Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCA Academy Awards - Best Picture 1982?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Das Boot

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

The Final Cut of Blade Runner is in my top 10, and is probably my favorite sci-fi film ever (also arguably the best film noir too, which is what this movie really is). Goddamn though, this 1982 list has some beasts.

Fast Times - one of the best and iconic teen sex comedies.

Ghandi - a worthy best picture winner, thanks largely to Ben Kingsley's performance

Wrath of Khan - the best Trek film ever released, and it has probably the best individual scene from any of these movies (watch even if you're not a Trek fan, it's more submarine pew pew thriller than highbrow nerd):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpYqWAIwFA

ET - an all time great for sure, and John Williams at his best

The Thing - can't praise this enough, probably only behind Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) for sci-fi horror

What a kingly list. I'm happy with whatever winning this one.

Couldn't agree more. This was my favorite year so far. They're all worthy.
    My sixth grade class went to downtown Seattle to watch Ghandi. Was good at first but then got boring to my sixth grade brain

I think Ghandi had a bigger impact on your sixth grade than you're giving it credit....

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    Founders Club
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

The Final Cut of Blade Runner is in my top 10, and is probably my favorite sci-fi film ever (also arguably the best film noir too, which is what this movie really is). Goddamn though, this 1982 list has some beasts.

Ghandi - a worthy best picture winner, thanks largely to Ben Kingsley's performance

Wrath of Khan - the best Trek film ever released, and it has probably the best individual scene from any of these movies (watch even if you're not a Trek fan, it's more submarine pew pew thriller than highbrow nerd):

The Thing - can't praise this enough, probably only behind Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) for sci-fi horror

My sixth grade class went to downtown Seattle to watch Ghandi. Was good at first but then got boring to my sixth grade brain

I think Ghandi had a bigger impact on your sixth grade than you're giving it credit....

LOL well maybe. But in middle school there was one Indian in all of Tillicum Junior High -- Usha J. I was gobsmacked in her presence, she was so beautiful. So I think that might have gotten the desi ball rolling. For Halloween she dressed up as Boy George. I dressed up as a pirate/priest. I was blessing her during art class, and Mr. Kentella said in front of the class, "Mr. Johnson, if you don't stop blessing people I'm going to bless you with a 2x4."
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    Das Boot

chuck said:

Gladstone said:

LOL well maybe. But in middle school there was one Indian in all of Tillicum Junior High -- Usha J. I was gobsmacked in her presence, she was so beautiful. So I think that might have gotten the desi ball rolling. For Halloween she dressed up as Boy George. I dressed up as a pirate/priest. I was blessing her during art class, and Mr. Kentella said in front of the class, "Mr. Johnson, if you don't stop blessing people I'm going to bless you with a 2x4."
    Used to play county rec ball at Tillicum.

Glory days.