Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NBA Finals preview

Pacers Rockets on ESPN now.

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rockets aren't beating the Thunder or Spurs. Terrance Jones and Patrick Beverly are not starting caliber players on a Finals team.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Rockets aren't beating the Thunder or Spurs. Terrance Jones and Patrick Beverly are not starting caliber players on a Finals team.

Both are better than Perkins and Sefolosha.

You know Mario Chalmers has started like 18 Finals games right?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Those teams have LeBron and Durant. The Thunder and Heat's big 3 are far superior to the Rockets. Perkins will come in handy against Dwight. Teams without superstars need great supporting casts. Harden and Dwight are very good, but they aren't superstars by any means.

If you think the Spurs or Thunder are losing to the Rockets you are an idiot. Take all the screenshots you need. It's more likely the Rockets lose in the first round than make the Finals.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I agree with road dawg, rockets are not beating the spurs or the thunder. Harden is a star but he isn't on the level or Durant or Lebron or even close to it and Dwight can't shoot free throws, I would pick the clippers to beat them as well.
    The thunder have two superstars (Westbrook is a superstar) and the spurs have the most depth in the league and it isn't close, and the best coach in the nba. The rockets don't stand a chance against either
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Those teams have LeBron and Durant. The Thunder and Heat's big 3 are far superior to the Rockets. Perkins will come in handy against Dwight. Teams without superstars need great supporting casts. Harden and Dwight are very good, but they aren't superstars by any means.

If you think the Spurs or Thunder are losing to the Rockets you are an idiot. Take all the screenshots you need. It's more likely the Rockets lose in the first round than make the Finals.
    I agree the Rockets aren't going to the finals. But not because their 4th and 5th best starters aren't good enough, because their big three isn't as good as the big threes of SA/OKC.

Jones and Beverly are adequate last two starters on the right team.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,378
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rockets in the finals is a pretty good joke. Thanks for that.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Indiana lacks the backcourt offense & star power to win a title. Maybe they beat Miami but we all know the champ is probably coming from the west.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yep I am off the Indiana bandwagon, if wade is healthy I can see them taking it to 7 but in the end losing. I might just be hopping on road's spurs bandwagon here pretty soon
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I think Indiana has reached the part of the season where there is a massive lull to them and the only thing that they have to play for is ensuring that they keep home court advantage over Miami. They'll have at least the first series in the East to increase their intensity level and a decent chance the East Semi's as well. They are plenty good enough to win a 7 game series against anybody in the West.

As for the Rockets, there's no guarantee that they get out of the first round. I like the Clippers to get the 3rd spot in the West and that will leave the Rockets in a 4-5 series against Portland. The winner of the West isn't going to be a 4-5 team because even if they get through the first 2 series, they will be destroyed by the West Finals after what most likely will be two 7 game series.

At this point, I'm liking the Spurs and Clippers to come out of the West.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited March 2014
    Pacers and Rockets, are those teams still as fucking boring as they were back in the Michael Jordan era? I always loved watching a Reggie Miller and Hakeem Olajuwon snooze fest. They're up there with Detlef Schrempf, Clyde Drexler and Charles Oakley. Barkley and Jordan were true entertainers.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014

Pacers and Rockets, are those teams still as fucking boring as they were back in the Michael Jordan era? I always loved watching a Reggie Miller and Hakeem Olajuwon snooze fest. They're up there with Detlef Schrempf, Clyde Drexler and Charles Oakley. Barkley and Jordan were true entertainers.

You must not be a basketball fan. Hakeem might be my favorite center of all time to watch. Just you mentioning him made me pull up some YouTube highlights. I already loved the Sonics, but the two years he won the title are a fond memory of when I first started following the NBA. I went in the backyard and did a shitty version of the "Dream Shake" when he destroyed David Robinson in the playoffs.

Reggie Miller is a part of one of the most entertaining game that plays on NBA classic. I will agree that the Pacers were kind of boring with the Davis bros and Rik Smits, but I enjoyed Reggie Miller. He was clutch.

I agree with you about Jordan and Barkey (wiw), but the Bulls were kind of boring during their second three peat. They were a great defensive team that grinded it out in the halfcourt. The late 90's/early 2000's were boring years for the NBA. The Bulls-Jazz finals were a dreckfest and the only reason they get pumped up is because of the flu game and Jordan hitting the shot over Russell. Only one team scored over 100 points in 12 games. Surprisingly, that was the Jazz in 1997.

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The best thing right now about the NBA (outside of a bumper crop of talent that the league hasn't had since the mid 80s to early 90s) is that coaches have realized that playing a slow down and grind it out game in the half court results in unsuccessful offensive play as defensive game planning has gotten so good that it's difficult to score in the half court if you run your sets. The embracing of playing an up and down game again combined with so many great young point guards is great for the game.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

The best thing right now about the NBA (outside of a bumper crop of talent that the league hasn't had since the mid 80s to early 90s) is that coaches have realized that playing a slow down and grind it out game in the half court results in unsuccessful offensive play as defensive game planning has gotten so good that it's difficult to score in the half court if you run your sets. The embracing of playing an up and down game again combined with so many great young point guards is great for the game.

"They don't play defense in the NBA"

Sincerely, every SpadoFS moron who hasn't watched an NBA game in 20 years.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    With the east being so weak it plays right into the Heat's hands to 3-peat.

They can rest Wade and even minimize Lebron's minutes by his standards the first two rounds. They really only need Wade to be Wade for a 14 game stretch is all and he'll be tanned, rested and ready going into the ECF vs the Pacers.

Out west? Houston and the Clippers are nice but it's still coming down to Spurs-OKC don't out think this one.

Spurs have the coaching and depth advantage while OKC has the two best players on the court.

I still like the Heat to win the Finals as Lebron is still the best player in the game. I also think this is the Heat's deepest team they've had as for the first time in the big 3 era they are actually a plus when Lebron isn't on the court(+4) while in years past they were a -5 showing the roster depth has improved.

Michael Beasley was a sneaky good pick up in the offseason as he is a 4 who can actually score and isn't a liability like when they had to go with Haslem/Anthony the previous three years.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Michael Beasley? You're joking right? So in the playoffs, the Eastern Conference Finals and NBA Finals you trust Michael Beasley to be on the floor? Good luck with that.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014

Michael Beasley? You're joking right? So in the playoffs, the Eastern Conference Finals and NBA Finals you trust Michael Beasley to be on the floor? Good luck with that.

I think he was a good pick up. He's certainly a dumbass and an incredibly flawed player who can't do anything but score. He's not a guy you can rely on, but he is capable of coming off the bench and having a big game to help win a game. If he fucks up in his first minute or two of playing time, yank him right away, but he's a great guy to have if Battier goes ice cold like last year or another rotation player gets hurt/fucks up.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Pressing badly.

Beasley won't be counted on at all.

However, he's another bench option for them who is capable of carrying a game. LBJ was great last year vs the Pacers but Haslem in game 3 and 5 was huge.

So was Miller in game 7.