Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

That was a horrible performance by the O-line and run defense

NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
Should have lost that game if not for a few bonehead Chip moves that put his team in bad spots.

Shough played well. Oline was garbage. Felton looked like Bo Jackson against the defense.

Comments

• SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Agreed. The defense that was supposed to be the strength of this team is looking more like a liability.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Out of tackling leaders from 2019 the #2, 3, and 4 tacklers opted out in September. The #1, 6, 14, 16, 18 tacklers all graduated. #12 is not on the roster. There you go, 5 of the top 6 aren’t on the team anymore and the rotation guys that added depth are also gone.

The graduations happen to everyone, standard replacement. But when you lose those opt outs it hurts. Makes the whole defense worse since they’re interconnected. Even that you could overcome and be decent. The ones to help overcome have a broken leg and torn meniscus. No explanation for why guys who didn’t suck now suck.

Defense wasn’t even that bad against Stanford, and recovered against a good Wazzu offense after a horrid half. Today just sucked.

Offensive line: I didn’t want to get carried away and say they’re great after two games, but they were pretty good. No idea what the fuck happened today. UCLA was aggressive as fuck and they wilted.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Out of tackling leaders from 2019 the #2, 3, and 4 tacklers opted out in September. The #1, 6, 14, 16, 18 tacklers all graduated. #12 is not on the roster. There you go, 5 of the top 6 aren’t on the team anymore and the rotation guys that added depth are also gone.

The graduations happen to everyone, standard replacement. But when you lose those opt outs it hurts. Makes the whole defense worse since they’re interconnected. Even that you could overcome and be decent. The ones to help overcome have a broken leg and torn meniscus. No explanation for why guys who didn’t suck now suck.

Defense wasn’t even that bad against Stanford, and recovered against a good Wazzu offense after a horrid half. Today just sucked.

Offensive line: I didn’t want to get carried away and say they’re great after two games, but they were pretty good. No idea what the fuck happened today. UCLA was aggressive as fuck and they wilted.

UCLA did bring 6 often, and when they brought 5, they ran a lot of stunts. I’m surprised they didn’t run a couple backdoor screens behind the blitz. It was open all day.
  • lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555

UCLA did bring 6 often, and when they brought 5, they ran a lot of stunts. I’m surprised they didn’t run a couple backdoor screens behind the blitz. It was open all day.
    Oregon made them pay for the run blitzes though with the RPO. I am not going to quibble about 38 points after Arroyo. Likewise, Shough’s decision making will speed up. Cristobal even suggested Shough should’ve kept more.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

The one double screen towards the end of the first half would have been a 40 yard td untouched. Shough hung onto the ball a beat too long and got hit as he threw it (the refs incorrectly called it a fumble before review). Surprised they didn’t go back to it 2h
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557

I haven’t rewatched the game yet but that’s what I remember. In addition to the blitzes they were just very aggressive trying to jump the snap count. Got like 3-4 offsides, and a few more that should have been called because the UCLA players lined up with half their body on the other side of the football. If anyone is bringing 6 you have to make them pay. I did see some screens.

Doesn’t fully explain the lack of push in the running game. Wazzu and Stanford couldn’t stop them from opening lanes, UCLA did. That DT from Portland is good though, I’ll give him credit.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    ntxduck said:

The one double screen towards the end of the first half would have been a 40 yard td untouched. Shough hung onto the ball a beat too long and got hit as he threw it (the refs incorrectly called it a fumble before review). Surprised they didn’t go back to it 2h
    He missed a crossing pattern to Redd that also would have gone for big yards. Can't say that I really blame him he had Bruins in his lap but he just didn't see him. Overall I thought Shough played well considering the fact that had to easily be the most pressure he'd ever faced in a game.
  • DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2020