Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tweet Of The Day - but it’s damn good

2»

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,384
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    HuskyJW said:

It will lift no one out of poverty.

I'm in favor of the 15 wage. At least that is ongoing.

Giving someone a check for a few thousand just means they'll spend it on bullshit and not their kids. Then we get a nice group of gangbanging shithead losers.

Forced military service. Mandatory abortion under an income threshold.

It's probably the only way to end this terrible cycle.
    $15/hour isn’t the same in Phoenix as it is in Mullan, Idaho.

Thinking all communities in the USA have the same economy is stupid. Don’t be stupid.
    Interesting (or not) a lot of places here in N. Idaho start people at $15 or more

Zip’s Burgers for one

Hell..Daft Badger is paying $17+ to start
    I don't think you can hire anyone at any business for less than 13-15 bucks an hour around CDA. I see fast food advertising a starting hourly of 13+.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,175
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sledog said:

HuskyJW said:

Giving someone a check for a few thousand just means they'll spend it on bullshit and not their kids. Then we get a nice group of gangbanging shithead losers.

Thinking all communities in the USA have the same economy is stupid. Don’t be stupid.
    Interesting (or not) a lot of places here in N. Idaho start people at $15 or more

Zip’s Burgers for one

I don't think you can hire anyone at any business for less than 13-15 bucks an hour around CDA. I see fast food advertising a starting hourly of 13+.
    Thank you, Duane Hagadone.

#capitalism

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,384
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Sledog said:

HuskyJW said:

Zip’s Burgers for one

Thank you, Duane Hagadone.

#capitalism

I pay him for a boat slip, fuel, dinners, parts and who knows what else!
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,346
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

Interesting arguments but I strongly disagree with the mandatory abortion idea.
    Fine. Forced sterilization.
    I get your point. I'm not sure why my disagreement deserved a Fuck Off. There's other ways to accomplish your valid goals in my opinion.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    But for the mentally ill, poverty in the US is tied almost exclusively to shitty choices people have made. Giving people money won't end poverty because most of these people will continue to make the very same shitty choices that got them into poverty in the first place. In fact giving them money will encourage many of them to make even more shitty choices.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,215
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    SFGbob said:

But for the mentally ill, poverty in the US is tied almost exclusively to shitty choices people have made. Giving people money won't end poverty because most of these people will continue to make the very same shitty choices that got them into poverty in the first place. In fact giving them money will encourage many of them to make even more shitty choices.

This was the Bush approach to home ownership. He noted that homeowners had some good virtues, more employment, less criminal convictions, more marriages. Ergo, homeownership should be heavily subsidized to create good virtue. Unfortunately, correlation doesn't equal causation. One of the big factors behind the 2007-2008 housing collapse. Giving no down payment loans to people who had no ability to pay it back and then selling those to Fannie Mae turned out just like you think it would.