Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Reality We All Knew - Men of Troy in Ruins

And another wake-up for Jen and Jimmy about lazy recruiting and LIPO...

https://theathletic.com/2843190/2021/09/23/how-usc-crashed-a-friggin-ferrari-of-talent-and-what-it-means-for-the-next-head-coach/

Excerpts:

Last week, a different former USC assistant coach, who is now coaching at another FBS program, sat on the phone reflecting on what went wrong for Helton, the man who hired him. He thought Helton did a good job of letting coaches coach and not micromanaging. But ultimately, there’s more to the gig than people skills.

“Looking back on it,” the coach said, “he didn’t hire the right people, and maybe I am one of them. That sounds bad.”

“When they brought Clay in, I just think the lack of hiring really good (assistant) coaches was the downfall,” one successful Southern California high school coach said. “Kids want to be in a professional environment and want to have an opportunity to potentially play in the NFL and play in the College Football Playoff — and they know SC is nowhere near that happening with those guys.”

As far as recruiting went, there was a lot of dead weight on Helton’s staff. Former defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast was never too interested in recruiting. Neither was former secondary coach Ronnie Bradford nor offensive line coach Neil Callaway.

“He had guys on the staff who he let not recruit at all,” one of the former assistants said. “He got away from what USC is.”

Said one former recruiting staffer, “Coaches on the 2018 and 2019 staffs didn’t recruit. Didn’t care. No leadership. Acted like it was a country club to hang out rather than compete. It was 1,000 percent laziness.”

“It was a combo (of things),” another former recruiting staffer said. “Some bad players, some coaches who weren’t great evaluators or teachers. Every coach has a different personality and wants different traits in guys. When you are changing coaches every year, the new guy isn’t going to like some of the players the old coach signed.”

“USC always is gonna be ranked top 10 in recruiting but that’s because when you commit to USC you’re all of a sudden ‘a great’ recruit,’” one of the former assistants said. “We had coaches in the building who knew the guys at (the recruiting sites) and they’d call them, ‘Hey I need you to rate this kid as a 4-star before I take his commitment.’ That’s the way that stuff works.

“If we signed 25 kids there were 10 of them that were that way. We had so many (four and five-star guys) who were just terrible. We signed one five-star linebacker and he would’ve been a really good player 30 years ago when it was just going from A-gap to A-gap but not these days when you gotta go tackle perimeter screens now and go sideline to sideline. Look at all those cats that Alabama is running around with. Saban turns down 10 five-stars a year because he knows they’re not good enough.”

“There’s probably 20 kids a year, maybe 30 that are getting paid big money to play college football,” the former assistant said. “The vast majority of them are quarterbacks and D-linemen. We had multiple staff meetings where Clay said, ‘If you get caught cheating, you are being fired.’ His thing was, ‘If they fire me, it’s gonna be for losing. Not cheating.’

“USC was coming off the scandal, and he’d been part of that staff coming back. We couldn’t play the game the way the game is played at that level. Now with NIL, you can do it, which is why they created the BLVD (USC’s in-house partnership with J1S, which focuses on helping student-athletes maximize their market value). That is gonna be huge for them.”

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Slick Jimmy = Helton - Rose Bowl Ring
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,572 Swaye's Wigwam
    Beno4Life said:

...We had multiple staff meetings where Clay said, ‘If you get caught cheating, you are being fired.’ His thing was, ‘If they fire me, it’s gonna be for losing. Not cheating.’

I've always suspected this was part of the problem, and it saddens me how obvious it is that a program with a rich history of winning the wrong way would find it impossible to win the "right way." It's the kind of shit that makes me want to stop watching/caring at all.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,363 Swaye's Wigwam
    Beno4Life said:

And another wake-up for Jen and Jimmy about lazy recruiting and LIPO...

https://theathletic.com/2843190/2021/09/23/how-usc-crashed-a-friggin-ferrari-of-talent-and-what-it-means-for-the-next-head-coach/

Excerpts:

Last week, a different former USC assistant coach, who is now coaching at another FBS program, sat on the phone reflecting on what went wrong for Helton, the man who hired him. He thought Helton did a good job of letting coaches coach and not micromanaging. But ultimately, there’s more to the gig than people skills.

“Looking back on it,” the coach said, “he didn’t hire the right people, and maybe I am one of them. That sounds bad.”

“When they brought Clay in, I just think the lack of hiring really good (assistant) coaches was the downfall,” one successful Southern California high school coach said. “Kids want to be in a professional environment and want to have an opportunity to potentially play in the NFL and play in the College Football Playoff — and they know SC is nowhere near that happening with those guys.”

As far as recruiting went, there was a lot of dead weight on Helton’s staff. Former defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast was never too interested in recruiting. Neither was former secondary coach Ronnie Bradford nor offensive line coach Neil Callaway.

“He had guys on the staff who he let not recruit at all,” one of the former assistants said. “He got away from what USC is.”

Said one former recruiting staffer, “Coaches on the 2018 and 2019 staffs didn’t recruit. Didn’t care. No leadership. Acted like it was a country club to hang out rather than compete. It was 1,000 percent laziness.”

“It was a combo (of things),” another former recruiting staffer said. “Some bad players, some coaches who weren’t great evaluators or teachers. Every coach has a different personality and wants different traits in guys. When you are changing coaches every year, the new guy isn’t going to like some of the players the old coach signed.”

“USC always is gonna be ranked top 10 in recruiting but that’s because when you commit to USC you’re all of a sudden ‘a great’ recruit,’” one of the former assistants said. “We had coaches in the building who knew the guys at (the recruiting sites) and they’d call them, ‘Hey I need you to rate this kid as a 4-star before I take his commitment.’ That’s the way that stuff works.

“If we signed 25 kids there were 10 of them that were that way. We had so many (four and five-star guys) who were just terrible. We signed one five-star linebacker and he would’ve been a really good player 30 years ago when it was just going from A-gap to A-gap but not these days when you gotta go tackle perimeter screens now and go sideline to sideline. Look at all those cats that Alabama is running around with. Saban turns down 10 five-stars a year because he knows they’re not good enough.”

“There’s probably 20 kids a year, maybe 30 that are getting paid big money to play college football,” the former assistant said. “The vast majority of them are quarterbacks and D-linemen. We had multiple staff meetings where Clay said, ‘If you get caught cheating, you are being fired.’ His thing was, ‘If they fire me, it’s gonna be for losing. Not cheating.’

“USC was coming off the scandal, and he’d been part of that staff coming back. We couldn’t play the game the way the game is played at that level. Now with NIL, you can do it, which is why they created the BLVD (USC’s in-house partnership with J1S, which focuses on helping student-athletes maximize their market value). That is gonna be huge for them.”
    DLine

No fucking shit
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,056

That has to be Palaie Gaoteote from Bishop Gorman.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,864

Beno4Life said:

...We had multiple staff meetings where Clay said, ‘If you get caught cheating, you are being fired.’ His thing was, ‘If they fire me, it’s gonna be for losing. Not cheating.’

I've always suspected this was part of the problem, and it saddens me how obvious it is that a program with a rich history of winning the wrong way would find it impossible to win the "right way." It's the kind of shit that makes me want to stop watching/caring at all.
    I really want a minor league so the ghetto shitheads that dont want to play school can go there and make no money and be miserable losers before they fail and go to jail.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

Beno4Life said:

I really want a minor league so the ghetto shitheads that dont want to play school can go there and make no money and be miserable losers before they fail and go to jail.
    ISAFNRC
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,236
    FireCohen said:

Beno4Life said:

ISAFNRC
    HR,YK
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited September 2021
    The part about rankings getting bumped because a kid commits to USC is something I’ve said for years to argue against the blue chip bullshit.

Smalls is a prime example of a 5 star that really didn’t have blue bloods that wanted him. Saban does turn down 5 stars every year.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Pauly G is the 5 star LB that has no place in today’s game. The 250 pound MLB is a liability today.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,627 Standard Supporter

Pauly G is the 5 star LB that has no place in today’s game. The 250 pound MLB is a liability today.

Levon Kirkland weeps