Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rich People Leaving California Isn't What You Think

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
Or so says this guy. Chinteresting take on what is an obvious trend. Wouldn't it be cool if enough of them left to make it semi-affordable again? What is always left out of these discussions is the physical appeal of California. It's a great place geographically. Beautiful, great weather, etc. Fuck if enough tech rolled out to Texas or wherever, and made Marin or Orange counties semi-affordable, I'd go. WTF not? Who doesn't want to live in Laguna Niguel? Seriously it's the shit.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-rich-people-leaving-california-isnt-what-you-think-130327533.html

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,609
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Or so says this guy. Chinteresting take on what is an obvious trend. Wouldn't it be cool if enough of them left to make it semi-affordable again? What is always left out of these discussions is the physical appeal of California. It's a great place geographically. Beautiful, great weather, etc. Fuck if enough tech rolled out to Texas or wherever, and made Marin or Orange counties semi-affordable, I'd go. WTF not? Who doesn't want to live in Laguna Niguel? Seriously it's the shit.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-rich-people-leaving-california-isnt-what-you-think-130327533.html

They ignore this obvious fact and say that wealthy people live there because of the progressive politics.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

A crisp 79 degree February day here

I know of no other place where you can snow ski in the morning and be at the beach in the late afternoon.
    If you rich and got a helicopter I can think of few places lol
  • Options

I know of no other place where you can snow ski in the morning and be at the beach in the late afternoon.
    The skiing is mostly shit. Mammoth is the closest real skiing.
    Utah/colorado or bust. Wack skiing is not worth it at all imo
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I read the same article and smirked at the last quote, a former Clinton official working in Newsom's office haha.

California will still have population problems as there are 2+ million illegal immigrants living there and it is a popular place for people moving from Asia or buying 2nd homes.

The biggest problem may be the growth of their State and local governments at all levels. Once you are paying lifeguards $100k a year in retirement at 50, it's really hard to get rid of that kind of spending so taxes / bloat marches ever higher.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,084
    Swaye's Wigwam

Utah is the most consistent in the country. But CA has epic skiing at times. Mammoth can be an incredible mountain.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,875
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    All this hate speach re skiing.

I'm shaking and about to vomit.

Derek !!

• Options

Utah is the most consistent in the country. But CA has epic skiing at times. Mammoth can be an incredible mountain.
    I went once in college. It was pretty solid. Went up to Brian head utah a couple weeks ago and it was epic. A bit scary getting up the mountain when it was snowing like crazy though.

My uncle had a place in Tahoe for most of my years growing up. Always wanted to go up there winter but never did. Also never went in the summer every year when my family conveniently went right when I was at either football or baseball camp. After the 8th year in a row I was like wtf guys.

His family started maybelline so his sister and husband like owned the marina there. Not sure if they still do. The whole family pissed their money away gambling and shit.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I assume you're isolating this to SoCal? Unless you have some kind of Tahoe animus I'm unaware of.

I won't claim to have ever skied in SoCal, because why the fuck would I? Is Bear Mountain even halfway tolerable?
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,293
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The Alki Beach Community Association would like a word.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I assume you're isolating this to SoCal? Unless you have some kind of Tahoe animus I'm unaware of.

I won't claim to have ever skied in SoCal, because why the fuck would I? Is Bear Mountain even halfway tolerable?
    So Cal skiing is twash as fuck. Every so often a place like Baldy ski lifts can get dumped on but it’s rare. North California has great skiing in a good winter.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

HFNY said:

I read the same article and smirked at the last quote, a former Clinton official working in Newsom's office haha.

California will still have population problems as there are 2+ million illegal immigrants living there and it is a popular place for people moving from Asia or buying 2nd homes.

The biggest problem may be the growth of their State and local governments at all levels. Once you are paying lifeguards $100k a year in retirement at 50, it's really hard to get rid of that kind of spending so taxes / bloat marches ever higher.

Yup. People will always want to live in California and NYC. *Who* those people are will change.

I honestly think it’s good for the country as a whole that more tech workers and tech jobs are moving to different areas. Diversity is a good thing.
    I agree in that a lower cost of living but same salary would mean greater purchasing power would spread the prosperity in more places. I hope to see more tech and other businesses in places like Spokane.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,306
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

All this hate speach re skiing.

I'm shaking and about to vomit.

Derek !!

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,980
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2021
    HFNY said:

HFNY said:

Yup. People will always want to live in California and NYC. *Who* those people are will change.

I honestly think it’s good for the country as a whole that more tech workers and tech jobs are moving to different areas. Diversity is a good thing.
    I agree in that a lower cost of living but same salary would mean greater purchasing power would spread the prosperity in more places. I hope to see more tech and other businesses in places like Spokane.

https://www.krem.com/article/money/consumer/north-idaho-real-estate-market/293-2b421700-5aef-4f8d-99db-6be908f804be

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jan/12/it-performed-better-than-we-thought-spokane-county/

Get them while they're hot. Not gonna last long. Spokane isn't any different.

There are currently 13 stick built homes in Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene has 22, she said. In January 2020, Post Falls had 215 homes on the market. In January 2021, there were 63.

The lowest price in Post Falls is $425,000 and in Coeur d'Alene is $312,000. A house in the $300,000 range is a rarity and the next lowest price after is $525,000, she showed.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HFNY said:

HFNY said:

https://www.krem.com/article/money/consumer/north-idaho-real-estate-market/293-2b421700-5aef-4f8d-99db-6be908f804be

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/jan/12/it-performed-better-than-we-thought-spokane-county/

Get them while they're hot. Not gonna last long. Spokane isn't any different.

There are currently 13 stick built homes in Post Falls and Coeur d'Alene has 22, she said. In January 2020, Post Falls had 215 homes on the market. In January 2021, there were 63.

The lowest price in Post Falls is $425,000 and in Coeur d'Alene is $312,000. A house in the $300,000 range is a rarity and the next lowest price after is $525,000, she showed.

$425k ? Good god. You can buy that working at Walmart almost.