Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Bellevue Teachers Union: “We aren’t going back to work”

thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,984
“BEA educators voted against moving forward expanding in-person learning until a COVID-19 vaccine is more readily available to all educators. Current in-person and virtual classes will continue pending an announcement from the district by Wednesday, approving the expansion pause.

"We have a vaccine on the horizon and we need to use every protection possible to keep our students, staff, and community safe," Snow said in the WEA statement. "It doesn’t make sense to return more students and staff to school buildings without taking every measure we can, which includes offering vaccines to educators."

https://www.q13fox.com/news/parents-grow-frustrated-with-bellevue-teachers-meeting-over-the-possibility-of-delaying-in-person-learning.amp

They’re just following the science, guys....

Comments

• alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,858

More entertainment from the "we are all going to die" to "come on out it's safe now" show.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Terrible people
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,984
    Sets up a showdown between the BSD superintendent and the teachers Union.

He basically said in an open letter that was emailed out to parents last week that union reps were reneging on an agreed upon rollout to in person learning and that the union was placing politics over students well-being.

Still no recorded cases of child-to-school staff transmission for those of you keeping score at home.

So, either the rank and file for the union prefers working from home in their PJs, or the union is after more than just access to vaccines.

Because last I checked, meat packers, Uber eats drivers, Amazon delivery people, and grocery baggers are still out at work, servicing these teachers who are at home, ranting about Donald Trump on zoom calls with their 2nd grade students instead of teaching math and writing.

I fucking cannot stand teachers unions and 50% of all primary public educators are trash anyway. Maybe 40% in Bellevue, since it’s apparently one of the best districts on the west coast.

But, remember...as the LA County School Union Chief taught us, this is all about them keeeds, right?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,526 Standard Supporter
    Well, put the teachers union leaders in with that fucking faggot Jay Inslee as child killers, too.

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    edited January 2021
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    I'm not sure that LA schools even exist anymore. When home learning was rolled out about 50% of the kids didn't bother. And that was last winter

Well, put the teachers union leaders in with that fucking faggot Jay Inslee as child killers, too.

Inslee is hot garbage, but he’s asking for a return to in-person learning, knowing that parents have had enough and there’s a political cost.

Teachers Union wants something more than just vaccines and they’re sending a message that they can exact that political cost if they do choose.

But, but, but....science, guys.
    I think BTA should use up all of their political capital today.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

Inslee is hot garbage, but he’s asking for a return to in-person learning, knowing that parents have had enough and there’s a political cost.

Teachers Union wants something more than just vaccines and they’re sending a message that they can exact that political cost if they do choose.

But, but, but....science, guys.
    I haven't tracked it super close lately, but last I saw Jay was being sorta canny and letting Reykdal be the bad guy calling for mass death by way of opening schools.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,334 Swaye's Wigwam

Its HARD to go back to work after 8 months of raging alcoholism

I know

Truth
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,327 Swaye's Wigwam
    Because we all had teachers who no to half assed it, those that were good, those that made learning worse, and that many of the things we were taught provided little value than the ability to sit quietly for 50 minutes at a time.
    doogie said:

Teachers Union knows that when the Doors Open, the student counts won’t be anywhere near pre-Covid and that means Staffing Cuts.

That means for every student who found an alternative to full time in person return to school the district loses $11,500

Source?
    Washington's public schools serve over 1.1 million students, and the state is responsible for funding the public education of each of those students. Although there are variances across school districts and grade levels, the state spent an average of $11,500 per student in basic education funding in 2019.

https://www.k12.wa.us/policy-funding
  • DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,488
    I can't validate the $11,500 but my wife does work in an admissions office for a local school here and they take every possible measure to prevent withdrawals as it financially makes a huge difference to them. When WA State offered an "online option" which was centralized and not tied to the school, they lost students and called each and every one of them to try to sway them back due to finances.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,334 Swaye's Wigwam

I can't validate the $11,500 but my wife does work in an admissions office for a local school here and they take every possible measure to prevent withdrawals as it financially makes a huge difference to them. When WA State offered an "online option" which was centralized and not tied to the school, they lost students and called each and every one of them to try to sway them back due to finances.

more FTE=more money

Centralized teaching....like a call center?