Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

HCH Academy Awarads - Best Picture of 1997?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Good Will Hunting

Criminally underrated

And unusual in that its a direct shot at Bill Clinton yet should be a cautionary tale in any year

Wag the Dog and Primary Colors are not easy to find. You'd think that one of the services would have had both streaming last fall for sure.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The Fifth Element

Criminally underrated

And unusual in that its a direct shot at Bill Clinton yet should be a cautionary tale in any year

Wag the Dog and Primary Colors are not easy to find. You'd think that one of the services would have had both streaming last fall for sure.

Yeah, but still.

Good lookin out. When I'd checked in the fall, there was like one expensive option for Wag.

ATBS, chinclude that shit in my subscriptions.
  • Options
    Good Will Hunting

Criminally underrated

Yeah, but still.

Good lookin out. When I'd checked in the fall, there was like one expensive option for Wag.

No shit. I act like I've been mugged if I have to pay per view on Prime or Netflix or xfinity.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter
    L.A. Confidential

Criminally underrated

Yeah, but still.

Wag the Dog is on Hoopla (King County Library) for streaming @GrundleStiltzkin.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good Will Hunting
    Would you like to watch it in 1080? 720? With Dutch subtitles?

Pay $40 per year for a VPN, turn it on, and watch whatever the hell you want.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,314
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good Will Hunting
    Oh, and totally another strong year. The problem I have with contests like this is that there are the movies I "enjoy" most, then there are the movies that are the "best." I could watch The Fifth Element three times per year and it wouldn't get old. But is it the best on the list? For this kind of award, I usually err toward the movie that is the most powerful and provokes the strongest reaction/thought/etc. or is the deepest or most original.

I really liked Wag the Dog a lot. Donnie Brasco is one of two mob/gangster movies I can think of off the top of my head that I actually like. I think three of my favorite movies from this year didn't even make the pole, and those are Contact (book was even better), Grosse Pointe Blank, and Devil's Advocate.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    The Fifth Element

Oh, and totally another strong year. The problem I have with contests like this is that there are the movies I "enjoy" most, then there are the movies that are the "best." I could watch The Fifth Element three times per year and it wouldn't get old. But is it the best on the list? For this kind of award, I usually err toward the movie that is the most powerful and provokes the strongest reaction/thought/etc. or is the deepest or most original.

I really liked Wag the Dog a lot. Donnie Brasco is one of two mob/gangster movies I can think of off the top of my head that I actually like. I think three of my favorite movies from this year didn't even make the pole, and those are Contact (book was even better), Grosse Pointe Blank, and Devil's Advocate.

Cosigned on those two. Both kinda underrated.
  • Options
    Good Will Hunting

Cosigned on those two. Both kinda underrated.
    Co-cosigned. Contact: MM and JF...swoooooooon
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wag The Dog
    Devil's Advocate

I read the book dad, we lose
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Boogie Nights
    Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies ... it’s spectacular in so many ways

Titanic is an epic ... and Kate’s bosom

But we’re in Yellow Piss’s Record Shop and you’ll be hard pressed to find a better soundtrack than Boogie Nights ... and no other movie has a sassy Nina Hartley cuckolding Little Bill
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,872
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The Throbber had a newborn in 1997.

Are any of these movies good?

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Titanic
    This one was hard. I love Fifth Element and have seen it a hundred times. In fact when they premiered the twentieth anniversary showing at the SF Metreon IMAX I was first in line. And if I’m in a noir mood, LA Confidential is hard to top. I love the character of Bud. As a kid he made me want to be a cop. Jackie Brown is the most underrated Tarantino movie.