Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Grade the position groups... reasonable expectations for next year

Jimmy's tenure so far has been a complete kick in the balls to any fan with remotely high expectations. Despite all of Jimmy's head-scratcher decisions he's currently set up to have maybe the most talented team in the conference with a very, very manageable schedule for 2021. Below I graded out the position groups and the offense and defense in general. My god, having a let down season with this roster would have to be one of the worst coaching failures in Husky history.

OFFENSE: B+
QB: B Yeah he doesn’t have the strongest arm and he’s not the most athletic guy but he actually has some pocket presence and showed that he doesn’t wilt under pressure.
Rotation: Morris

RB: C+/B- I don’t like how many guys we have in the rotation but all of them are solid and have game experience. Pleasant and McGrew are gone after this year so start thinking about the future and get Davis, the player who you’ll need to lean on going forward and the player with the highest ceiling, the most touches out of that group.
Rotation: McGrew, Pleasant, Cam Davis

OL: A The deepest position group on the team. One thing I worry about is with guys like Kirkland and Wattenburg coming back that some of the younger players lose out on reps that they should be getting had Kirkland and Wattenburg left for the NFL. Fautanu and Murao are two of the more impressive recruits we’ve gotten in the past 15-20 years and they need to play. Huff is going to have some delicate roster management issues to deal with.
Rotation: Kirkland, Ale, Wattenburg, Bainavalu, Curne, Fautanu, Murao

WR/TE: B+ With Puka this position group moves up to an A. McMillan and Odunze are as advertised athletically but dropped too many passes last year. The Texas Tech transfer Polk had a productive freshman year and is the most physically imposing of all our receivers. Otton is a beast.
WR Rotation: Bynum, Polk, Odunze, McMillan
TE Rotation: Otton, Westover, Culp, Redman

DEFENSE: B+
DL: B My suspicion is that this group finishes the season higher than a B but there is a lot of unproven talent that will be playing for the first time this year. If Tuli can stay healthy I think he proves to be as good as Levi or Gaines at the nose tackle spot. Tuitele and Bandes were elite recruits with tons of potential. Taimani played decent last year but has a lot to prove.
Rotation: Tuli, Taimani, Bandes, Tuitele

ILB: B This position group should be higher but Bob can’t find someone to play opposite of Ulofoshio. Despite Sirmon being very average none of the big name recruits have been able to break through. There’s plenty of talent on the roster who should be able to fill that spot but Bob always seems to fuck up the roster management.
Rotation: Ulofoshio, Sirmon, Tuputala, Heimuli, Calvert

OLB: A This is the most talent we’ve had at this position in the last 15 years or so. If ZTF can become more than just a pass rusher then he’s a first or second team All American candidate. As good as ZTF is Latu was the guy who was getting all the hype last fall before his injury. Bowman is solid and Smalls and McDonald both played well last year as true freshman.
Rotation: ZTF, Latu, Bowman, Smalls, McDonald

Secondary: B This position group not being rated higher is a huge indictment on the coaching staff given how much talent is on the roster. McDuffie is a legit superstar but behind him are a bunch of guys who haven’t lived up to the hype.
Rotation: McDuffie, Kyler Gordon, Cam Williams, Asa Turner, Alex Cook, Dom Hampton, Jacobe Covington, Julius Irvin

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,792
    So you’re thinking 8-4 or 7-5?
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,671 Standard Supporter
    The RBs will be great if the OL can run block. They were good in Pass blocking but kind of crap on the runs.

But then I am an idiot and usually drunk by the end of the game so am not really sure what I saw
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

Someone will need to step up
    DB
    RB

Imo RB position will determine UWs success this year. We will have 7 scholarship RBs. Find one or two that can get the job done. If we run out that Mickey Mouse JV everyone gets a turn bullshit, we're not gonna be successful

RB really needs two guys to get 90% of the carries. McGrew should probably be one of them. Develop the other guy.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,072 Founders Club
    I don’t understand what is happening.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,055
    What’s with Rosengarden?

No snaps in year 2? Wanted that meathead badly in Eugene when he was a croot....
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    thechatch said:

What’s with Rosengarden?

No snaps in year 2? Wanted that meathead badly in Eugene when he was a croot....

I've heard he will start at LT. He was a 4* recruit with an amazing HUDL. Our returning left tackle was only a 3* and his HUDL wasn't as impressive
  • louism2washlouism2wash Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2021
    thechatch said:

What’s with Rosengarden?

He's a redshirt freshman this year with 3 guys(Kirkland, Fautanu and Kalepo) in front of him.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

What’s with Rosengarden?

Rosengarten is a stud but came in weighing like 275 or less. Teams with desperately thin OL rooms play guys like him in year two. He was never going to be a second year contributor.

UW has recruited a lot of tackles since Huff has been here.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,854

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

Imo RB position will determine UWs success this year. We will have 7 scholarship RBs. Find one or two that can get the job done. If we run out that Mickey Mouse JV everyone gets a turn bullshit, we're not gonna be successful

Running backs don’t matter, yards created by an average back vs an elite one is minimal. It’s great to a have good one though. Our entire season hinges on the development of the IDL and John Donovan/QB situation.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

Running backs don’t matter, yards created by an average back vs an elite one is minimal. It’s great to a have good one though. Our entire season hinges on the development of the IDL and John Donovan/QB situation.
    The qb situation is one of the least of my worries. It will either be an improved Morris or a 5* true freshman. Whoever it is between those two, they will struggle in this offense if we can't get a consistent running game going.

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

Imo RB position will determine UWs success this year. We l have 7 scholarship RBs. Find one or two that can get the job done. If we run out that Mickey Mouse JV everyone gets a turn bullshit, we're not gonna be successful

I think the RBs are a minimal concern. It would be nice to have someone who could create and make some plays when they shouldn't. I miss Polk-Sankey-Gaskin. The value of guys like that shouldn't be dismissed, but then again they shouldn't be necessary if the other positions, scheme, and play calling are good.
  • LB_33LB_33 Member Posts: 323
    Make any argument you want, but what we? saw out of Morris last year was... underwhelming? average? complacent due to the offense? Either way a 60% completion rate and a 4:3 TD to INT ratio doesn't give me a ton of confidence. It screams average. So we must pray to the holiest of holies, the poontang pie in the sky, that the running backs find a hoss or two to carry the offense. And when those prayers are answered with soiled disappointment, we get... 7-5.
    LB_33 said:

Make any argument you want, but what we? saw out of Morris last year was... underwhelming? average? complacent due to the offense? Either way a 60% completion rate and a 4:3 TD to INT ratio doesn't give me a ton of confidence. It screams average. So we must pray to the holiest of holies, the poontang pie in the sky, that the running backs find a hoss or two to carry the offense. And when those prayers are answered with soiled disappointment, we get... 7-5.

He was pretty damn good considering he was. RS freshman operating a new offense. There were multiple, huge drops that directly hurt his stats but also took the ball out of his hands and limited opportunities to put up more stats.

Like others I'm not worried about QB. I like Morris and love Huard. If Huard beats him out then my expectations are extremely high for him.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,854
    edited March 2021

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

The qb situation is one of the least of my worries. It will either be an improved Morris or a 5* true freshman. Whoever it is between those two, they will struggle in this offense if we can't get a consistent running game going.
    Morris lol.

OL play and OC scheme/play sequencing is a much better indicator of how successful you are in the run game. The OL is the least of my worries. John Don’s insist on running tight formations (i-form) and running the ball into stacked boxes has me extremely worried.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,545 Swaye's Wigwam

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

How in the world could you watch Myles Gaskin play for UW for four years and still come to this conclusion?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter
    edited March 2021

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

How in the world could you watch Myles Gaskin play for UW for four years and still come to this conclusion?
    Fudgie likes WRs. Weº all got our thing I suppose.

Excellent
    OL
    TE
    OLB

Should be fine
    QB
    WR
    DL
    ILB

DB
    RB

Well he is correct that you don't need anyone special at running back in a good offense. Timely calls and solid blocking can all but guarantee 5-6 ypc.

What he is discounting is how often a great back can save your ass. If UW hadn't had guys as good as Sankey and Gaskin the running game would have taken. Big step back under both Sark and Pete. The blocking and play calling just weren't great on their own.

So far they're not with Lake and Co either.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723
    RBs have low value in the NFL but high value in college.

The first reason is that you can ride a good #1 back hard in the college run game. A guy like Sankey posted multiple 25+ carry games whereas you won't see that in the pros. Reason: injuries, wear and tear.

A very good RB adds more value than a very good WR in college. Because the QB can't fuck up the opportunities for a very good RB but he can for a WR.

UW cruises to an undefeated season if they have Jermar Jefferson last year.