Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

That's our Mickens...

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I still don’t know how the fuck he made it in the NFL

He is like a faster version of Mario Bailey. (And a bit quicker)

Love this guy!
    Yeah you could hardly tell them apart other than Mickens testing faster. Bailey caught more than he dropped too.
    Bailey playing the slot in today’s soft AF NFL is probably a weapon. He was just too small to play in a league where defenders could actually touch you. Don’t think for a minute that Mickens can hold Mario’s jock strap. Just don’t.
    Nobody does think that about Mickens, but great post. If you watch an older NFL game, it was a lot different.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

chuck said:

Love this guy!
    Yeah you could hardly tell them apart other than Mickens testing faster. Bailey caught more than he dropped too.
    Bailey playing the slot in today’s soft AF NFL is probably a weapon. He was just too small to play in a league where defenders could actually touch you. Don’t think for a minute that Mickens can hold Mario’s jock strap. Just don’t.
    Nobody does think that about Mickens, but great post. If you watch an older NFL game, it was a lot different.
    And a lot harder to watch
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Love this guy!
    I was being sarcasmic. I dont give a fuck that Bailey couldn't catch on in the NFL. He was one of the best college receivers I've ever watched. Mickens wasn't suited to sniff the ground where Mario's jock strap lay.
    I'm going to throw in a challenge here. Bailey was one of Washington's best clutch receivers who also played on a great team. But wide receiver isn't a position for which Washington has cranked out a ton of next-level talent. Even "one of" the best college receivers ever watched would only work if you tended to only watch Washington play. I don't think you can seriously put him in that category. He had a knack for getting open and a separate knack for getting behind defenses despite not having elite speed, and he made catches. But there have been an awful lot of freak athletes to play the position.

It's always hard to say whether a player would catch on in different eras. But I think the main thing with Bailey was he was too small and too slow for the NFL. I do wonder why he couldn't catch on as a slot / possession guy like an Edelman. There's more use of that player today, and maybe that would have been his lane.
  • Options

chuck said:

Love this guy!
    And a lot harder to watch
    Mickens is just faster and probably quicker. Bailey was a better receiver hands down.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

Love this guy!
    I was being sarcasmic. I dont give a fuck that Bailey couldn't catch on in the NFL. He was one of the best college receivers I've ever watched. Mickens wasn't suited to sniff the ground where Mario's jock strap lay.
    I'm going to throw in a challenge here. Bailey was one of Washington's best clutch receivers who also played on a great team. But wide receiver isn't a position for which Washington has cranked out a ton of next-level talent. Even "one of" the best college receivers ever watched would only work if you tended to only watch Washington play. I don't think you can seriously put him in that category. He had a knack for getting open and a separate knack for getting behind defenses despite not having elite speed, and he made catches. But there have been an awful lot of freak athletes to play the position.

It's always hard to say whether a player would catch on in different eras. But I think the main thing with Bailey was he was too small and too slow for the NFL. I do wonder why he couldn't catch on as a slot / possession guy like an Edelman. There's more use of that player today, and maybe that would have been his lane.
    I figured it went without saying that i was making the statement about his place in history from a UW fan's perspective with all biases implied.

But...Mario put up similar numbers to the WR who won the Heisman in 91. He put up big numbers playing for a conservative HC and an OC known as the round mound of the ground.

All I would say is that he was as good and productive as was possible to be on the team he played on, with a conservative HC and OC nicknamed "the round mound of the ground". That puts him among the best college receivers I've watched. It's not an objective opinion, but it's not a completely unsupportable one either. At least it wouldn't be for someone with better debating skills than I have.
  • Options
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Love this guy!

I figured it went without saying that i was making the statement about his place in history from a UW fan's perspective with all biases implied.

But...Mario put up similar numbers to the WR who won the Heisman in 91. He put up big numbers playing for a conservative HC and an OC known as the round mound of the ground.

All I would say is that he was as good and productive as was possible to be on the team he played on, with a conservative HC and OC nicknamed "the round mound of the ground". That puts him among the best college receivers I've watched. It's not an objective opinion, but it's not a completely unsupportable one either. At least it wouldn't be for someone with better debating skills than I have.
    I'll allow it.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Love this guy!

I'll allow it.
    Thanks. I just noticed that I had some editing errors so it's no small relief that it passed muster with the judge.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021

chuck said:

Love this guy!
    A lot of you are missing the real issue here. While being an awesome talent at Washington, Bailey lacked some aspects of of professionalism that made his transition to the NFL much more difficult.
    A little research into the issue will show you that one of Washington’s former coaches was at Houston the same time Bailey was there. This same coach was responsible for getting Corey Dillion drafted by Cincinnati and very close to both situations. Everyone has talent in the NFL, and are separated by film preparation, practice effort and the ability to play though injury and pain.
    Bailey will always be one of the best college receivers to play for Washington. But just like other very talented college athletes he lacked certain intangibles that are required for the NFL.
    I’m not sure you can classify the league today as being soft, when you have 280 lb defensive ends running 4.5-4.6 40’s.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Love this guy!
    A lot of you are missing the real issue here. While being an awesome talent at Washington, Bailey lacked some aspects of of professionalism that made his transition to the NFL much more difficult.
    A little research into the issue will show you that one of Washington’s former coaches was at Houston the same time Bailey was there. This same coach was responsible for getting Corey Dillion drafted by Cincinnati and very close to both situations. Everyone has talent in the NFL, and are separated by film preparation, practice effort and the ability to play though injury and pain.
    Bailey will always be one of the best college receivers to play for Washington. But just like other very talented college athletes he lacked certain intangibles that are required for the NFL.
    I’m not sure you can classify the league today as being soft, when you have 280 lb defensive ends running 4.5-4.6 40’s.
    It’s not soft but receivers run free in the middle of the field with no fear of getting their head knocked off. Receivers running down the seam and on slants used to get ear holed.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    It's fucking hilarious, and just goes to show, but who woulda thunk Jaydon "the meme" Mickens would be better in the league than offseason champ John Ross?
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

dtd said:

It's fucking hilarious, and just goes to show, but who woulda thunk Jaydon "the meme" Mickens would be better in the league than offseason champ John Ross?

He's not. Ross has 38 more career receptions, 600 more yards and 8 career TDs.

I don't think Mickens value as a returner makes up that kind of difference.
    Let me drunk poast in peace.