Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We are a safety school

13»

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2021

chuck said:

thechatch said:

Unless Jimmy gets caught offering dead hookers to croots by the NCAA, there is no way UW fires him.

He can coast ten years at U-Dub with 7 and 8 win seasons and occasional 9 win campaign for fucking ever….

If he ever wins ten, he’ll get a lifetime contract. Lmao at his seat getting hot if he doesn’t win 9 next year.

Please.

This season and next will be hard to completely botch. He'll win 9-10 and that will get an extension.

Thats not permanent though. The Ty approach to recruiting that he's taking is going to catch up. He's a way better coach so there's no 0-12 coming, but hovering around .500 and struggling to make pre Christmas bowl games, none of which are likely to exist for much longer, isn't going to keep him employed forever.
    Jimmy's recruiting is annoying but the 3*s he's taking are much better than some of the guys Sark and Ty took. Going around .500 could get him fired, but my concern is he's decent enough to get stuck in the 7-5/8-4 purgatory.

I don't like the Sark comparisons because they aren't that alike as coaches, but I think we'll see similar results once Pete's players graduate.
    That's the real problem. He might be just good enough that he can swim in mediocrity. This is kind of like a NBA franchise in the 90's and early 2000's that hovered around the 5th-8th seed playoff picture. Good enough to compete but not good enough to be elite, and not bad enough to get a franchise changing lottery pick (or in UW's case, a coaching change). This is honestly the most frustrating place to be.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

chuck said:

thechatch said:

Unless Jimmy gets caught offering dead hookers to croots by the NCAA, there is no way UW fires him.

He can coast ten years at U-Dub with 7 and 8 win seasons and occasional 9 win campaign for fucking ever….

If he ever wins ten, he’ll get a lifetime contract. Lmao at his seat getting hot if he doesn’t win 9 next year.

Please.

This season and next will be hard to completely botch. He'll win 9-10 and that will get an extension.

Thats not permanent though. The Ty approach to recruiting that he's taking is going to catch up. He's a way better coach so there's no 0-12 coming, but hovering around .500 and struggling to make pre Christmas bowl games, none of which are likely to exist for much longer, isn't going to keep him employed forever.
    Jimmy's recruiting is annoying but the 3*s he's taking are much better than some of the guys Sark and Ty took. Going around .500 could get him fired, but my concern is he's decent enough to get stuck in the 7-5/8-4 purgatory.

I don't like the Sark comparisons because they aren't that alike as coaches, but I think we'll see similar results once Pete's players graduate.
    Bad recruiting will catch up to us in a few years. That said if we win now, it will start to improve.
    He needs to do both. But he won’t. We are not going to have a top 5 class every year like some tbsr’s want but given the state of the program he inherited they should be top 3 in the conference year in and year out. That just means your are getting a lot of your targets. Right now they are horrible at this.

He can coach better than some in the conference so hopefully he gets his 10 wins the next couple of years and moves on. The admin and fanbase will never put pressure on him.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,637
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

thechatch said:

Please.

Bad recruiting will catch up to us in a few years. That said if we win now, it will start to improve.
    It's hard for me to assume recruiting will improve much with anything less than a natty or quookish natty lite (close loss). Nobody is coming to UW who sees the flashing $$ signs that most of the SEC, Texas, Clemson and tOSU will be flashing. The nation's best coach is already advertising it..."come to bammer, where most of the players take a pay cut on draft day".
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I haven't looked into it but do most first year coaches have a dip in recruiting? I would expect so
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Canadawg said:

I haven't looked into it but do most first year coaches have a dip in recruiting? I would expect so

This isn't a dip it's a crater.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,637
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

No, I don't think so. It depends on how th transition is handled of course, but even that can be overcome. Pete took over very late following a staff that hadn't recruited in months. He still put together a class better than Sark's best at UW.

I've seen other coaches creat an immediate bump. Tedford at Cal is the first one to come to mind. I dont know how the stats shake out but, in higher profile cases and a few lower profile ones at least (like Tedford), recruiting has immediately improved.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,992
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Canadawg said:

If the program is floundering maybe. They had a mediocre year after 3 years of performing near the top of the conference in w/l. So no it should not nosedive like this. If they win 10 games and a ny6 bowl maybe they close strong but not very confident.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Haha fair points all. Trying to make sense of Jimmy. seems like he would be a naturally good recruiter as a HC it's really bizarre. I'm guessing as loyal as he is to his assists he would move on fast if it looks bad on him weather or not his job is at stake