Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Who is/was the most important recruit for UW in this class?

I hope this doesn't come off as WDWHA or doog'ish. Losing Emeka sucks. Losing JTT will suck.

ATBS, my belief is that Huard is the most important recruit in this class if he's as good as advertised. I would put them in order as Huard, JTT, Emeka. QB is the straw that stirs the drink. Put a 1st-round-talent QB on the recent Fiesta and Rose Bowl teams and UW wins both of those games.

Obviously you want all three of them. Don't come at me with the BDTW retard stuff.

ISHIT has a ton of pressure on him. A winning product on the field is a better recruiting tool than anything else.

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Huard was the most important. Our staff sucks at recruiting and doesn’t seem to try all that hard. They were gifted a chance to do something big. They didn’t.
  • Options
    DoogerMcFarlandDoogerMcFarland Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 739
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Huard if he’s allowed to throw the fucking ball.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Caiden Jumper is obviously our most important recruit. We need at least 1 or 2 fullback/h-backs each year
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,297
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Because we're going through this exercise now, before we've seen any of the three play college ball, my order of importance would be JTT, Egbuka, Huard.

Go to the Elite-11 website and look at the lists of the elite of the elite TBS QB recruits going back over the years (you'll see Garbers on one and Morris on another, btw). It's amazing how few of them I can remember doing anything in college. How often anymore do you see a class #1 QB JT Daniels hitting the portal while some kid named Kedon Slovis wins the job? For every Trevor Lawrence, there are 10 Keith Prices.

Huard throws an incredible ball, but how he will handle the next level is a total crapshoot. JTT seems as much a sure thing as they come. Egbuka, similar. Huard could end up being the Washington Trevor Lawrence, in which case he's the most important recruit in decades. Not knowing that, though, I'd rather have a sure thing. Yesterday was a bummer, and JTT's tOSU commitment will be even worse.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Because we're going through this exercise now, before we've seen any of the three play college ball, my order of importance would be JTT, Egbuka, Huard.

Go to the Elite-11 website and look at the lists of the elite of the elite TBS QB recruits going back over the years (you'll see Garbers on one and Morris on another, btw). It's amazing how few of them I can remember doing anything in college. How often anymore do you see a class #1 QB JT Daniels hitting the portal while some kid named Kedon Slovis wins the job? For every Trevor Lawrence, there are 10 Keith Prices.

Huard throws an incredible ball, but how he will handle the next level is a total crapshoot. JTT seems as much a sure thing as they come. Egbuka, similar. Huard could end up being the Washington Trevor Lawrence, in which case he's the most important recruit in decades. Not knowing that, though, I'd rather have a sure thing. Yesterday was a bummer, and JTT's tOSU commitment will be even worse.

Plenty of elite 11 guys are mid level four stars.

Huard has been five star level for like three years.

FOH with the Morris and Garbers comps and whatever the hell Keith Price is supposed to have to do with this.

QB is the most important position. Sam is (by far) the highest regarded QB we’ve taken out of HS since his uncle.

He’s easily the most important.

And I fucking wanted the other two anyway.
    He's easily the most important if he works out. As you stated, it's the most important position. QB recruiting seems to be a crapshoot, though, hence mentioning Price (he beat out a much more heralded and highly recruited guy). If Huard can't beat Morris or Garbers and gets passed up by the 3-star out of the '23 class, will you still be saying he was more important than JTT and Egbuka would have been? Because that's about ten times more likely to happen than either of those two being busts.

Huard is the highest regarded QB taken out of high school in a long time, yes. By Washington. There have been plenty of other local high school quarterbacks who were right up there, though. Browne, Heaps, Eason. They all flamed out to varying degrees from mildly to spectacularly. One of them, eventually, at Washington. Hell, you mention his uncle. Brock was 11th overall in his class according to the Google. Ended up a sub-55% career passer, worse than 2:1 TD:INT. Would you take that over the #1 overall player in the class at DT?

I hope Huard is by far the most important recruit out of the three, as that would mean he's really, really good, starts for multiple years, and plays up to his billing. The other two are almost sure to be and almost surely will.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    QBs are always the most important, because they’re the QB. I think that explains enough.

There are two ways to look at it now, and then a third one later on for retrospective. From a competition standpoint it’s Huard. Because he’s the QB and could make an enormous impact.

Huard has been committed since he was a sperm, or at least since fetus Huard made it past the cutoff date. The other way is recruiting pull, whoever was the one that had to be recruited instead of just landed and was valued the most. It’s a toss up for me, both JTT and Emeka have equal chances to be difference makers both competitively and narratively. I would go with the DL 81% of the time, but here it’s different when you could have a WR/QB 5-star combo.

If anyone is curious about 5-star QB scouting and bust rates: a 5-star QB is as likely to be a bust as a super star. Highest bust rate for any 5-star recruit position. I would argue that QB scouting is worse in the last decade than it was 2000-2010. I attribute that to camps being valued more than high school game performance.

2010-18 composite 5-stars: 2010: Philip Sims, Jeff Driskel, Braxton Miller, Jameis Winston, Gunner Kiel, Max Browne, Christian Hackenberg, Kyle Allen, Josh Rosen, Blake Barnett, Kyler Murray, Shea Patterson, Jacob Eason, Davis Mills, Hunter Johnson, Tua Tagovailoa, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, JT Daniels.

I count
    Busts: 6 (Sims, Driskel, Kiel, Barnett, Johnson, Daniels)
    Super star: 6 (Winston, Rosen, Murray, Tua, Lawrence, Fields)
    Everyone else is middling to good.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    Tequilla said:

Daniels isn’t a bust

What do you think a recruiting bust is?

The traditional definition

I set a pretty low threshold of: if you don’t contribute at least one solid season to the school that signed you then you’re a recruiting bust.

JT Daniels might be good, but it won’t be for USC. Gunner Kiel was good at Cincy, Jeff Driskel was good at Louisiana Tech and is playing for the Broncos. Driskel actually leads the team in quarantines caused.

But I’m sure that doesn’t help Notre Dame or Florida. Driskel I almost didn’t want to label a bust since he started on an 11-2 team, but I made an exception for him since in a quarter of those games he couldn’t crack triple digit yardage and Florida told him to not come back once he got hurt.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

Daniels isn’t a bust

What do you think a recruiting bust is?

The traditional definition

I set a pretty low threshold of: if you don’t contribute at least one solid season to the school that signed you then you’re a recruiting bust.

JT Daniels might be good, but it won’t be for USC. Gunner Kiel was good at Cincy, Jeff Driskel was good at Louisiana Tech and is playing for the Broncos. Driskel actually leads the team in quarantines caused.

But I’m sure that doesn’t help Notre Dame or Florida. Driskel I almost didn’t want to label a bust since he started on an 11-2 team, but I made an exception for him since in a quarter of those games he couldn’t crack triple digit yardage and Florida told him to not come back once he got hurt.
    He probably thought you meant Jayden Daniels
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This is a fair point. I do think we have overrated Huard’s impact. He’s far from the only good QB and he’s a way more likely bust than either Egbuka and JTT.
    This is all I was trying to say. It's ceiling vs. probability of success. QB always will have highest ceiling. Number one overall DT is a sure thing as long as he stays off the ATVs...