Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Roundball

mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Could someone please explain again how Ro is really a good coach and finishing in the bottom half of the Pac is really good considering no one would want to attend UW vs Utah or Oregon for example and how there's no talent, ever, out of Washington state?

I laughed when he said WSU should keep Bone because Ro often stinks and he never gets fired.

I hate March Madness.

It could be the best time of the year.

Comments

• Options
    mobey said:

Could someone please explain again how Ro is really a good coach and finishing in the bottom half of the Pac is really good considering no one would want to attend UW vs Utah or Oregon for example and how there's no talent, ever, out of Washington state?

I laughed when he said WSU should keep Bone because Ro often stinks and he never gets fired.

I hate March Madness.

BTW Ro is a poor man's Neuheisel.

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I like how now that Arizona is good and UCLA is in 2nd the PAC 12 will all of a sudden get 6 or 7 teams in the dance even though the rest of the PAC is fucking terrible
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    No, it's not explainable or excusable. When thinking about the state of Husky basketball, I can't avoid thinking back to the year when UW was first in conference, lost in the Pac championship tournament, and was not invited to the NCAA's March Madness with 20+ wins. How could that have been due to an off-year in the Pac when the NCAA selection committee always invites a gang of unknown small schools who haven't beaten anybody as 10-12 seed sacrificial lambs? I've always suspected there must be something wrong with Romar as a person to be ignored, disrespected, or unlikeable in his sport. He may be a better than average teacher or mentor and get more out of his players than we should expect, but that can't make up for the fact that he doesn't recruit worth spit.
    Husky basketball could use a complete makeover, but that's not going to happen.
  • Options
    LouieLouieLouieLouie Member Posts: 12
    First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    Tailgater said:

No, it's not explainable or excusable. When thinking about the state of Husky basketball, I can't avoid thinking back to the year when UW was first in conference, lost in the Pac championship tournament, and was not invited to the NCAA's March Madness with 20+ wins. How could that have been due to an off-year in the Pac when the NCAA selection committee always invites a gang of unknown small schools who haven't beaten anybody as 10-12 seed sacrificial lambs? I've always suspected there must be something wrong with Romar as a person to be ignored, disrespected, or unlikeable in his sport. He may be a better than average teacher or mentor and get more out of his players than we should expect, but that can't make up for the fact that he doesn't recruit worth spit.

24 wins. 24. 14-4 in conference.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I honestly don't understand the LoRo hate.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

I honestly don't understand the LoRo hate.

I don't hate Romar. As with all UW coaches, I want them all to succeed in ABUNDANCE, but realize there is an end to everything. Romar is a great Husky. His playing days and coaching record affirm that. His program has flatlined, however. Everything is stale from the style of play, to recruiting, to attendance. I hate to say it because I like Romar, but something has to change. He was criticized before as being the twin coaching brother of Ernie Kent (without the two elite eights) but the comparison is inescapable.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    He isn't going anywhere. He'll win again. Until he does, Romar will catch heat.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

UW basketball in 2014 reminds me of UW football in 1988-89. Back then, Don James was feeling the heat and reconfigured his approach -- with great success. James did not have an unlimited time frame back then to turn things around (turns out he did it starting in 1990). Romar, as awesome a Husky as he is, should not have a lot of time either. Win or GTFO. Simple fact, even for a UW Hall of Famer, or at least it should be.

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Romar needs to stay in the program, but quit as the coach. He's a husky. But his time has run the course. I wish Tony Bennett would consider UW. Tho i highly doubt he would.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Tailgater said:

24 wins. 24. 14-4 in conference.
    Most of that team knew that the first round game against OSU was a must win. Lets face it. Any team that lost to OSU in a must win game that year didn't deserve to be in the tournament.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

UW basketball in 2014 reminds me of UW football in 1988-89. Back then, Don James was feeling the heat and reconfigured his approach -- with great success. James did not have an unlimited time frame back then to turn things around (turns out he did it starting in 1990). Romar, as awesome a Husky as he is, should not have a lot of time either. Win or GTFO. Simple fact, even for a UW Hall of Famer, or at least it should be.

If Don James was feeling any heat in 1988-89, it was heat he was putting on himself to recruit better and take his program the next step. If you don't believe this, take a look at the recruiting classes of 1987,1988, and 1989. You'll see some familiar legendary Husky names coming to UW as freshmen in those years as the Dawgfather was building the core of the 1990 and 1991 teams that won two Rose Bowls and an NC with an undefeated season:

1987 Class: Ed Cunningham; William Doctor: Chico Fraley; Dana Hall; Donald Jones; Greg Lewis; Siupeli Malamala; Aaron Pierce; Kris Rongen

1988 Class: Mario Bailey; Walter Bailey; Mark Brunell; James Clifford; Steve Emtman; Jaime Fields; Dave Hoffman; Lincoln Kennedy; Orlando McKay; Darius Turner

1989 Class: Beno Bryant; D'Marco Farr; Jamal Fountaine; Billy Joe Hobert; Pete Kaligis; Joe Kralik; Andy Mason; Shane Pahukoa; Pete Pierson; Tommie Smith

With a couple of exceptions, we didn't see these kids in Husky Stadium for a year or two because of DJ's policy of redshirting nearly all freshmen, but if you went to practices as I occasionally did, it was impossible to not see what was being built. DJ during the 1980's was never in trouble except with the media who wanted a more pass happy coogloser motif in Purple and Gold. Apparantly there are some who still confuse media hate for the Dawgfather with heat, but attendance at home and away games remained robust and most of us paying customers knew that our coach wanted his program to get better. We believed he would do just that as he did and the rest is history.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think you are right. I have a hard time believing NWG won't lead a team to a couple of NCAA berths. I still think a real program would fire Romar and try to strike it big with a new coach.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Romar is doing well enough to satisfy Doogs like Fain, Elise etc. They'll point to 2004-2011 until they have a 12-18 type season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

Romar is doing well enough to satisfy Doogs like Fain, Elise etc. They'll point to 2004-2011 until they have a 12-18 type season.

Don't take much to satisfy those Doogs. Just once I'd like to see either of those two critique a current UW coach who is under performing.

Both are worthless cunts and I still remember their defending of Ty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    dnc said:

mobey said:

mobey said:

I hate March Madness.

BTW Ro is a poor man's Neuheisel Riley.

Disagree DNC and I never agreed with that comparison. Talk to me when Riley produces a conference championship season.

Romar is Tedford/Bellotti.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    I support coach Romar.
  • Options
    Roma is not DJ. Ro has never been to an elite 8 and hasn't been to S16 for a long time. DJ had already won a NC if not for the BYU screw job.

And sorry, Ro may be a lot of good things but "coach" is not one of them. He had Ross, Wroten and Wilcox on the same team - three NBA players - and couldn't even make the Dance?

No. Not good coaching.