Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

This day in Music November 6

1894 - Adolph Sax
Adolph Sax, inventor of the saxophone.

1947 - John Wilson
John Wilson, drummer with the Northern Irish band Them who had the 1965 UK hits 'Baby, Please Don't Go' and 'Here Comes The Night' with Van Morrison on lead vocals. Morrison quit the band in 1966 and went on to a successful career as a solo artist.

1948 - Glenn Frey
Glenn Frey, guitar, vocals, the Eagles, (1977 US No.1 & UK No.8 single 'Hotel California', plus 5 US No.1 albums. ‘Greatest Hits 1971-1975’ is the second biggest selling album in the world with sales over 30m). Solo (1985 UK No.12 single 'The Heat Is On'). Frey died on 18 Jan 2016 died at the age of 67 in New York City from complications arising from rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and pneumonia.

1964 - Corey Glover
Corey Glover, Living Colour, (1991 UK No.12 single 'Love Rears Its Ugly Head').

1961 - Jimmy Dean
Jimmy Dean started a five week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Big Bad John', a No.2 on the UK chart. Jimmy went on to present a prime time variety show on US TV.

1965 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Get Off Of My Cloud', the group's second US No.1. The song knocked The Beatles 'Yesterday' from the No.1 position.

1968 - Grateful Dead
The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane played at the opening night of San Francisco's Fillmore West. Formerly known as the Carousel Ballroom it was briefly operated by a collective formed by the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service and Big Brother and the Holding Company as a social/musical "laboratory experiment". The venue Became famous under the direction of concert promoter Bill Graham from 1968 to 1971.

1968 - Joe Cocker
Joe Cocker was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with his version of The Beatles song 'With A Little Help From My Friends'. The song was also a UK No.1 for Wet Wet Wet in 1988 and Pop Idol duo Sam and Mark in 2004.

1976 - Steve Miller
The Steve Miller Band went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Rock 'n' Me', the group's second US No.1, a No.11 in the UK.

1982 - Jennifer Warnes
Jennifer Warnes and Joe Cocker started a three week run at No.1 on the US with a song taken from the film 'An Officer And A Gentleman', 'Up Where We Belong'.

1982 - Soft Cell
Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' achieved the longest unbroken run on the UK charts when it logged its 43rd week in the Top 100.

1993 - Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'd' Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That). The track was also a No.1 in over 25 other countries.

1993 - Pearl Jam
Pearl Jam went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Vs', selling 950,378 copies making it the highest sales in US album history in one week.

2005 - Madonna
Madonna scored her 36th Top Ten single with ‘Hung Up’, equaling the record with Elvis Presley for the most Top Ten singles. ‘Hung Up’ was also Madonna's 47th Top Forty single, the most for any female artist. The track sampled the instrumental riff from ABBA's 'Gimme, Gimme, Gimme'.

Comments