Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Perspective: we owe a debt of thanks to Mark Emmert; Scott Woodward and Dan Evans

TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,563
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited September 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
stay with me for a minute while I relay some history most simply do not know about... when Emmert came to UW in 2004 he was hired to go to work to build the business cash flow and prestige at UW

Emmert is the first UW alumni to serve as president of UW

He came in with the rep of solid management and professional magnetism With respect to developing research grants. The first thing he did in 2004 was bring over his 2nd in command from his previous gig at LSU (Scott Woodward).

Woodward was previously hired by LSU Chancellor Mark Emmert to serve as the Director of External Affairs (research contract building) at Louisiana State University.[7] The position entailed being a liaison between LSU and government and corporate officials and acting as an advisor to Chancellor Emmert on policy and government appropriations.[8] At LSU, Woodward also served as the Chancellor's Representative to the Athletic Department.[8] He held these positions at LSU until leaving for the University of Washington in 2004.[7]

Woodward was hired by the new President of the University of Washington, Mark Emmert, for the position of Vice President of External Affairs.[7] (developing research grant relationships, the primary business of the university of Washington) He served in this role until 2008.

During the 2004 - 2010 period of Emmerts leadership the UW started making a big move up in the food chain in building The research grant money machine that is going strong today. a lot of the credit goes to the UW medical research team which is Interbred with the local biotech community and together both sides of the business relationships have blossomed into world class business

lucky, however these are exactly the business Relationships that Emmert, Woodward and local business leaders were working to build.... today as a result of their efforts and those that have followed here is the result: as of 2018 the uw was ranked number one out of all public university in research grants... here is an article describing the evolved phenomenon of 1.3-1.5 billion annual research grants!!!

https://www.washington.edu/news/2018/12/07/uw-is-top-u-s-public-institution-for-federal-research-expenditures/

Emmert was hired to build the UW cash flow, however he is a fan of athletic sports and believes in business investment in the athletic dept. so after getting the ball rolling with research grant building his team started to decide how to address the issues

regarding athletics, as we all know by 2008 the UW athletic dept was a freaking mess so Emmert designated his top guy Woodward to become the athletic director in addition to continuing his other duties... they had had a similar relationship at LSU where Woodward operated as the Laison to Emmert with the athletic dept

During his first year Woodward then worked with Ex governor Dan Evans to form the public private basis of rebuilding the stadium to the initial investment tune of 275 million, all of which was approved during Emmerts leadership.

Emmert left in 2010 and Woodward stayed to continue to build both the grant development and athletic dept.... as ad he hired new coaches and began to rebuild the program from an athletic and financial standpoint including hiring Chris Peterson as he was leaving to go to Texas Tech.

As a point of interest, Woodward has been the AD now for several years at LSU, and is of course pleased with the results of his leadership. we were lucky to have him, and we also owe a great deal of thanks to Dan Evans and the business community as well for the success in rebuilding facilities which are the cornerstone of our future success

The odd thing to observe is Emmert acting as Ceo of the NCAA... can not make sense of the role, function or politics of that truly weird Institution and I have no idea what interests Emmerts to continue to be there

It’s easy to get lost with respect to the progress of the football program and not see the bigger picture... just my 2 cents

Hopefully current leadership doesn’t just screw the pooch and fuck it up now / we will see said the blind man to the deaf dawg

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,253
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Building a new stadium for the Huskies has been a no brainer since the 90s. Emmert went a long way towards killing the demand
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Not sure new guy is going to work out.

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,809
    M'eh. These days the Democratic candidate for Vice President of the US would be visiting Ted and telling everyone near and far just how proud she is of him, too.

• Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Wonder when people start kissing my ass for doing my job?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,253
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TommySQC said:

Wonder when people start kissing my ass for doing my job?

First!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    UW’s prowess at attracting fed $$ for research goes waaaaay back and far precedes Emmert.

One could argue that they dramatically under performed as fundraisers relative to the obscene wealth that surrounds UW. The endowment has grown but is still nothing special, especially relative to opportunity.

There is A LOT of money in Seattle and UW has benefitted from its proximity to a tech epicenter. A natural advantage they did not create and arguably didn’t fully exploit.

Let me put it this way: from my time in corporate finance, I’ve learned a bit from the pros what it takes to ask for money and win.
    I probably could have done better than those two.
  • Options

stay with me for a minute while I relay some history most simply do not know about... when Emmert came to UW in 2004 he was hired to go to work to build the business cash flow and prestige at UW

He came in with the rep of solid management and professional magnetism With respect to developing research grants. The first thing he did in 2004 was bring over his 2nd in command from his previous gig at LSU (Scott Woodward).

Woodward was previously hired by LSU Chancellor Mark Emmert to serve as the Director of External Affairs (research contract building) at Louisiana State University.[7] The position entailed being a liaison between LSU and government and corporate officials and acting as an advisor to Chancellor Emmert on policy and government appropriations.[8] At LSU, Woodward also served as the Chancellor's Representative to the Athletic Department.[8] He held these positions at LSU until leaving for the University of Washington in 2004.[7]

Woodward was hired by the new President of the University of Washington, Mark Emmert, for the position of Vice President of External Affairs.[7] (developing research grant relationships, the primary business of the university of Washington) He served in this role until 2008.

During the 2004 - 2010 period of Emmerts leadership the UW started making a big move up in the food chain in building The research grant money machine that is going strong today. a lot of the credit goes to the UW medical research team which is Interbred with the local biotech community and together both sides of the business relationships have blossomed into world class business

lucky, however these are exactly the business Relationships that Emmert, Woodward and local business leaders were working to build.... today as a result of their efforts and those that have followed here is the result: as of 2018 the uw was ranked number one out of all public university in research grants... here is an article describing the evolved phenomenon of 1.3-1.5 billion annual research grants!!!

https://www.washington.edu/news/2018/12/07/uw-is-top-u-s-public-institution-for-federal-research-expenditures/

Emmert was hired to build the UW cash flow, however he is a fan of athletic sports and believes in business investment in the athletic dept. so after getting the ball rolling with research grant building his team started to decide how to address the issues

regarding athletics, as we all know by 2008 the UW athletic dept was a freaking mess so Emmert designated his top guy Woodward to become the athletic director in addition to continuing his other duties... they had had a similar relationship at LSU where Woodward operated as the Laison to Emmert with the athletic dept

During his first year Woodward then worked with Ex governor Dan Evans to form the public private basis of rebuilding the stadium to the initial investment tune of 275 million, all of which was approved during Emmerts leadership.

Emmert left in 2010 and Woodward stayed to continue to build both the grant development and athletic dept.... as ad he hired new coaches and began to rebuild the program from an athletic and financial standpoint including hiring Chris Peterson as he was leaving to go to Texas Tech.

As a point of interest, Woodward has been the AD now for several years at LSU, and is of course pleased with the results of his leadership. we were lucky to have him, and we also owe a great deal of thanks to Dan Evans and the business community as well for the success in rebuilding facilities which are the cornerstone of our future success

The odd thing to observe is Emmert acting as Ceo of the NCAA... can not make sense of the role, function or politics of that truly weird Institution and I have no idea what interests Emmerts to continue to be there

It’s easy to get lost with respect to the progress of the football program and not see the bigger picture... just my 2 cents

Hopefully current leadership doesn’t just screw the pooch and fuck it up now / we will see said the blind man to the deaf dawg

This is a terrible post.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

This is a terrible post.
    You read it?