Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Serious Question for the Serious Board

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited March 2021

Who here has invested in art as a way to both diversify your risk and also enjoy your investment while you have it?

I'm considering it.

:#

I wouldn’t. It’s once of the most illiquid assets around.

This is not to say don’t buy art...absolutely do! But buy it because you love the piece.

If you do want to get serious about it, treat it as a long term venture. You’ll need to start doing lots of research into it: what styles do you gravitate towards? Are you into sculpture or paintings? Also learn the terminology.

Once you know what you like you’ll want to start going to exhibit openings, auctions, art fairs. Then make relationships with galleries, dealers, and if at all possible, the artists themselves.

Oh, and if you buy something for the long haul, be prepared to take of it. It will need to dusted/handled/displayed carefully.
    True enough about liquidity. Stipulated. But you can always sell the right art. Not quickly, but you can sell it. The idea is a unique diversification that I understand. I don't understand crypto, and it has limited history. Art has held value for eons. It was no random hobby that inspired the Nazis pilfered France of great art and tried to keep it as they retreated.

Yes, all those points are good ones. You have to go through a rigorous authentication process, and you have to have someone on your side. I posted about this a couple months ago. I have a contact in Boston who knows this shit and has invested herself. Her access includes, among other big names, varied works by Chagall, which really can range in price depending on what you get. But you're going to spend a lot of $$ even for a lower-end piece. I break it down like this:

Good: the value increase has been steady and there's no reason to think that will change (he's been dead for a while now); I like his work; I can look at it and enjoy it during the investment period.

Bad: I will likely overpay, as the market for fine art is inefficient; I will have to make arrangements to really secure my house, I'll have to add a rider to my homeowners, I will have to get some kind of safe or something in my house so I can go on vacation and not worry about it and I will have to lie to my friends and say it's a fake; and, lastly, to your point, I can never use it for "need money fast" or I will take a bath.

Art is a legitimate alternative. I mean, when you stop and think about it, it is AT LEAST as rational as buying a metal brick.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,217
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Who here has invested in art as a way to both diversify your risk and also enjoy your investment while you have it?

I'm considering it.

This is not to say don’t buy art...absolutely do! But buy it because you love the piece.

If you do want to get serious about it, treat it as a long term venture. You’ll need to start doing lots of research into it: what styles do you gravitate towards? Are you into sculpture or paintings? Also learn the terminology.

Once you know what you like you’ll want to start going to exhibit openings, auctions, art fairs. Then make relationships with galleries, dealers, and if at all possible, the artists themselves.

Oh, and if you buy something for the long haul, be prepared to take of it. It will need to dusted/handled/displayed carefully.

Well this NFT gem brought $130,000 and it's on the blockchain. So....

If a blockchain impressionist master isn't your speed you could have this self portrait, blockchain's own Vincent Van Go

Open your mind woman!
    So I'm busting my ass here for like two months trying to breathe life into you're board, and THIS is what brings you back?

I now hate you as much as you hate me. 7-11, Sunday evening. You know which one. And don't be a no-show like four eyes in the Tug. I know how to drive to Tacoma.

I create and then lose interest and wander away and somebody else gets the glory. Podcasts, new boreds, inside dope on team and recruiting and you have the audacity to invent this imaginary feud?

Congrats on your free ride on my coattails.

Fixed that for you
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Jimminny Christmas.

Severely underused and underrated exclamation.

Kudos.
  • Options

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

I'm considering it.

If a blockchain impressionist master isn't your speed you could have this self portrait, blockchain's own Vincent Van Go

Open your mind woman!
    So I'm busting my ass here for like two months trying to breathe life into you're board, and THIS is what brings you back?

I now hate you as much as you hate me. 7-11, Sunday evening. You know which one. And don't be a no-show like four eyes in the Tug. I know how to drive to Tacoma.

I create and then lose interest and wander away and somebody else gets the glory. Podcasts, new boreds, inside dope on team and recruiting and you have the audacity to invent this imaginary feud?

Fixed that for you
    I've been playing that "you hate me" malarkey with him for years and (1) he's too fucking stupid to get it, (2) he takes himself so fucking seriously that he can't be bothered to trade a little humorous shit talk (i.e., no sense of humor) or (3) he's just a fucking lightweight. I'm going with abundance.

But the Lulz of the week was the "I had a few days to kill" line. Nuclear Lulz. Thanks for taking time out of your busy life Elon. What a fucking ego on this dude. "I create". More Lulz.

Our Floundering Father making an ass of himself in his old neighborhood.

@Baseman
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

I'm considering it.

Open your mind woman!

Fixed that for you
    I've been playing that "you hate me" malarkey with him for years and (1) he's too fucking stupid to get it, (2) he takes himself so fucking seriously that he can't be bothered to trade a little humorous shit talk (i.e., no sense of humor) or (3) he's just a fucking lightweight. I'm going with abundance.

But the Lulz of the week was the "I had a few days to kill" line. Nuclear Lulz. Thanks for taking time out of your busy life Elon. What a fucking ego on this dude. "I create". More Lulz.

@Baseman
    @MikeSeaver
  • Options

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

I'm considering it.

Open your mind woman!

Fixed that for you

@Baseman
    @MikeSeaver
    @MikeSeaver doesn't care about this malarkey.
  • Options

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

I'm considering it.

Open your mind woman!

Fixed that for you

@Baseman
    @MikeSeaver
    @MikeSeaver doesn't care about this malarkey.
    So quit bothering @MikeSeaver

@RaceBannon
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

This internet dick measuring contest bores me.

I've certainly been embroiled in such contests, as you well know. ;)

But not today. This bore walks away from his own idea and casually swings around out of nowhere (with a few days to kill, lolz), drops three third-person referenced posts on successful stock picks (a limitation of his intellectual interests that caused this board to be a mausoleum in the first place), immediately bleeds out in response to some good natured ribbing from yours truly, and then makes clear why he was here in the first place, which I guess was to name drop his new stock pick pay board ... or whatever.

And @NorthwestFresh , RIP, used to say I'm arrogant. Jimminny Christmas.
    What happened to him?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,687
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

But not today. This bore walks away from his own idea and casually swings around out of nowhere (with a few days to kill, lolz), drops three third-person referenced posts on successful stock picks (a limitation of his intellectual interests that caused this board to be a mausoleum in the first place), immediately bleeds out in response to some good natured ribbing from yours truly, and then makes clear why he was here in the first place, which I guess was to name drop his new stock pick pay board ... or whatever.

What happened to him?
    He was posting some very, very inappropriate pictures.
  • Options

ntxduck said:

What happened to him?
    So he was a libertarian after all
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

What happened to him?
    That's one word for it. Others would say pedophile.
  • Options

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

What happened to him?
    That's one word for it. Others would say pedophile.
    In colorado they’re the same thing. There’s a reason that eliminating/lowering age of consent laws is always in their top 3 priorities
  • Options

ntxduck said:

What happened to him?
    Point of technical clarification: the pictures put him on double secret probation. Then something else happened, I forget ... I think it was some @brents stuff (RIP), and the proverbial straw then broke the camel's back.

There aren't a lot of rules in Fight Club. You can say "fuck you" any one of a million ways, and you can do it incessantly without adding any value ever, and Stalin will leave you be. But some super low threshold-level of emotional restraint is required. I've noticed that it's the guys who just can't pull that off are who tend to get bounced. I'm still shocked when anyone finally reaches Stalin's breaking point. You almost have to try to do it. My view on it is, if @creepycoug is still here after all this time, you need a long walk on the beach and time in front of the mirror, or outright cognitive behavioral therapy, or abundance, if you can't manage to stay in good standing here.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,933

ntxduck said:

What happened to him?
    Point of technical clarification: the pictures put him on double secret probation. Then something else happened, I forget ... I think it was some @brents stuff (RIP), and the proverbial straw then broke the camel's back.

There aren't a lot of rules in Fight Club. You can say "fuck you" any one of a million ways, and you can do it incessantly without adding any value ever, and Stalin will leave you be. But some super low threshold-level of emotional restraint is required. I've noticed that it's the guys who just can't pull that off are who tend to get bounced. I'm still shocked when anyone finally reaches Stalin's breaking point. You almost have to try to do it. My view on it is, if @creepycoug is still here after all this time, you need a long walk on the beach and time in front of the mirror, or outright cognitive behavioral therapy, or abundance, if you can't manage to stay in good standing here.
    Fine Sir, @creepycoug

Go Fucketh thyself.

#classy.

• Options

ntxduck said:

What happened to him?

Fine Sir, @creepycoug

Go Fucketh thyself.

#classy.

Nebraska Classy.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Consider comic books. They’re art. They don’t decline in value, at least the right ones don’t. They’re actually more of an investment vehicle for the well off than they are for sweaty nerds to stare at. Although they play a part in market equilibrium and some sweaty nerds are also well off.

Very liquid. Physically small. If so inclined they make excellent decorations in their air proof glass cases. I had never cared for comic books because I grew up in an era that had cable TV and video games, plus I liked sports and had human non make believe friends.

I’m actually a big art guy, but the valuation of art that you or I could afford is not a sound investment. Comics on the other hand are very sensical. It didn’t take me long to figure it out. There’s a system, there are universally agreed upon prices, and even turds no one wants contain some value. The big drawback is that condition is 95% of value and those things are fragile. Like Noah Sewell, but they don’t get back up. Some creasing can make a five or six figure difference. Whether you’re storing them in a safe or displaying them you won’t be handling them, just something to keep in mind.

Here’s a few of mine. Not my most valuable or graded, although some are fairly rare, but I’m curious if this will elicit a “take it to the tug” since 1940s comics are incredibly racist. I am serious about the comics as an art investment though.

• Options

Consider comic books. They’re art. They don’t decline in value, at least the right ones don’t. They’re actually more of an investment vehicle for the well off than they are for sweaty nerds to stare at. Although they play a part in market equilibrium and some sweaty nerds are also well off.

Very liquid. Physically small. If so inclined they make excellent decorations in their air proof glass cases. I had never cared for comic books because I grew up in an era that had cable TV and video games, plus I liked sports and had human non make believe friends.

I’m actually a big art guy, but the valuation of art that you or I could afford is not a sound investment. Comics on the other hand are very sensical. It didn’t take me long to figure it out. There’s a system, there are universally agreed upon prices, and even turds no one wants contain some value. The big drawback is that condition is 95% of value and those things are fragile. Like Noah Sewell, but they don’t get back up. Some creasing can make a five or six figure difference. Whether you’re storing them in a safe or displaying them you won’t be handling them, just something to keep in mind.

Here’s a few of mine. Not my most valuable or graded, although some are fairly rare, but I’m curious if this will elicit a “take it to the tug” since 1940s comics are incredibly racist. I am serious about the comics as an art investment though.

Chintresting. I'm going to do some research on this over the weekend and get back to you with some follow-up. Thanks for the tip.

PS: Are you sure it makes nice wall hangings?

PSS: You can buy a Chagall signed original etching and even an original drawing in the $40,000 to $60,000 range. But yeah, you're normally going to go into north of a hundy. It's not like buying the super duper rare and old stuff that goes in the millions. Some Chagalls go for that much. But he produced a fair amount of work and he's not been dead for 200 years.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,841
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I've been in homes where single pieces of art are worth multiples of the home. 8-figure homes.

Seems like an Uber-elite game to me. But what do I know.