Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Watch out for Fresno State QB Jake Haener in 2022

Jake Haener, QB, Fresno State 4th Year Senior, 2nd Year Starter 6'1", 194 lbs, 23 yrs*

Games watched: CSU, USU, NEV, UNM (4/6) Best Game: Utah St Worst Game: New Mexico

Jake Haener is far from perfect, but at this point I would be quite surprised if he didn't go on day 1 or 2 next year. Unfortunately there is no film available from his worst game of the season against Hawaii.

Pros:

-Has a solid arm; around league average for the NFL. Doesn't have issues putting zip on the ball.

-Very athletic. Excellent top speed, dangerous acceleration and dynamic agility in the pocket.

-Very accurate. Generally good accuracy throwing short, and is especially good in the 20-40 yard range. Makes every type of throw.

-Has potentially elite arm talent. Makes more big time throws than any other QB in the class other than Rattler and maybe Howell. Has a fantastic seam ball, and can make beautiful intermediate throws on the run.

-And he does throw really well on the run; isn't remotely afraid of it.

-Usually throws well under pressure and doesn't worry about getting hit. After a long game he starts to get jittery and bail out mid throw sometimes, but he gets a lot, so this isn't all that concerning.

-Does a good job of protecting the football. Goes through progressions with little issue. Has a strong football IQ for a first year starter.

-Breaks sacks at a decent level and runs with far more power than someone of his size normally would. Literally trucked a linebacker; he plays like 215 pound guy.

-Definitely has the "it" factor.

Cons:

-Footwork tends to be all over the place.

-Lacks poise in the pocket; gets really sloppy and takes unnecessary sacks and doesn't escape as much as someone with his footspeed should. Bails out of clean pockets more than is ideal, but he plays behind a seriously terrible O-line, so I have faith this can be resolved.

-Got seriously rattled against New Mexico when they sent frequent blitzes. Looked paranoid, made bad decisions and got less accurate after being sacked 8 times and roughed 3. Arm talent still showed up though as his last throw of the game was a perfectly placed 35 yard strike for a TD in (essentially) garbage time.

-Isn't dangerous at all when scrambling; just goes down when he doesn't have grass in front of him.

-Doesn't throw it deep much, and looks only okay when he does.

-Really seems to lack game feel sometimes.

Concerns:

-He's 6'1", 194. That is extremely light for a QB. And seeing him get banged against UNM on a hit to the ankle makes me worry even more.

-He's currently only logged 1 year as a starter, and he only played 6 games. This is a very limited sample size. He also didn't develop heavily, with his best games coming in the middle. It should also be mentioned that he could develop at an above average next year because of this lack of starting though.

-Got lots of easy throws due to heavy utilization of 5 wide sets, although after all the big time throws he made I'm only worried about his ability to make plus throws on a down to down basis, which he doesn't usually have to do.

Right now I have him as a fringe first rounder. The arm talent he consistently displays combined with arm strength, mobility and football IQ leave me no other choice. He certainly has a lot to prove next year, but all of his playmakers are still around. Nothing is guaranteed, but this is a guy with almost Rattler level arm talent that pretty much no one is talking about. Let me know what you think below.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    I've been on Team Haener since Day 1

(Cue the Cal interception gif)
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter

I forgot why I.hated him and just knew that I did indeed hate him. Your cal comment was a great reminder.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,176
    Who wrote that crap? Day 1 or 2 pick? LMAO. Will not even be drafted.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,089

Huh?

I still like the pass he threw before this where he tried to bounce it off the ground. I don’t know more QBs don’t use the bounce pass.
    I was there. Started singing the Cal fight song after this play.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    Haener legit had a chance to unseat a 4 year starter

Did NOT rise to the occasion
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Who wrote that crap? Day 1 or 2 pick? LMAO. Will not even be drafted.

Not even the biggest Fresno State Bulldoog would write that shit. Undersized QB playing at a mid major with literally nothing exceptional about his game. Will be lucky if he makes a practice sqwad.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Kudos for never forgetting to remind us of the times you were wrong
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,422 Founders Club
    edited June 2021

Kudos for never forgetting to remind us of the times you were wrong
    the jury's still out
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,137
    chuck said:

Haener's arm is surprisingly not weak. He is surprisingly not weak as a runner. His shitty running might fool you but he's actually pretty fast. His pocket presence is horrible but he's surprisingly football savvy He is surprisingly good except for all the shitty things about him.

Diagnosis...first rounder.

I am still trying to figure out how and when Pup stole DJ's login.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,526 Swaye's Wigwam
    Every time I read this thread title, I immediately look around because I expect one of his passes to hit me in the chest really hard. I am wearing a different color shirt than him, after all.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,717

Huh?

Superior culture.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,987 Founders Club
    Mom is looking hotter than ever.