was hilarious to watch the learning curve and the interaction with the linemen. This kid will figure it out ~ because we haven't had it since he has been here, he didn't get the benefit of watching the junior senior RB's that have mastered the art of following the blocks in the great tradition.

I'm not excusing it, its just lack of in game time where the play operates in real time... and these are rookie mistakes... hopefully he catches on ~ no guarantee of that.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    I'm pretty sure I said Hampton should start at safety before week 1. Getting a hitter at safety helps your run defense. Not shocked it took Jimmy this long to figure that out though.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I'm pretty sure I said Hampton should start at safety before week 1. Getting a hitter at safety helps your run defense. Not shocked it took Jimmy this long to figure that out though.

He needs more time
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    chuck said:

dnc said:

But hasn't had many game reps, and apparently nobody on this team gets better in practice anymore.
    This is definitely true. And we don’t blow anyone out so the starters play most downs.

All that being said Davis looks average at best to me. I don’t see one thing he does above average.
  • Options
    Jdawg1991Jdawg1991 Member Posts: 148
    Houhusky said:

It cannot be understated how big the difference was in NOT having ASA fucking turner backpedeling and intentionally taking poor angles like a pussy.

Radley Hiles played pretty well at safety AND it gave the defense some actual versatility because Hiles can actually tackle and cover the slot in man so the defense can actually rotate to a cover 1 sometimes.

The interception that Sirmon got in the 2nd quarter to stop a long Stanford drive into the UW redzone was because the defense disguised itself as its typical soft cover 2 deep safeties but it was actually an aggressive cover 1 man with Hiles covering the slot WR and the Standford QB panicked when he realized he read the pre snap defense incorrectly.

Edit: hiles also regularly played <10 off the LOS instead of backpedeling furiously off the screen. </p>

Run game NOGAF it can't hurt you like the pass game can. Least of that elitist Brah, @backthepack's worries.