Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

737 Max- Still not fixed?

doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
This report says it’s Renton’s fault. Don’t the Seahawks live in Renton?

Introduction The world has heard the basic explanation given for why two new 737 MAX airplanes crashed killing 346 people. The Angle of Attack (AOA) Sensor sent faulty data to the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) software, which caused the horizontal stabilizers to repeatedly pitch the airplanes down, overwhelming the pilots causing them to lose control. People that have been following these tragedies a little closer know the original, Boeing-installed AOA Sensor on the Lion Air airplane had been replaced the day before the crash. But there is more to the story. Important facts involving the Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 accident investigations have gone unnoticed leading to many unanswered questions. Several factors appear to have played a direct role in the accidents—specifically, the failure of the AOA Sensors, unexplainable electrical anomalies, and the production of the airplanes—the details of which seem to have been largely ignored. There are at least three other plausible accident scenarios that have not been investigated

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/former-boeing-employee-says-737-max-still-not-fixed

Comments

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Quality is king, schedule is God. Lazy B credo. I think the “whistle blower” has a point. Between the skill dilution and crazy ramp up in production schedules on that production line, something is/was bound to give. The regulatory agencies should be peaking under the hood in the case.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,953
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    From my understanding (not an aero guy) anything they do is a band-aid...the fundamental design flaw is the pairing of the engines and that frame/wing. And you can’t fix that without scraping the entire line and starting fresh which won’t happen.
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,345
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    I talked to a southwest pilot... they knew about the issue and how to react to it. Nbd. Proboem was the third world airlines didn't properly train their pilots. Shocker there... not
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021

From my understanding (not an aero guy) anything they do is a band-aid...the fundamental design flaw is the pairing of the engines and that frame/wing. And you can’t fix that without scraping the entire line and starting fresh which won’t happen.

It's true that the engine doesn't really fit the airframe, but with 2 AOA sensors
    , the MCAS, and proper pilot training, it's a non-issue.

The problem was Boeing CAS sold the plane as requiring no additional training and wouldn't back away from that, even when the pilots were saying otherwise. Then they cheaped out and only put one AOA sensor on the plane and charged airlines for a second sensor instead of just including it.

When you build aircraft, you should listen to people that fly them, not some paper pusher that can't tell an aileron from an elevator. I'm not anxious to board a 737 Max, although the way it's been gone over with a fine tooth comb the last couple years probably means it's the safest airframe out there.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,687
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Goduckies said:

I talked to a southwest pilot... they knew about the issue and how to react to it. Nbd. Proboem was the third world airlines didn't properly train their pilots. Shocker there... not

Have two airline pilots in my circle who say the same. 3rd world training didn't sink in well enough. Watch what airline you fly!