Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is it possible that

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
UW and the other opt out teams simply don't want to spend the money on a bowl game? Its generally a losing proposition in a good year. I can't imagine much revenue outside the playoffs or NY6

Comments

• Postal91Postal91 Member Posts: 1,803
    Good point. Didn't need any moral boosts for this epic year. Wonder how the AD is looking at the basketball team right now. Maybe they can do a covid promotion where $100 gets your name on a Gatorade cup that may be used during a game. (Waiting for my next dono request email)
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,042 Standard Supporter

UW and the other opt out teams simply don't want to spend the money on a bowl game? Its generally a losing proposition in a good year. I can't imagine much revenue outside the playoffs or NY6

Was thinking about this. Most of the bowls don’t make much from the gates. It’s on tv. Teams likely are not getting wined and dined like normal tears and maybe even just come in the night before to save in lodging and food costs. I have no idea what any of this means though.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    The 180 on playing another game after very recent comments about wanting a bowl made me suspect they were holding out for Alamo and were told Alamo was picking CCG loser or CU.

...and frankly the drop to what else is available after Alamo is big. Twash, really.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

UW had 4 meaningful games this year and didn't get to play in any. The Apple Cup, Oregon, the Conference Championship, and a good bowl.

Saban was right that the Pac-12 ran a JV league this season.
    Other than the Apple Cup, get to's got nothing to do with it
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,947

The 180 on playing another game after very recent comments about wanting a bowl made me suspect they were holding out for Alamo and were told Alamo was picking CCG loser or CU.

...and frankly the drop to what else is available after Alamo is big. Twash, really.

that seems like as plausible as anything. but the money may have been a factor too. if NY6 I think people are interested even if it's cashflow negative. anything else is 'why bother?' and expensive.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,367 Founders Club
    What about the kids?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

What about the kids?

I never boo them
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    I think UW views football as an extracurricular, no reason to overly invest in the product.

They would be more than happy to join the MWC and clean up with meaningless 8+ win seasons without really trying.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,518 Founders Club
    BC and Pitt both played close to a full schedule and opted out. Pitt wasn't that good but they'd still probably have enough cache to get some shit bowl that still exists in 2020. I'd bet it's financial.

I'm hoping COVID 86s about 18 of these dumb bowls. It's pathetic participation trophy and degenerate gambler bullshit. Trump doesn't approve.
  • dtddtd Member Posts: 4,495 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2020
    Yeah what program would want the extra practice and exposure for a couple hundred grand. We have rowing programs to support.

Anyone else notice it's the losers opting out?

I would never to so far as to suggest anyone is trying to delegitimize the season.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,572
    edited December 2020

This. Whatever program goes to Shreveport to play army is fucking dumb. Enjoy getting your ACLs battered for 3 hours in a sleet storm...edit: asu just opted out too. No Pac12 team wants to go to the independence. Smartest move by the conf all year
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,972

What about the kids?

I'm sure many of them would love to have a bowl game so they can sit out and prepare for the draft.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,591 Standard Supporter
    dtd said:

Yeah what program would want the extra practice and exposure for a couple hundred grand. We have rowing programs to support.

Anyone else notice it's the losers opting out?

I would never to so far as to suggest anyone is trying to delegitimize the season.

Penn State? LSU (sort of)?

I assume with wrecked athletic budgets anything optional that isn’t cash flow positive is a non-starter. Free Pub is valuable but it’s not really free.

The bonuses paid out for bowls in coaching contracts probably negates enough of the bowl revenue.