Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

We need a general tweet of the day thread

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,770
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2022

Is the goal here to destroy all sports competitions, starting with the ones that draw little to no crowds, then moving up the ladder until they collapse the NFL and NBA?

Or what? This shit makes no fucking sense otherwise.
    You will be made to approve, endorse and participate. NFL clearly is a toxic testosterone sport and therefore must be dismantled.
    Reruns of the Love Boat on over-the-air TV are more entertaining than most sports, especially soccer. Yuk!

Great game to play, but maybe the worst game to watch, ever.

Worse than men's figure skating.

And I'm not even gay!

NTTAWWIT, of course.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Good thing they’re building everything earthquake proof.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,153
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    hardhat said:
    Gets a lot of MSM publicity for something that is at best decades away from production. On Fox 12 this morning they had some moron tell us that fusion could now be a decade away from utility scale electrical production. Geezus. My feeling is that the greens are going to us this to not build fission nuke reactors because we just need to wait a little longer for a fusion reactor.

https://instapundit.com/558543/#respond

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,207
    Swaye's Wigwam
    None of the miracle answers can scale

That's been my argument. If or when they can you won't need the government or Greta to force you to use it

At least the EV crowd gave Elon the money to buy twitter
  • Options
    hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343

hardhat said:
    Gets a lot of MSM publicity for something that is at best decades away from production. On Fox 12 this morning they had some moron tell us that fusion could now be a decade away from utility scale electrical production. Geezus. My feeling is that the greens are going to us this to not build fission nuke reactors because we just need to wait a little longer for a fusion reactor.

They're hyping up all of their 'solutions' and 'breakthroughs' for the clicks. The sad fact is that as of now, you need a steady source of energy (most likely natural gas) to fire up these so-called miracle technologies. Nothing wrong with working on them, of course. But we are far away from relying on them. And wind and solar work in only certain places.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    hardhat said:

hardhat said:

They're hyping up all of their 'solutions' and 'breakthroughs' for the clicks. The sad fact is that as of now, you need a steady source of energy (most likely natural gas) to fire up these so-called miracle technologies. Nothing wrong with working on them, of course. But we are far away from relying on them. And wind and solar work in only certain places.
    I'm not sure that large utility scale wind and solar pencil out anywhere. If there were no government credits and no state mandates for using wind and solar, then we wouldn't need to be concerned about whether they work in certain places. A lot of those prospective "certain places" are in the middle of nowhere. Then you need to factor in super expensive new transmission to get the power from certain places to population centers.

In certain places, small solar pencils. Like a microwave or cell tower on a high mountain or hill with no electrical. Running an electric circuit up the side of the mountain is expensive. Solar panels and a battery then makes sense.
  • Options

hardhat said:

hardhat said:

I'm not sure that large utility scale wind and solar pencil out anywhere. If there were no government credits and no state mandates for using wind and solar, then we wouldn't need to be concerned about whether they work in certain places. A lot of those prospective "certain places" are in the middle of nowhere. Then you need to factor in super expensive new transmission to get the power from certain places to population centers.

In certain places, small solar pencils. Like a microwave or cell tower on a high mountain or hill with no electrical. Running an electric circuit up the side of the mountain is expensive. Solar panels and a battery then makes sense.
    Pattern Energy has some wind projects near the continental divide that are paying off. It's just not something that is going to work everywhere, just like solar, just like geothermal energy, just like hydro. But the main point is that wind and solar are intermittent and dependent on the weather and geography.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

That's been my argument. If or when they can you won't need the government or Greta to force you to use it

I'm comfortable in my hypocrisy in government cash being dumped on fusion research. I think it will work, sometim, and the dividends will be yuge.

While I don't see it as much anymore, a libertarian argument against conventional nuclear (how's that for a contradiction in terms) power was the massive subsidies required. Part of that is baked in by the gubment regulatory process, but there's a lot of truth to it. However, pragmatically speaking, I think some degree of government involved in power generation is given, sadly, so I'd rather it be directed to shit that actually works.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    hardhat said:

hardhat said:

hardhat said:

Pattern Energy has some wind projects near the continental divide that are paying off. It's just not something that is going to work everywhere, just like solar, just like geothermal energy, just like hydro. But the main point is that wind and solar are intermittent and dependent on the weather and geography.
    Define "paying off". I'll bet "paying off" includes the massive wind energy credit and a required purchase by a utility under a state energy mandate that artificially increases the price of the produced energy. With hundreds of billions of dollars in energy credits and purchase mandates, lots of people are being paid off, from millionaire Iowa corn farmers, Archer Daniel Midlands, turbine and solar manufacturers (both domestic and chinese) construction firms et al. Who isn't being paid off are taxpayers and electricity customers. The renewable industry is the very definition of crony capitalism. Definitely paying off for Warren Buffet.

From the Berkshire Hathaway 10-K for 2021. $1.9 billion in US energy tax credits.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,207
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm comfortable in my hypocrisy in government cash being dumped on fusion research. I think it will work, sometim, and the dividends will be yuge.

While I don't see it as much anymore, a libertarian argument against conventional nuclear (how's that for a contradiction in terms) power was the massive subsidies required. Part of that is baked in by the gubment regulatory process, but there's a lot of truth to it. However, pragmatically speaking, I think some degree of government involved in power generation is given, sadly, so I'd rather it be directed to shit that actually works.
    If fusion works the government should get paid back because its the trillion dollar unicorn

OTOH if it works and you can power your home for hundreds of years on a cup full of hydrogen where's the pay off?

Nuclear power in the 70s like WPPS was a massive boondoggle. But the greens will always insist that it be so because they want the oversight

I'm not against fed funding of fusion. I'm against stupid deadlines on gas cars and the destruction of current working energy teach like carbon
  • Options

hardhat said:

hardhat said:

hardhat said:

Define "paying off". I'll bet "paying off" includes the massive wind energy credit and a required purchase by a utility under a state energy mandate that artificially increases the price of the produced energy. With hundreds of billions of dollars in energy credits and purchase mandates, lots of people are being paid off, from millionaire Iowa corn farmers, Archer Daniel Midlands, turbine and solar manufacturers (both domestic and chinese) construction firms et al. Who isn't being paid off are taxpayers and electricity customers. The renewable industry is the very definition of crony capitalism. Definitely paying off for Warren Buffet.

From the Berkshire Hathaway 10-K for 2021. $1.9 billion in US energy tax credits.

@WestlinnDuck I can send you a PM later. From what I have heard they have contracts with manufacturers, not sure if it's all just based on government subsidies. I can find out more.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Lot's of shootings and deaths and a fatal stabbing in the Portland Metro area. This is how you take care of the problem FAFO indeed.