Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    If we're being honest, the vast majority of us? were off about Herbert. Anyone who is not @GrandpaSankey could see that he had the physical tools. But despite a solid senior year in which he put it mostly all together, there did seem to be enough "off" about him to cause doubts about his prospects in a league that chews and spits out legions of talented college players.

My ongoing question about him, then, was overall toughness and seeming lack of fire in the belly. I think he got beat up a lot this season by NFL defensive linemen, so I think the toughness part was answered. As for fire, it's still hard to say whether he is living off genetic lottery talent or truly mentally prepared for the ups and downs of life in the NFL. Only time will tell. Still, he's looked amazing.

I don't know how anybody does this shit for a living. Even people who actually do it - spending all their time analyzing players and getting paid for it - miss wildly all the time. It seems a very hard thing to predict.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When he ran to win the Rose Bowl and his performance against UW led me to believe he could cut it

Still surprised he's this good.

Too bad the Patriots didn't get him. He's doomed in San Diego
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

If we're being honest, the vast majority of us? were off about Herbert. Anyone who is not @GrandpaSankey could see that he had the physical tools. But despite a solid senior year in which he put it mostly all together, there did seem to be enough "off" about him to cause doubts about his prospects in a league that chews and spits out legions of talented college players.

My ongoing question about him, then, was overall toughness and seeming lack of fire in the belly. I think he got beat up a lot this season by NFL defensive linemen, so I think the toughness part was answered. As for fire, it's still hard to say whether he is living off genetic lottery talent or truly mentally prepared for the ups and downs of life in the NFL. Only time will tell. Still, he's looked amazing.

I don't know how anybody does this shit for a living. Even people who actually do it - spending all their time analyzing players and getting paid for it - miss wildly all the time. It seems a very hard thing to predict.

So much of what make up a good Pro QB isn't measurable. We've all seen the guys who have all the physical tools but can't cut it mentally or who aren't willing to put in the work.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    While the NFL is a QB league much more so than college they still manage to put too much emphasis on it

The JETS drafted a savior in Darnold a couple of years ago and then looked like they wanted to tank for Lawrence. Lawrence will be a Jag and probably end up as a JAG because its the Jags

The lucky QB in this draft will go to a good team. Not the bottom feeders

And by the way the Chargers are no where near as bad as their record even though you are what your record says. They have a real good defense and a good offense and lose by 7 points or less every week

Maybe Mario can clean some things up down here
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Jets fans were shredding the Bills for drafting Josh Allen over Dwayne Haskins. Some TV Hot Take bros even said it was because of racism. The Jets were so sure Darnold was the obvious pick and were mocking the Bills.

Draft night internet meltdowns in the NFL and NBA have never made sense to me. It’s so easy to look like an idiot.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,697
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

While the NFL is a QB league much more so than college they still manage to put too much emphasis on it

The JETS drafted a savior in Darnold a couple of years ago and then looked like they wanted to tank for Lawrence. Lawrence will be a Jag and probably end up as a JAG because its the Jags

And by the way the Chargers are no where near as bad as their record even though you are what your record says. They have a real good defense and a good offense and lose by 7 points or less every week

On USC, have had some shitty luck with QBs at the next level. Honestly, they've sucked after Palmer, and that was 20 years ago.

But they've had some lights out receivers, many of which have kicked ass in the NFL. I wonder if it's possible that some of those receivers made some of those QBs look better than they actually were.
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

On USC, have had some shitty luck with QBs at the next level. Honestly, they've sucked after Palmer, and that was 20 years ago.

But they've had some lights out receivers, many of which have kicked ass in the NFL. I wonder if it's possible that some of those receivers made some of those QBs look better than they actually were.
    Could be the same with ‘Bama QBs, too. Those huge windows throwing to frost-rounders Amari Cooper, Jerry Juedy, Henry Ruggs, and others aren’t there as consistently in the NFL. Plus, those running backs and OL...