Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

what's the real story behind chip usurping belloti?

BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
was all that stuff about belloti to the AD just a weird face saving move by nike? did chip totally snake it or was mike agreeable? obviously it was the right call but i always felt mike got shafted a little bit with how that went down.

thursday curiosity

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    As crazy as it sounds ... I 1000% believe this story because Bellotti was shady as shit (just look at the fucker smile or smirk or whatever) ...

Ultimately, and I don't mean this as a slight to the Quooks because a) they've had their fair share of success with this approach and b) to varying degrees every program has its skeletons and corruption embedded within, but this story is exactly why I view Oregon as one of the ultimate front running schools. The culture is all about how to get my props and as soon as adversity hits it's how to save face.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2020
    Sounds a lot like Petersen (the coach in waiting to admin. part), hopefully Jimmy is our Chip that cares about recruiting.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Out of all of the places to ask, you came here to DJ’s loony bin?

You made the right decision, because I know all of it. I was there. Like, literally - there. But that’s not how I know, nobody would ever tell me shit, let alone about this. They’d have these Duck luncheons or fundraisers or whatever at the MAC and my stepdad and dentist would go and I did when I was younger. I flesh out the narrative.

It was Bellotti’s idea. It was Barry Alvarez idea. He decided to do the head coach in waiting thing around then so people would stop wondering if Wisconsin football would go back to being dog shit when he had a coronary or retired. So Bellotti took Barry’s idea and came up with it. Or someone implanted in him that he came up with it.

Bellotti wanted to retire soon. He always wanted a legacy. That’s why he didn’t go to Ohio State or UCLA, not just to keep his PERS pension. He didn’t want to flop and be seen as a one trick pony. Like many college football coaches or successful people in competitive fields he’s almost certainly a sociopath. Anyway, he wanted credit where credit is due. It took Rich Brooks 10 years from getting a winning season to winning the conference. In six years Bellotti got a Cotton Bowl loss, screwed out of a Rose Bowl in 2000 by Joey Pianos and his 5 picks, and fucked by the BCS into a Fiesta Bowel instead of the national championship.

How did he do it? Bellotti was a CEO and a good football coach. Dude was an epic glad hander, talker, and had the type of sliding scale morality you get from someone with that mustache.

But mostly he hired great coordinators and was willing to adjust ahead of the times because that was how you won at Oregon. But fuckers kept taking his OCs, other than Ludwig. Koetter, Tedford, Pete gone before, because Bellotti had to make a Sophie’s Choice. Then he realized you can’t win with just with some good recruits and a good system when Pete Carroll is trotting out a roster of NFL players. So he switched to the spread. Got Crowton.

2006 was shitty with Dixon and Leaf taking turns throwing interceptions. But Bellotti knew this offense was the future. AND THEN THAT CRAZY FUCK Les Miles hires away Crowton. Mormon Crowton feels obliged to do him a favor and tells him about this chubby madman in bumfuck Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

You know what happens in 2007. Crowton and LSU win the title and Oregon comes within a knee ligament of losing in the championship game with a Heisman winner. Bellotti knew Chip was the golden goose before they embarrassed Michigan. It wasn’t just a magic playbook it was a devoted system.

And that system was going to get Mike Bellotti the godamn Rose Bowl he’s wanted for so long. Shit, maybe a notional championship. Everyone was loving this. But Chip started getting job offers. Not just OC at bigger school. Head Coach at lower tier SEC school type offers. So, head coach in waiting for Kelly and Mike uses him for another couple of years and then retires to the AD job and then retires with a huge pension.

But people, and by people I mean the ones that count, started getting nervous that everyone wanted the chubby golden goose. Bellotti wanted another year or two since 2008 was kind of a bust. But a $3 million handshake (Bobby Bowden made $2mil then) and a lot of creative accounting to get $40k a month is a good persuader.

He tried to fuck around as AD because that’s what Barry Alvarez did. Executed some orders, got bored, went to ESPN, took some coaching interviews to remain relevant or some shit. Got honorary posts and a ton of money.

Sorry it wasn’t as shady as you’d like. I do have a story about Herman Ho-Ching being paid by Nick Saban’s people to fumble to Amp something from Michigan State. Maybe it wasn’t Saban’s people, and maybe it wasn’t on purpose but it’s more entertaining.

I check this subforum like once a month and will come back more if the quality of posting is this good. Very insightful actually, thanks for writing that out.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2020
    Tequilla said:

As crazy as it sounds ... I 1000% believe this story because Bellotti was shady as shit (just look at the fucker smile or smirk or whatever) ...

Ultimately, and I don't mean this as a slight to the Quooks because a) they've had their fair share of success with this approach and b) to varying degrees every program has its skeletons and corruption embedded within, but this story is exactly why I view Oregon as one of the ultimate front running schools. The culture is all about how to get my props and as soon as adversity hits it's how to save face.

I feel like you didn't read his post. How did you get "shady" from a post written to basically say it wasn't shady?

And if by "front runner", you mean winning, then sign me up.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Sounds a lot like Petersen (the coach in waiting to admin. part), hopefully Jimmy is our Chip that cares about recruiting.

however it LIPOs on Jimmy, two things you can count on: (1) Jimmy is 20x the recruiter Chip was/is; and (2) Jimmy will not be your? Chip Kelly.

Kelly was an innovator and, as tired as I am of this term, a disruptor. Jimmy's ceiling is good to very good coach. That's it. He ain't innovating anything or changing the course of the game. Please.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2020
    Tequilla said:

Yes. Oregon. A football program that’s never faced and overcome any adversity ever.
  • Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2020
    Tequilla said:

Welcome to Kim Grinolds circa 2013. I’m hearing Monday. Hammertime.

What bunch of bullshit did I just read? Bellotti’s smile means he’s shady?

Hiring Bumbling Billy Bob Thornton as HC because Chip liked him and having NCAA penalties after a 2-year NCAA witch hunt cloud killed recruiting was some pretty severe adversity for the program, and the low point was one awful season and two mediocre seasons before winning the conference yet again and then another Rose Bowl win. Throw in whatever Willie Taggart was doing other than smoking Oregon kush all day for a year and that’s adversity handled well by the program.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Welcome to Kim Grinolds circa 2013. I’m hearing Monday. Hammertime.

What bunch of bullshit did I just read? Bellotti’s smile means he’s shady?

Hiring Bumbling Billy Bob Thornton as HC because Chip liked him and having NCAA penalties after a 2-year NCAA witch hunt cloud killed recruiting was some pretty severe adversity for the program, and the low point was one awful season and two mediocre seasons before winning the conference yet again and then another Rose Bowl win. Throw in whatever Willie Taggart was doing other than smoking Oregon kush all day for a year and that’s adversity handled well by the program.
    That's actually a fair call. Tequilla is a good poster, but he does suffer from that particular Grinolds variety of doogism. Washington is traditional, classy and does it the right way. Oregon takes shortcuts and is morally flawed.
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Gladstone said:

Out of all of the places to ask, you came here to DJ’s loony bin?

You made the right decision, because I know all of it. I was there. Like, literally - there. But that’s not how I know, nobody would ever tell me shit, let alone about this. They’d have these Duck luncheons or fundraisers or whatever at the MAC and my stepdad and dentist would go and I did when I was younger. I flesh out the narrative.

It was Bellotti’s idea. It was Barry Alvarez idea. He decided to do the head coach in waiting thing around then so people would stop wondering if Wisconsin football would go back to being dog shit when he had a coronary or retired. So Bellotti took Barry’s idea and came up with it. Or someone implanted in him that he came up with it.

Bellotti wanted to retire soon. He always wanted a legacy. That’s why he didn’t go to Ohio State or UCLA, not just to keep his PERS pension. He didn’t want to flop and be seen as a one trick pony. Like many college football coaches or successful people in competitive fields he’s almost certainly a sociopath. Anyway, he wanted credit where credit is due. It took Rich Brooks 10 years from getting a winning season to winning the conference. In six years Bellotti got a Cotton Bowl loss, screwed out of a Rose Bowl in 2000 by Joey Pianos and his 5 picks, and fucked by the BCS into a Fiesta Bowel instead of the national championship.

How did he do it? Bellotti was a CEO and a good football coach. Dude was an epic glad hander, talker, and had the type of sliding scale morality you get from someone with that mustache.

But mostly he hired great coordinators and was willing to adjust ahead of the times because that was how you won at Oregon. But fuckers kept taking his OCs, other than Ludwig. Koetter, Tedford, Pete gone before, because Bellotti had to make a Sophie’s Choice. Then he realized you can’t win with just with some good recruits and a good system when Pete Carroll is trotting out a roster of NFL players. So he switched to the spread. Got Crowton.

2006 was shitty with Dixon and Leaf taking turns throwing interceptions. But Bellotti knew this offense was the future. AND THEN THAT CRAZY FUCK Les Miles hires away Crowton. Mormon Crowton feels obliged to do him a favor and tells him about this chubby madman in bumfuck Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

You know what happens in 2007. Crowton and LSU win the title and Oregon comes within a knee ligament of losing in the championship game with a Heisman winner. Bellotti knew Chip was the golden goose before they embarrassed Michigan. It wasn’t just a magic playbook it was a devoted system.

And that system was going to get Mike Bellotti the godamn Rose Bowl he’s wanted for so long. Shit, maybe a notional championship. Everyone was loving this. But Chip started getting job offers. Not just OC at bigger school. Head Coach at lower tier SEC school type offers. So, head coach in waiting for Kelly and Mike uses him for another couple of years and then retires to the AD job and then retires with a huge pension.

But people, and by people I mean the ones that count, started getting nervous that everyone wanted the chubby golden goose. Bellotti wanted another year or two since 2008 was kind of a bust. But a $3 million handshake (Bobby Bowden made $2mil then) and a lot of creative accounting to get $40k a month is a good persuader.

He tried to fuck around as AD because that’s what Barry Alvarez did. Executed some orders, got bored, went to ESPN, took some coaching interviews to remain relevant or some shit. Got honorary posts and a ton of money.

Sorry it wasn’t as shady as you’d like. I do have a story about Herman Ho-Ching being paid by Nick Saban’s people to fumble to Amp something from Michigan State. Maybe it wasn’t Saban’s people, and maybe it wasn’t on purpose but it’s more entertaining.

I check this subforum like once a month and will come back more if the quality of posting is this good. Very insightful actually, thanks for writing that out.
    Thank you.
    But don’t get used to it, 90% of the content here is something Oregon fans already knew about the day before and no Washington fans care about.

As well as the occasional debate on why Vernon Adams is not in the NFL. I’m saying the main reason is that in the last 20 years there hasn’t been a single 5’10” 190 QB who also didn’t have a 4.5 40 that has been successful. I’m being convinced it’s because he threw 53 MPH instead of 55 MPH like Russell Wilson.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,470
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chip blackmailed Bellotti by threatening to reveal their secret love affair. Thought this was common knowledge by now.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Chip blackmailed Bellotti by threatening to reveal their secret love affair. Thought this was common knowledge by now.

Stretch out a little before jumping in. You’re rusty.