Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Emmett Watson and Lesser Seattle

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,399 Founders Club
Race and a few others will remember Emmett. He retired when I was in high school, so I remember him somewhat, along with his Lesser Seattle movement. He wanted to keep everyone from moving here. Now, the exodus is in reverse.

https://seattlestar.net/2015/11/gathering-lesser-seattle/

Comments

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,878 Standard Supporter
    edited October 2020
    I've got both of his books. Quintessential Seattleite BITD, when Seattle was only a slightly gay City, in a few pockets.

Today Seattle is the gayest City in the Universe, getting gayer and gayer each day.

No homophobin' - Ain't talkin' dicks in butts. Rather, gayer than a fop tea party in pre-revolutionary France, when men wore more perfume than women.

BITD Emmet would skewer them all - for the fags they were. Today? Nobody has balls bigger than raisins.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,684 Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    my dad gave me the comics and sports section to "read" when i was 3... it was Emmet Watson and Royal Brougham... it was like Barnum and Bailey, the guy was a huge character. And the answer to the trivia question is that he was 1-2 as a baseball player during his cup of coffee in the PCL.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    edited October 2020
    Thanks for the blast from the past Derek. I can still remember Emmett's voice, it suited him. That photo also reminds me of some of the classic Seattle cafes that are long gone. The Mecca is still there, but it's not the same place. You most definitely won't find an ashtray in it, nor the same characters. The Dart Inn on Westlake was a little seedier, but had great diner grub and maybe a bit more interesting clientele. It died before the city itself experienced its own death rattle. I really do miss Seattle. Unfortunately its dead carcass has been replaced by a monolithic, intolerant, soul-less left wing caricature of its former self.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,878 Standard Supporter

Thanks for the blast from the past Derek. I can still remember Emmett's voice, it suited him. That photo also reminds me of some of the classic Seattle cafes that are long gone. The Mecca is still there, but it's not the same place. You most definitely won't find an ashtray in it, nor the same characters. The Dart Inn on Westlake was a little seedier, but had great diner grub and maybe a bit more interesting clientele. It died before the city itself experienced its own death rattle. I really do miss Seattle. Unfortunately its dead carcass has been replaced by a monolithic, intolerant, soul-less left wing caricature of its former self.

See gayer and gayer each day comment, supra.

Even gayer? Taking pictures of food items and posting them on FB. That's nut-less Seattle in a nutshell, today.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,492 Founders Club
    (I will dare here and now to parenthetically speculate that Watson — a politically progressive Seattle native and lifelong resident — would have absolutely adored Kshama Sawant, the radical woman firebrand from South Asia who’s presently preventing Amazon-era Seattle from being ultimately consumed by idiocracy.) - 2015

That didn't age well
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,328 Swaye's Wigwam
    I blame GoreTex.