Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

After the 2021 NFL draft, who will be the Huskies’ next first-round pick?

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    My money is on Asa Turner
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,542 Swaye's Wigwam
    McDuffie. Turner (hopefully he's gotten more physical this offseason). Budda Baker's success might tempt a team to jump on a similar player from the same coach in Molden.

There is first round potential in at least two of the interior defensive linemen, but we'll see.

Keep this in the chat, but I hear Laitu Latu is night and day. For the better.

ATBSJBS, it's a passing league, and if you want in the first round, seems you're either a quarterback, rush end, receiver, or maybe left tackle. So it's tempting to look at some of the young talent at receiver and wonder. Only thing that makes that a shaky proposition is that a receiver needs competent QB play and a potent offense to look good for the NFL scouts. But throw Puka and Odunze on the list for shiggles and gits.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,949 Swaye's Wigwam
    One of the defensive rackles.

Odunze and McMillan would be good possibilities but someone will beat them there.
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,355
    As much as I want to say McDuffie... Baker, Murphy and Rapp weren't even first round picks... McDuffie is undersized so I can't see it.

I'll say we end up with a lot of early 2nd round to 3rd round picks in the coming years... never a bad thing... and Sav Smalls is my pick for our next 1st rounder.

• NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    dnc said:

My money is on Asa Turner

Linebackers are pretty rare in the 1st Round anymore, aren't they?
    ;)
  • DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,024
    From the players that we've seen, I only see McDuffie as a possible 1st rounder.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    edited November 2020

chuck said:

Odunze and McMillan would be good possibilities but someone will beat them there.

Don’t see Tuli or Taki being first rounders. Tuli maybe has an outside chance, but I doubt it. He will get drafted and play in the NFL.

Teams have gotten a little smarter and won’t waste a first rounder on a two down player. A run stopping DT in the first round is a wasted pick value wise.
    I generally agree, but this is still an odd comment considering it was only two years ago we had a run-stopping DT taken in the first round. And he's already widely considered the best nose tackle in the league.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

chuck said:

Don’t see Tuli or Taki being first rounders. Tuli maybe has an outside chance, but I doubt it. He will get drafted and play in the NFL.

Teams have gotten a little smarter and won’t waste a first rounder on a two down player. A run stopping DT in the first round is a wasted pick value wise.
    I generally agree, but this is still an odd comment considering it was only two years ago we had a run-stopping DT taken in the first round. And he's already widely considered the best nose tackle in the league.
    But he's not a one dimensional run stopper, he offers value as a pass rusher as well.

Which I think Tuitele will at the next level which makes him most likely of the DTs IMO.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,949 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

But he's not a one dimensional run stopper, he offers value as a pass rusher as well.

Which I think Tuitele will at the next level which makes him most likely of the DTs IMO.
    Yes. Roadie is probably right about the other guys. Tuitele could be a legit, 3 down lineman but they probably aren't.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 808
    I think Kyler Gordon could do it if he puts it all together. His raw tools are off the charts.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163
    dnc said:

chuck said:

True, but he's still only on the field for 65% of snaps, which is well below the 80-85% range that an impact 3T DT will usually get. And I think that's essentially Roadie's point regarding NTs and why it's hard to justify taking them early if they're not going to be on the field as often as other positions.