Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Robinhood and cryptocoin question?

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
After Reddit rebellion w/ Gamestop and AMC it has come out that w/ out the capital raise of 3B Robinhood was on it's way to donzo.

I know stocks are protected in that scenario, but what about people who have cryptocurrency with them? What would have happened with their positions?

I feel like the dumbest person in the world with crypto, and will be asking more about it later.

2 trillion says it's here to stay, but on every other metric this looks like the tulip/every other bubble that blows up.

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Where is donzo?
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    Swaye's Wigwam
    sorry trying to be funny. donzo meant insolvent, bankrupt, etc.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    godawgst said:

After Reddit rebellion w/ Gamestop and AMC it has come out that w/ out the capital raise of 3B Robinhood was on it's way to donzo.

I know stocks are protected in that scenario, but what about people who have cryptocurrency with them? What would have happened with their positions?

I feel like the dumbest person in the world with crypto, and will be asking more about it later.

2 trillion says it's here to stay, but on every other metric this looks like the tulip/every other bubble that blows up.

All I know is that brokerage clients have a beneficial ownership interest in the assets in their accounts. Legally it is a contract between you and the brokerage firm. How that looks in banko I do not know.

Why would crypto be different than the stock or ETF positions? Showing my ignance here.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2021
    I might be wrong, but I think the problem Robinhood had was with all of the margin bets on Gamestop and AMC. Robinhood doesn't let you trade crypto through margins, so I don't think that is actually a problem. The bigger issue is if their servers can handle the overload of purchases we are going to be seeing tomorrow. I guess 4/20 is a big event for this coin. People are wanting to load on it tomorrow. It could get a little crazy

I am not a financial smart by any stretch of the imagination, but I will be rather surprised if Dogecoin doesn't hit .50 tomorrow. Because I saying that, it's probably best to sell your position now, because I kind of the village idiot on these kinds of things. But I put some fuck it money in it to see what happens tomorrow.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,467
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I use robinhood for crypto and that's it

I made great money on GME but it couldve been more if robinhood wasnt Citadel's bitch.
    edited April 2021

I made great money on GME but it couldve been more if robinhood wasnt Citadel's bitch.

Robinhood is great for crypto day trading. Smaller selection, but it's free. It isn't hard at all to make 4-5% day if you're active. And it if you press your position, it's growing exponentially.
  • SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Robinhood is great for crypto day trading. Smaller selection, but it's free. It isn't hard at all to make 4-5% day if you're active. And it if you press your position, it's growing exponentially.
    I disagree to the extent that while there are no transaction fees, the fills are awful. The volatility of crypto still makes it workable, but I'd rather use a better broker.
  • BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322
    Using Robinhood for crypto is one of the dumbest things you could ever do. The whole point of crypto is that you have the ability to easily self-custody. Robinhood doesn't allow you to actually withdraw your crypto, which means they may not even have the crypto you think you just bought. At least on Coinbase and the others, you can buy it and leave it on there while you learn how to self custody.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Using Robinhood for crypto is one of the dumbest things you could ever do. The whole point of crypto is that you have the ability to easily self-custody. Robinhood doesn't allow you to actually withdraw your crypto, which means they may not even have the crypto you think you just bought. At least on Coinbase and the others, you can buy it and leave it on there while you learn how to self custody.

Good to know. I’m a noob to all this. Is cashapp the same way?
  • BuffBuffPassBuffBuffPass Member Posts: 322

Good to know. I’m a noob to all this. Is cashapp the same way?
    Nope. Jack Dorsey is a Bitcoiner (a true believer, not someone looking just to make a quick buck) and wouldn't do that.

Who cares if your trades last for only a few hours?
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2021

RH is rolling out wallets within 6 months. I think it depends on your horizon, too. If you’re short term, rh is fine. Long term, you want it in an external wallet.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Check out Exodus - upcoming IPO for wallets.

Most importantly - joobs are not to be fucked with.